Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Porridge

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lidl’s porridge oats - half a mugful, cooked on the hob with a generous volume of semi skimmed milk (lactose-free …. a helpful suggestion from [MENTION=15734]harry[/MENTION] Wilson’s tackle …. let’s not go there).

Served with a dash of cold milk, a tiny bit of sugar and some dried cranberries or mixed berries.

That’s my staple breakfast 365 going back decades. Love it, it just happens to also be an incredibly healthy start to the day and keeps me going easily to lunchtime.

Served with a grapefruit juice, coffee and tea.

The simple things in life :smile:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The warm weather means we've not started porridge season properly but I'm getting a bit bored with seeds and yoghurt. Recommendations for non- sweet alternatives please!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I swore I’d never go back to eating peasants food again once I made my fortune

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As a kid we had a basic porridge mix of oats and water served on a plate, then made a hole in the middle to tip some milk in then sprinkled with sugar. These days I still make the same porridge mix but substitute the milk and sugar for chopped bananas and berries.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I go to bed just to get round to my next porridge fix as quick as possible.

The box informs me I'm eating 4 portions worth in one sitting but it's just right. Semi Skimmed milk to cook. Mix Raisins and LOADS AND LOADS of peanut butter into it. None of that sweetened nonsense. Pure 100% peanuts with nothing added. Glorious. Turns the porridge into a huge stodgey mass of deliciousness

FInished with cold milk on top and, if I'm treating myself, the SMALLEST bit of jam to basically create mega Peanut Butter/Jelly combo.

Added some banana and blueberries to today's serving.

If you don't feel a little bit sick after then you haven't consumed enough.

Screw it, i'm off for another bowl now.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I go to bed just to get round to my next porridge fix as quick as possible.

The box informs me I'm eating 4 portions worth in one sitting but it's just right. Semi Skimmed milk to cook. Mix Raisins and LOADS AND LOADS of peanut butter into it. None of that sweetened nonsense. Pure 100% peanuts with nothing added. Glorious. Turns the porridge into a huge stodgey mass of deliciousness

FInished with cold milk on top and, if I'm treating myself, the SMALLEST bit of jam to basically create mega Peanut Butter/Jelly combo.

Added some banana and blueberries to today's serving.

If you don't feel a little bit sick after then you haven't consumed enough.

Screw it, i'm off for another bowl now.
My god. Have you had your cholesterol checked recently? Perhaps the oats are cancelling out the peanut butter!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, not Norman Stanley Fletcher.

We've started eating porridge again and I'm wondering how others make theirs.

We use a mug of Flavahan's jumbo oats, a mug of water and one of semiskinned milk (sometimes Oatly).
Soak overnight.
Bring to bubble while stirring.
Adorn with yoghurt, banana, chia seeds (we are in Fiveways) and maybe honey, or as an alternative, some warmed summer fruit mix from the freezer section of the supermarket.
Scoff.

Anyone do salt?
It was always porridge with salt in Scotland when I were a lad

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
cup of oats, cup skim milk, 2 min in m/wave add fresh fruit. pomegranate seeds and/or blueberries are favs

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Steel-cut oats -- store brand but I keep them in a McCann's tin for show. Dried apples and cranberries. Maple syrup. Dab butter, spoonful plain yoghurt (not %0 -- nasty)
Soaked overnight to reduce cooking time.

McCann%27s_Steel_Cut_Irish_Oatmeal_tin.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lidl’s porridge oats - half a mugful, cooked on the hob with a generous volume of semi skimmed milk (lactose-free …. a helpful suggestion from [MENTION=15734]harry[/MENTION] Wilson’s tackle …. let’s not go there).

Served with a dash of cold milk, a tiny bit of sugar and some dried cranberries or mixed berries.

That’s my staple breakfast 365 going back decades. Love it, it just happens to also be an incredibly healthy start to the day and keeps me going easily to lunchtime.

Served with a grapefruit juice, coffee and tea.

The simple things in life :smile:
I'm similar but 3 mins in the microwave rather than hob means less energy used, and only the bowl I'm eating from is dirtied. I then go sliced banana, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a few sultanas.

The tiny bit of sugar and dried berries or sultanas are just sugar, so does slightly dent it being incredibly healthy. Agree with you though, and just finished mine now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here