Porto tips

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
NSC is a haven of world-weary travellers, so i dare now to appear and ask if anyone has any must-see sites in perhaps slightly rainy Porto for me to gawp at in amazement. Not been before, but the girlfriend did about 25 years ago last, so any modern developments there to recommend i'd be grateful for. Off this weekend.

Yes, i have looked online, but i value YOUR opinions (secretly mostly.

Cheers!

Meade

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I've been there a couple of times in recent years for very short trips with work. I spent most of the time I had available just walking around the centre. The historic centre is fascinating with views over the town from the area by the cathedral and is inhabited by families that have been there for generations rather than being gentrified. The shopping centre has some unusual and quirky shops in ornate buildings and a nice covered market. The view from Gaia across the river to Porto is spectacular. Sao Bento station has some interesting murals. If the weather isn't too wet you could also walk or get a bus (or tram part way) to Foz which is the seaside bit, some of which has a bizarre resemblance to Hove seafront. Food and drink very cheap with Douro wines excellent and good value. They eat a lot of cod but the local speciality is one of the world's unhealthiest cooked sandwiches; Franceshina....steak, egg, ham, sausage and melted cheese in a spicy orange sauce with chips.. worth trying once. I found people very friendly and my lack of Portuguese wasn't a problem.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've been there a couple of times in recent years for very short trips with work. I spent most of the time I had available just walking around the centre. The historic centre is fascinating with views over the town from the area by the cathedral and is inhabited by families that have been there for generations rather than being gentrified. The shopping centre has some unusual and quirky shops in ornate buildings and a nice covered market. The view from Gaia across the river to Porto is spectacular. Sao Bento station has some interesting murals. If the weather isn't too wet you could also walk or get a bus (or tram part way) to Foz which is the seaside bit, some of which has a bizarre resemblance to Hove seafront. Food and drink very cheap with Douro wines excellent and good value. They eat a lot of cod but the local speciality is one of the world's unhealthiest cooked sandwiches; Franceshina....steak, egg, ham, sausage and melted cheese in a spicy orange sauce with chips.. worth trying once. I found people very friendly and my lack of Portuguese wasn't a problem.

Excellent. Cheers for that. I'll print that off in my mind.
My girlfriend and i on our european travels always tend to ride a funicular, and i am glad to see Porto has one too. Some of them are excellently rickety and seems to be powered by two old chaps spinning some rusty wheel down in the cabin at the base of the cable, almost cartoonishly and inexpressively, as the riders shake their way very slowly to the heavens.

explymouthnige

explymouthnige
Jul 5, 2009
Upper Beeding
Also worth a trip down to the riverside where all the Port (as in strong wine) Distillaries are. Although you need to have good lungs to get back up the hills into town!!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
There is a music festival in Porto in May which I am seriously thinking of going to. Its in half term though so flights are expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports