Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pompey

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Indeed, and we do have a rivalry of sorts with them, but ultimately we are too far apart geographically. Plus of course they are a noddy outfit. :thumbsup:

I always thought Bournemouth and Reading were a rivalry waiting to happen. Reading are ignored by Swindon and Oxford (and frankly are a bigger club than both these days anyway) and Bournemouth are considered a joke by nearby Southampton. Reading and Bournemouth did have a spat 25 years ago as I recall so I'm sure there's no love lost there anyway.
Thanks for the noddy, makes a change from tinpot ;)

Right about Reading, that was early 00’s mainly. When they were singing about never playing us again. Be careful about things biting you on the arse eh!

Gillingham too now and again. But only when we were battling with them in league 1. Quite a few Watford fans dislike us too, which is quite amusing.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Thanks for the noddy, makes a change from tinpot ;)

Right about Reading, that was early 00’s mainly. When they were singing about never playing us again. Be careful about things biting you on the arse eh!

Gillingham too now and again. But only when we were battling with them in league 1. Quite a few Watford fans dislike us too, which is quite amusing.
I can sympathise with your predicament as every club needs a rival, but Bournemouth fans are a bit like Fulham fans - just too friendly (or vanilla) for a real rivalry to spring up. You need to attract some real scumbags along to get the hatred going. Like Palace have done. Good luck with your search, but it will never be us.

Nicks

Was taken to my first ever game at Fratton Park by my Dad back in the days of John Milkins and Ray Hiron, and Ray Pointer etc and they played Wolves who had Derek Dougan up front.
I loved the whole experience of the crowd, but when my mate took me to The Goldstone in the North Stand at the age of 13 I was hooked on this club.

I was lucky to go with my Dad to see the great Leeds team of the 70's and Best and Charlton etc for Man Utd all at The Dell.

But strangely enough he never took me to The Goldstone, obviously knew once he took me there I wouldn't want to go there again with him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can sympathise with your predicament as every club needs a rival, but Bournemouth fans are a bit like Fulham fans - just too friendly (or vanilla) for a real rivalry to spring up. You need to attract some real scumbags along to get the hatred going. Like Palace have done. Good luck with your search, but it will never be us.
1712912798718.png

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Haha. Cheers.

Oh I don't want a rival, it's probably better not to have one tbh. London clubs always moan that it hinders them with all their derbies.

Oh well, Yeovil may get a billionaire backer and rise again, but Weymouth have claimed them. We'll always be derby-less....

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Always a little tentative posting on here as an AFCB fan - not much love for us (not that I expected much LOL)...

But rivalry wise - ideally if the Bmth area was geographically where Eastbourne or Newhaven is, that would have been a great rivalry with Brighton. Then Palace would have their natural rivalry with Charlton.

Instead we're stuck out on a limb with no rivals., which some might say is a good thing?

Agree BHA, Pompey, Stains & AFCB all in the PL would be interesting. I think Pompey fans have calmed a bit. Southsea is getting pretty middle class these days, know 2 or 3 families there, all support Pompey, all sound.
Natural rivalry with Charlton? There's no natural rivalry with those clowns. They are desperate to find rivals though, so maybe Bournemouth could step up.
If not rivals with Brighton, Palace would probably pick Millwall, even though they save their real hatred for West Ham

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Natural rivalry with Charlton? There's no natural rivalry with those clowns. They are desperate to find rivals though, so maybe Bournemouth could step up.
If not rivals with Brighton, Palace would probably pick Millwall, even though they save their real hatred for West Ham
Perhaps it's the other way round more then. I spoke to a Charlton fan who spent some time in Belmarsh for punching a Palace fan for no reason. Unfortunately for him a copper saw him and rugby tackled him...

Agreed I would thought Palace wouldn't bother with Millwall because of their West Ham obsession. Possibly the most hate filled derby in the UK.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Always a little tentative posting on here as an AFCB fan - not much love for us (not that I expected much LOL)...

But rivalry wise - ideally if the Bmth area was geographically where Eastbourne or Newhaven is, that would have been a great rivalry with Brighton. Then Palace would have their natural rivalry with Charlton.

Instead we're stuck out on a limb with no rivals., which some might say is a good thing?

Agree BHA, Pompey, Stains & AFCB all in the PL would be interesting. I think Pompey fans have calmed a bit. Southsea is getting pretty middle class these days, know 2 or 3 families there, all support Pompey, all sound.

Bmuff-Stains PL matches appeared very competitive to say the least. A growing rivalry. Have I read that wrong.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bmuff-Stains PL matches appeared very competitive to say the least. A growing rivalry. Have I read that wrong.
The truth is, nobody likes to lose a local game so there is always a bit extra in local games despite one side or the other declaring they don't care. Forest fans are always telling Leicester that they don't care, Southampton to Bournemouth, Sheff Weds to Rotherham/Barnsley and so on.

I suspect there is lot of bullshit spoken when fans of the self-declared "big brother" club say they don't care. Of course they do, to some extent. And it's weird, because there are some "secondary" rivalries that clearly do mean a lot to both sides, despite it being neither side's biggest game. I'm thinking of Villa v West Brom and Preston v Blackburn in particular.

Anyway, the Southampton-Portsmouth rivalry transcends football, so of course that game will always mean more than any other to fans of those teams. What's more, Southampton and Bournemouth don't even really have any sort of mutual football history to fall back on, so you can't really imagine it riles Southampton fans at all.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Its been rumbling along and surfaces now and again, mainly with the older lot. They are so bloody patronising tbh, lots of them call us 'Bompey'.

For me, with the new training ground etc, it's making sure they aren't poaching any local talent like they used to. Pushing them back to the SO border ;)

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
The truth is, nobody likes to lose a local game so there is always a bit extra in local games despite one side or the other declaring they don't care. Forest fans are always telling Leicester that they don't care, Southampton to Bournemouth, Sheff Weds to Rotherham/Barnsley and so on.

I suspect there is lot of bullshit spoken when fans of the self-declared "big brother" club say they don't care. Of course they do, to some extent. And it's weird, because there are some "secondary" rivalries that clearly do mean a lot to both sides, despite it being neither side's biggest game. I'm thinking of Villa v West Brom and Preston v Blackburn in particular.

Anyway, the Southampton-Portsmouth rivalry transcends football, so of course that game will always mean more than any other to fans of those teams. What's more, Southampton and Bournemouth don't even really have any sort of mutual football history to fall back on, so you can't really imagine it riles Southampton fans at all.
Agree. To me Saints are just another team to beat - we aren't rivals but they do care more than they let on. The Forest one is interesting, definitely a fair wedge hate Leicester more than Derby - one of four Forest fans I know do anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its been rumbling along and surfaces now and again, mainly with the older lot. They are so bloody patronising tbh, lots of them call us 'Bompey'.

For me, with the new training ground etc, it's making sure they aren't poaching any local talent like they used to. Pushing them back to the SO border ;)

For too long Stains had it easy in the south for gathering talented young players/kids.

Bmuff and Albion have broken their (kind of) monopoly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here