Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor old Bury

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
In the meantime, with it all hinging on the suspended clubs ability to start the next season, nobody in the current league would know how many were to be relegated at the end of the season, and nobody in the league below would know how many were being promoted. "Sorry Plymouth, your Playoff win counts for nothing, because Bolton have proved they can start next season in L1 after all. Better luck next year. Oh, and Southend - yeah, turns out you ARE down after all..."

I'd say that would have quite an impact on them.

That would certainly be the case if they were allowed to recommence in the same division. I would suggest that the recommencement should be in the division below. It will therefore be known that one of the relegation places has been filled for certain and the number of teams promoted from the division below will not be impacted. I think that recommencement in the division below would be fairer on other teams in the same division who get relegated but have managed to keep themselves afloat. In Bury’s case it would have effectively nullified their promotion, but at least offered a better chance of continued existence.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a discussion to be had regarding clubs living well beyond their means and the discussion about having part time players and part time leagues have been suggested for quite a while now..long before our travails!

Football is a rich mans plaything at the moment and in the case of third and fourth division clubs, and in effect a lot of second division clubs, many of them, if businesses selling toilet rolls for example would have gone under. Football is a different thing as it is a tribal sport...a tribal sport that is trying to be run as a business. Without TV monies, that business is not viable...without rich people, that business is not viable. We have been told that due to tv our attendance monies is a splash in the ocean against running a football club.

That is the problem and I think that Bury may be the start of the domino effect.

What a complete prat you are.

You clearly are no football fan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What was the EFL supposed to do?
This goes back a long way and I don't know what the split of responsibility is between the EFL and the FA, but something should have been done decades ago to safeguard clubs from people like Archer.

The only thing a club really needs (obviously aside from the fans, which goes without saying) is a ground. The governing bodies should have put something in place that meant that a club's ground could never be sold without permission from the governing body. It could possibly have even meant transferring ownership of the ground to the governing bodies. This would of course have meant that clubs like us wouldn't be able to borrow against the ground, but clubs shouldn't be borrowing against their ground anyway.

Then, if a club were to go bust, they'd still have a ground and fans, so could easily start from the bottom again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey I thought you knew me!!!!! What a ridiculous thing to say..airbrushing history...FFS

I was referring to now as he is our bankroll. If he wasn’t around and decided to walk away, or had to, we would be seriously in the shit, but that seems to be the way at the moment

To keep going , you need a chair with deep pockets or a board who also have the same.

We are VERY fortunate to have a supporter who has very deep pockets. a

Not suggesting that it was you doing the airbrushing but these days it’s all about what TB has done (which is massive) but poor old DK hardly gets mentioned. I have to confess that I probably enjoyed DK’s tenure as much as what we have now. The hiring of Nobby Horton at Gillingham, the hiring of MA mark 1, the unbelievable success we had at Withdean. I probably enjoyed the cameraderie and fighting against the odds just as much as I have enjoyed the Amex years.

I am just a little pissed off that the clashing of two massive egos means we are seeing some re writing of history. DK is a big part of how we got where we are now but apart from on here it hardly gets a mention.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
DK was the man for the moment. Entrepreneurial optimism, the ability to inspire followers and a knack of recruiting key personnel. A great man in our history.

If TB and the club were airbrushing him from history, I doubt the main bar at the front of the Amex would be named after him. Especially as they could get more money by calling it, "the Legal and General" bar or something

Not suggesting that it was you doing the airbrushing but these days it’s all about what TB has done (which is massive) but poor old DK hardly gets mentioned. I have to confess that I probably enjoyed DK’s tenure as much as what we have now. The hiring of Nobby Horton at Gillingham, the hiring of MA mark 1, the unbelievable success we had at Withdean. I probably enjoyed the cameraderie and fighting against the odds just as much as I have enjoyed the Amex years.

I am just a little pissed off that the clashing of two massive egos means we are seeing some re writing of history. DK is a big part of how we got where we are now but apart from on here it hardly gets a mention.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can’t help but feel that instant expulsion from the FL is very harsh, especially when there is no impact on other clubs for the remainder of the season. Instead I’d like to see clubs in this situation have their FL status temporarily suspended for the remainder of the season and have their membership reassessed say at the end of the following May. That would allow much more time for clubs to be refinanced or sold and, if that happens, they would be allowed to recommence the following season.

And what is their playing squad going to do? Spend a season not getting paid or find another job.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Where is that happening? I've seen no examples of anyone airbrushing or re-writing history

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And you think I don’t know that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dick Knight saved the club, Bloom took it on when Falmer was approved no?
Wasn't Bloom investing millions to help with the Falmer application?

I feel the need to say this because DK is slowly being airbrushed from our history and being portrayed as a nutty old eccentric more and more as time goes on.
Airbrushed and portrayed by whom? Us fans clearly remember, and the club don't comment on things like this. And the main bar is named after him. What are the club supposed to do?

