Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey's view of the amex.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Lets face it, there would be plenty saying the same thing about them if the roles were reversed.

Exactly my point. Can't understand the mentality to go out and purposely find something that is going to upset people. That said the berk from Grimsby and is son seem to think its a badge of honour starting a thread that gets pages of replies so maybe others do to?

However, I would say that most games at the Amex have a great atmosphere

REALLY? I can think of one game where I've thought wow what an atmosphere. That was the Burnley game. Some games are ok but more often than not I'd say it was poor than it was good. Even the Donny game went flat for a long time.

and do you really think the Amex is "soulless"?

To be honest at times, yes. That said off the top of my head I can't think modern stadium that is any good in that respect. Newcastle if that counts?

Anyway, now that Pompey are the worst team in the south with an infrastructure to match their noddy stadium, we will have to get to used to their fans banging on at teams like Brighton, Southampton and Reading using words like "no atmosphere", "flatpack", "souless" and so on.

What just like we did to every single club with a new stadium pre the Amex days? In fact it still goes on now! How many people still refer to the Emirates as the library or something equally as "witty"?

And we in turn will patronisingly pat our little south coast brothers on the head for this, as they spend the next decade trying to get out of the bottom half of professional football, often in front of 6-7,000 at their dreadful, squalid, crumbling "stadium".

Sounds familiar! I wouldn't wish those days on anyone.....apart from Pompey, Palace, Spurs, actually pretty much every other team. :smile:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i think opposition fans just think its a lot of money, which it is.

And sure maybe you could build one for a lot less, but i guarantee you it will be shit in comparison

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They had sold 6,700 ST's as of a week ago so will likely not drop below 10k all season. My £100 e/w thinks they will dominate at home and away
Yes, this season their gates will be fine. A bit like us when Gritt arrived and gates trebled in the last third of the 1996/7 season.

But hopefully, they will have a shit season or maybe even two, and we will see gates hovering around the 7,000 mark at nottarf krap in 2015 for more piss poor division 4 football.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sadly, at that level, they're still seen as a big club, and so will be able to attract players ahead of many others in that league. Doubtless their players won't be earning peanuts either.

Even with new owners, I would still bank on them spending more than they earn in revenue. They should have a reasonable season when you consider the teams they'll be up against. Shame they missed out on a nice derby with Aldershot though. Imagine the collective IQ of the crowd at that match. Could be a record low.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I thought that there were quite a few positive comments in there from Pompey fans also.
There is almost a bit of "No one likes us we don't care" in this thread.

We ought to chill out a bit and enjoy the positive comments, we're very lucky with our superb stadium and Pompey aren't so lucky with their antiquated ground.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Sadly, at that level, they're still seen as a big club, and so will be able to attract players ahead of many others in that league. Doubtless their players won't be earning peanuts either.

Even with new owners, I would still bank on them spending more than they earn in revenue. They should have a reasonable season when you consider the teams they'll be up against. Shame they missed out on a nice derby with Aldershot though. Imagine the collective IQ of the crowd at that match. Could be a record low.

They do seem to be taking their wage cap seriously: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/p...er-shows-pompey-wage-cap-is-serious-1-5240340. You'd hope that a trust would have a different attitude to their previous sets of owners. Probably should get the benefit of the doubt for the moment?

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Saying the same crap as everyone else. The only opinion that matters is do we like the stadium.

The atmosphere is mainly great only part I can grumble about is I can't hear away fans from north stand and i'm sure the away fans can say same thing.

The transport issues are not as bad as everyone makes out, would be nice to have a few pubs around the ground but you can't have everything.
I know the NS is loud, I sit in there, but you simply can't hear it from the away seats. Its a shame we don't have a rowdier South stand, I think that would really help the atmosphere.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Am I the only one who doesn't care what they think? Hell, I don't even care what you lot think. It is where my team play so it is where I watch the majority of my football. Everyone else's opinion of that is irrelevant. If you don't like the stadium you don't have to go there. Simples. (Please can we have a meerkat smilie?)

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I sit in the middle of the WSU and I can quite safely say a full contingent of away fans are noisier than The North Stand, why? I don't know.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not like we have any complete idiots on this forum making daft comments about other clubs...

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I sit in the middle of the WSU and I can quite safely say a full contingent of away fans are noisier than The North Stand, why? I don't know.

Agreed, the North Stand don't even come CLOSE to the likes of the Leeds or Wrecsam fans. Not intentionally fishing, but it's true :shrug:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Exactly my point. Can't understand the mentality to go out and purposely find something that is going to upset people. That said the berk from Grimsby and is son seem to think its a badge of honour starting a thread that gets pages of replies so maybe others do to?

REALLY? I can think of one game where I've thought wow what an atmosphere. That was the Burnley game. Some games are ok but more often than not I'd say it was poor than it was good. Even the Donny game went flat for a long time.

To be honest at times, yes. That said off the top of my head I can't think modern stadium that is any good in that respect. Newcastle if that counts?

What just like we did to every single club with a new stadium pre the Amex days? In fact it still goes on now! How many people still refer to the Emirates as the library or something equally as "witty"?

Sounds familiar! I wouldn't wish those days on anyone.....apart from Pompey, Palace, Spurs, actually pretty much every other team. :smile:

I take it you enjoyed withdean then?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's the green eyed monster. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was amused by the poster's gripe that the ground is 'miles from the city centre'. No it isn't, it's under 3 miles and there are direct transport links from the stadium that get you to the city centre. It's not like the ground is in the countryside 5 miles from the nearest train station.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone visited the thread starters fantastic Oxford stadium? Is it better than the Amex, I think it might be :rolleyes:

Can someone give me a first hand opinion on the place?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
An Oxford fan telling us what Portsmouth fans think of the Amex...fair enough. :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has anyone visited the thread starters fantastic Oxford stadium? Is it better than the Amex, I think it might be :rolleyes:

Can someone give me a first hand opinion on the place?

I can do better than that. I can show you a PICTURE I took. Its ACE*

*sh1t

IMG00661-20121011-1257.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here