Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poor grammar

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think there's a slight differance between a few spelling mistakes and someone being knifed.

Well of course there is and I didn't claim otherwise. My point was that just because something isn't the most important thing in the world doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about it. I'm not a natural speller or a perfect typist but I do get annoyed when people just don't care about things they could easily get right.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
The most common misuse is the "there/their" one, as in...

"there better than us"
"it's over their"

You can throw in "they're" to the mix and then THEY'RE in a whole world of trouble. There I've said it, their use of grammar is terrible.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Whilst I'd say it's not terribly important on a football forum, it does tend to belie the intelligence of the poster if they have bad grammar and/or spelling.

So my advice is - if you want to be taken seriously then just spend a bit of time with your posts....and please, please, please don't type 'should OF'. It's like fingers down a blackboard to me.

Most of the time I can live with bad spelling and grammar, and as long as I can understand what's being said, then it's not too much of a problem.
BUT, the one thing that really pisses me off is when people say "bored of" or fed up of".
It's " bored WITH" and "fed up WITH". Even the media are doing it now!
That's quite interesting, actually. I've been using bored of and bored with all my life without even an inkling that one might be incorrect. Time for a rethink, methinks!

That's a 'haitch', not an 'haitch'
;)
I must disagree, after all it's perfectly acceptable to say or write an hotel.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I immediately skip threads if the poster is illiterate. If you can't even be bothered to learn ONE language properly then you don't deserve to have people listen to and respect your opinion.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Claptrap. There have always been some people who can spell and get their grammar right, and those that can't. And teaching it well only increases the chances of people getting it right, it doesn't guarantee correct spelling and grammar.

Yes, there are things which are more important, but the ability to articulate well helps enormously with your ability to affect your world to your benefit. If there is one thing which is empowering, it is the ability to express yourself, and therefore to be taken seriously by the people to whom you write. I've worked with teachers improving literacy skills in adults with poor education, and the thing we learnt very quickly was that the way to help these people was to teach them how to write letters to the council, the police, social workers, social services and the like. Their well-written letters, taken seriously, led the council to deal with the longstanding problem with their heating in their council house, got the police to sort out the problem neighbours, got the social workers to understand their problems with their kids, got social services to give them what they were due. Literacy, including good spelling and good grammar matters; it leads to better lives.

Claptrap yourself!
If they had learnt it properly in the first place, they would be capable of writing all letters properly, with no assistance and you would be out of a job.
Listening at school is the only ingredient missing.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Fatbadger, how can you be taken seriously for an important position if you can't spell.
Once you get the job with 'others' help with applications, how long do you think it will be before you get found out?

Would you normally start a sentence with "Now"? Your sentence ain't very grammatical like!
I don't have a problem beginning sentences with such an adverb, even for formal English. On a board such as NSC I type informally, more or less as I would speak. This means that I sometimes even start sentences with a preposition, something I would never allow when proof reading a manuscript.

It's like fingers down a blackboard to me.
Finger nails.
I suppose we have to partly blame the shortening to could've, should've and would've for the abomination that you mentioned.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Some of the problem has to be linked to the massive increase in the use of word processors.

I have just typed the phrase "I would of done that" into "Word" and it says there is nothing incorrect. If Bill and his boys say that it is correct, then it must be correct.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
In my opinion, incorrect spelling or grammar give the reader an opportunity to dismiss whatever point the poster is trying to make, based on an assumption that the poster is stupid. I'm not saying that the assumption is fair, but why give someone an opportunity to make it through laziness?

In my opinion, incorrect spelling or grammar gives the reader an opportunity to dismiss whatever point the poster is trying to make, based on an assumption that the poster is stupid. I'm not saying that the assumption is fair, but why give someone an opportunity to make it through laziness?
Of course it's fair, you complete retard! :D

Last edited:

Fatbadger, how can you be taken seriously for an important position if you can't spell.
Once you get the job with 'others' help with applications, how long do you think it will be before you get found out?

You appear to have misunderstood my post. Never mind. Perhaps 'comprehension' wasn't taught in your school. Or perhaps you weren't paying attention.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You appear to have misunderstood my post. Never mind. Perhaps 'comprehension' wasn't taught in your school. Or perhaps you weren't paying attention.

Having attained an engineering degree along with 3 'A' levels, 8 'O' levels, 2 'CSEs' and a boat load of vocational qualifications I must have heard something, eh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here