Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poor show BBC Sport website re Womens Football

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Now I know most of you have a very low opinion of Womens Football, but the England Women are today playing the Netherlands in a Euro 2013 qualifying match. Now first good on the BBC for showing it on BBC 2 this afternoon at 5pm (go on, watch it and support the ladies!), but for some reason there is NO mention of it on the BBC Sport website - not on the main page (expected), or the football page (expected a link), and definitely not on the Womens Football pages or fixture list - come on BBC whats going on???

*rant over*

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Call me old fashioned and there used to be a girl at infant school who could play most of the boys off the park,but..............i just don't like Women's football..

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I've tried before quite a few times, it was crap. I'm all for women playing if they choose, as I would be for men playing netball but its not a spectator sport I'd watch, seen better league 2 matches than many international womens games. enjoy it.... Holland v Portugal for me

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Call me old fashioned and there used to be a girl at infant school who could play most of the boys off the park,but..............i just don't like Women's football..

My 7 year old daughter is like this. She plays every playtime and twice a week after school. She asked me, when I become a famous footballer, will people come and watch me? Attitudes like that of the BBC will prevent the game from growing for women. Yes many people don't like it at the moment but that's because its prevented from growing as a game due to lack of coverage, its a vicious circle really. But yes, the BBC are supposed to represent the nation male and female and should be reporting on these sort of matches.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Sorry but the vast majority of people are just not interested. I've tried to sit and watch on a few occasions (usually the FA cup Final) but the standard is just too poor to really enjoy, I'm sure most people share this opinion. I'm not suggesting for one minute that women shouldn't play football but I'm not going to feign an interest in something that I just can't get into.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I've tried before quite a few times, it was crap. I'm all for women playing if they choose, as I would be for men playing netball but its not a spectator sport I'd watch, seen better league 2 matches than many international womens games. enjoy it.... Holland v Portugal for me

This is the important bit for me too-Not a slight on Women as there are some very very good ladies out there who could give many a man a run for there money,
In all sports.
In an ideal world(ME as ALBION CHAIRMAN) i would do away with the Brighton Ladies team from cost saving point of view..

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
My 7 year old daughter is like this. She plays every playtime and twice a week after school. She asked me, when I become a famous footballer, will people come and watch me? Attitudes like that of the BBC will prevent the game from growing for women. Yes many people don't like it at the moment but that's because its prevented from growing as a game due to lack of coverage, its a vicious circle really. But yes, the BBC are supposed to represent the nation male and female and should be reporting on these sort of matches.
In fairness, the BBC is the only football site I visit that actually does have links, blogs and articles relating to women's football on a regular basis. OK maybe they've been pushed out by all the Euro-hype recently but I think it's fair to say that the beeb is usually a decent source for women's football.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I suppose the OP and you are to some degree correct on this point...

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
This is the important bit for me too-Not a slight on Women as there are some very very good ladies out there who could give many a man a run for there money,
In all sports.
In an ideal world(ME as ALBION CHAIRMAN) i would do away with the Brighton Ladies team from cost saving point of view..
then you obviously dont read your match program as the albion ladies are now in the top flight and we also have a couple of young girls on the fringes of the england team
also would you scrap all the youth teams and disabled teams to save how much exactly
thank god we dont all live in your ideal world

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
then you obviously dont read your match program as the albion ladies are now in the top flight and we also have a couple of young girls on the fringes of the england team
also would you scrap all the youth teams and disabled teams to save how much exactly
thank god we dont all live in your ideal world

I just don't like Women's football-i could not care if we won the World cup......and no i would not scrap the future of the 1st team..

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
what about the disabled team just coz they are not as good, or entertaining as the first 11. Tell you what lets just scrap all amateur sport, coz the players are not as good as the profesionals. Or we could scrap gullys gang think how much that costs, coz we dont need kids coming to the albion paying less than adult prices. and if we stop them all early enough they wont get interested at all. Then in a few years you will be able to spend your retirment sitting in an empty stadium, with a few other sour old gits

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
what about the disabled team just coz they are not as good, or entertaining as the first 11. Tell you what lets just scrap all amateur sport, coz the players are not as good as the profesionals. Or we could scrap gullys gang think how much that costs, coz we dont need kids coming to the albion paying less than adult prices. and if we stop them all early enough they wont get interested at all. Then in a few years you will be able to spend your retirment sitting in an empty stadium, with a few other sour old gits

Its not a case of scrapping anything, if women and the disabled want to play football then great. But very few people are actually interested in sitting down and watching it, there is simply no DEMAND to have this brought to a mass market on our screens. Like handball and canoeing, its a niche sport with limited appeal.

The womens FA Cup Final pulled in eight and a half thousand the other week, and most of them were kids. Carry on by all means, but you cannot expect mass coverage from broadcasters and the media when the punters just ain't interested.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
easy it was an answer to this line
ps i dont and have never said i expect it to be mass market no more than say songs of praise, or the sky at night are

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here