I say it again Dick Knight was the one who saved the club
And he gets recognition for that.
Tony Bloom has done more than we could ever dream of but I’m not sure we wouldn’t have survived as some lowly lower league club if he hadn’t.
None of us are sure. We may have survived, we may not have, but we wouldn't have had our own ground, so it wouldn't be a surprise if we had eventually gone under.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
DK was the man for the moment. Entrepreneurial optimism, the ability to inspire followers and a knack of recruiting key personnel. A great man in our history.

If TB and the club were airbrushing him from history, I doubt the main bar at the front of the Amex would be named after him. Especially as they could get more money by calling it, "the Legal and General" bar or something

Agree. I also believe that for most of that time the bulk of the financial support was from TB.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I went to quite a few of the public enquiry meetings for Falmer and Dick Knight constantly stuck to his answer when asked about funding for the stadium in light of fast rising steel prices.

"we are confident the funding in in place"

In hindsight, I'm reading that that TB was promising to underwrite, but wanted at that time to stay behind the scenes.

Before that, ie when Knight first took over the club while at Gillingham, it was clearly just Knight, Perry and the consortium. Nobody with actual serious wealth.

Agree. I also believe that for most of that time the bulk of the financial support was from TB.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Gutted for Bury fans, I though about what I would do if the Albion did not exist as it was so close in 1997, and would make me feel sick with grief at the thought. I hope they can re-form and use the stadium. A reformed Albion would have been the only team I would of be able to support if we had gone the same way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gutted for Bury fans, I though about what I would do if the Albion did not exist as it was so close in 1997, and would make me feel sick with grief at the thought. I hope they can re-form and use the stadium. A reformed Albion would have been the only team I would of be able to support if we had gone the same way.

If they own the stadium it will be liquidated won't it? Aldershot were only readmitted to Isthmian League Division Three back in '92 but The Recreation Ground was owned by the council who couldn't find another tenant, so they allowed Aldershot Town to play there.

Yoda

English & European
If they own the stadium it will be liquidated won't it? Aldershot were only readmitted to Isthmian League Division Three back in '92 but The Recreation Ground was owned by the council who couldn't find another tenant, so they allowed Aldershot Town to play there.

One of the Supporters Club chairs was on TV this morning saying he had already been speaking with the local Council regarding Gigg Lane. Apparently they said to him that either any change of use or planning applications will be rejected unless a new stadium is built in it's place.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Granted that DK only has a fraction of TB’s wealth, but DK had secured finance for the Amex. It was the credit crunch that pulled the rug from under his feet and effectively forced him to cede control to TB. If it were not for the credit crunch the club would now have mountains of institutional debt, agreed, but no way would DK have ever allowed us to go bust.

The club was as near as bust in the early 2000's with Ecovert about to shut Withdean as they hadn't been paid, Dick Tight just didn't have the cash and until Tony Bloom saved us we were nearly going under .

As for AMEX Dick Tight didn't have enough finance to build a complete stadium hence one stand and one temporary one was all he could do in the original plans.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why have you so much antagonism towards DK? I know you like to play the cheekiest chappie that everyone loves, but there must be something deep down that keeps you going like this.

The club was as near as bust in the early 2000's with Ecovert about to shut Withdean as they hadn't been paid, Dick Tight just didn't have the cash and until Tony Bloom saved us we were nearly going under .

As for AMEX Dick Tight didn't have enough finance to build a complete stadium hence one stand and one temporary one was all he could do in the original plans.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If you have to ask that question then you really don't understand local football clubs and their supporters and what it brings to, and is to the community.

I don't think you understand the difference between local sides and professional football clubs either. It's a business nowadays end of. If you don't have sufficient revenue it's going to be very difficult to compete.
As i said the Premier league and it's billions could do a lot more. I hate the greed of it and always have done. As it stands this is my last season as a season ticket holder. I've had enough of football now and the tipping point is VAR. If Var is the future then i don't want to be part of it. It's not the football i grew up to and love.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. I feel for the Bury fans - awful news.
2. So much for the 'Fit and Proper' test for buyers of clubs - a joke.
3. The EFL have now set a precedent, so with many clubs in a similar boat to Bury and with the same cost pressures this expulsion could be the first of many.

What's sad with Bury - and unusual in a way - is that they've gone under after achieving promotion, paying players wages they could not afford, and from League 2 to League 1 where the leap is normally not that great. But where you have a League system where Prem turnover is £150 mill per season, Championship is £30 mill and League 1 is £10 mill you're always going to have clubs gambling their future and casualties are inevitable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They would have that choice, similar to the position that the current Bury players are in.

Totally different. Your daying they have the choice to stay and play no football for the rest of the season in the hope the club get sorted and are allowed to play next season as opposed to their contracts now being cancelled and finding another club that actually pays wages. Dale is struggling to pay wages as it is so with no foreseeable income what do you think he's going to do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here