Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pompey Under 18s covering themselves in glory

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
One of them is Dan Cadman. Younger brother of Tom, who used to play for Brighton. Lives in Brighton. Disgusting.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Why has racism got so bad in this country recently?

There’s more ‘reporting’ of incidents, rather than a greater number of incidents I think.

Victims feel more empowered to call it out.

More bystanders recognise it is wrong and therefore call it out.

Social media makes it easy for the racists to air their racism in public. People before may have done so within their social ‘bubble’, amongst people who probably held similar views (or were at least desensitised to it / wouldn’t call it out). On social media, the more enlightened majority can see it and call it out.

I’m not for a second saying that racism isn’t a problem now, but I do think we are making progress over the decades. Looking at UK society in the 70s, through to now, I’d say that there is huge progress being made, albeit slowly. Sadly, there are a lot of entrenched opinions from back then*, which will only die out completely when that generation passes.

It surprises (and saddens) me that these youth team players have somehow got views that I would expect to be less common amongst their generation, so maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part that the biggest problem is with those brought up in different times.

*I’m not saying everyone back then was racist before anyone claims it

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I do wonder if players taking the knee is causing more harm than good now.

It probably is backlash from the BLM campaign but that surely shows how needed their taking of the knee is. We are now beginning to see through social media the reality of what minorities have had to endure for many years and society needs to continue to call it out as nobody should be subjected to it. I've heard many reports of England supporters engaging in criminal activity both pre and post match of the Euro finals and it's embarrassing that people have so little respect for other people that they act or even speak in such ways

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
social media puts it out in public.

Indeed. Prejudice whether of race, sex or religion has and will always exist. Over the years the accepted use of language has fortunately changed and we have all, in general terms become more enlightened. No matter though the minority will continue their twisted ways and views. Education may help but there comes a time where the main avenue open is to shut off the channels that they can spout their vile mindset.

We have to make the owners of these websites etc accountable for the content, if they can monitor copyright breach they can monitor the vile tripe. They need to show due diligence, failure to do so should be met with huge fines. The government need to legislate, it can be done quickly by means of a three day bill (think it still exists). The act of posting such stuff should be met with the weight of the law.

If the vehicle for such abuse is removed while their views may remain the opportunity for them to be seen or heard diminishes. We can then celebrate the diversity of this country and not just spend our time defending it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
More reported isn’t it

I imagine this was WhatsApp so probably similar to a lot of what many WhatsApp groups received . As you do often in poor taste after disasters and other subjects close to the line .

As a footballer pretty foolish as everything analysed

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
A journey of a thousand steps starts with one. We're quite a number of steps into this journey now, but there are plenty still to be walked. The coverage needs to continue as it is, attitudes need to continue to trend toward where they're getting to now and everyone has a responsibility to challenge negative behaviours.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A journey of a thousand steps starts with one. We're quite a number of steps into this journey now, but there are plenty still to be walked. The coverage needs to continue as it is, attitudes need to continue to trend toward where they're getting to now and everyone has a responsibility to challenge negative behaviours.

Here, here although in the interests of balance, I have to say that I've encountered quite a lot of antagonism, poor behaviour and agression from people within the ethnic minority group of late. It's not a one way issue as many people seem to believe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What backlash to kneeling causes a teenage footballer to call three black players missing their penalties the N word?
How do his black team mates feel knowing he’s even thought like that?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
What backlash to kneeling causes a teenage footballer to call three black players missing their penalties the N word?
How do his black team mates feel knowing he’s even thought like that?

I doubt that it matters what they feel - they won't be seeing him again (unless in court).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should be the end of their very short professional careers.

Depends how good they are. :whistle:

The shite ones will be working in Sports Direct.
Ones with value will complete their counseling and be forgiven.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Divisive indeed !

Very tricky one. I think the epl will try and quietly phase out earlier in the season.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

not at all tricky, they will leave it to the players to decide. hopefully the people who are offended by it will find something positive to do with their time

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I hope not, but it's no secret that it's become a very divisive thing.

I aawonder that by creating this division they have are inadvertently reinforcing or even inspiring racist views.

It's possible that ignorant people are adopting racist opinions that they previously wouldn't have because of it. Or perhaps taking the knee gives existing racists a soapbox, an opportunity to voice their racist views every time it is performed, which is virtually every football match.

No disrespect to football fans, but many are very, very thick. Taking the knee has introduced the racist debate to football, with an opportunity for it to be discussed at every game, often by idiots who are bored and annoyed by it.

It all seems a bit coincidental that racism in football has got so bad recently. It does seem to specifically be within football too.

I think that’s very open and honest of you but you shouldn’t generalise or discrimate against others because of your own inadequacies.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Depends how good they are. :whistle:

The shite ones will be working in Sports Direct.
Ones with value will complete their counseling and be forgiven.

"They're just kids!" ... "They didn't mean it, they were just trying to fit in with the bad influences that have now been rooted out (because they weren't good enough)"

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I wonder that by creating this division they have are inadvertently reinforcing or even inspiring racist views.

It's possible that ignorant people are adopting racist opinions that they previously wouldn't have because of it. Or perhaps taking the knee gives existing racists a soapbox, an opportunity to voice their racist views every time it is performed, which is virtually every football match.

No disrespect to football fans, but many are very, very thick. Taking the knee has introduced the racist debate to football, with an opportunity for it to be discussed at every game, often by idiots who are bored and annoyed by it.

It all seems a bit coincidental that racism in football has got so bad recently. It does seem to specifically be within football too.

If a spectator is offended by the sight of someone kneeling down in front of them, then they surely have a very low threshold for taking offence! And if they aren't similarly offended by many other very minor gestures (eg: a soldier saluting, a priest making the sign of the cross, etc) then you have to wonder why. I don't think for one moment that taking the knee has suddenly "inspired" racist views - those that take offence to the taking of the knee already have some deep-seated racist views.

And the rise in racism in recent years is definitely NOT just limited to football. And it's not just in the UK. Unfortunately the rise of the right - be that in the US (under Trump), the UK (post-Brexit), Germany (the advance of AFD), Poland, Hungary (far right governments) - has encouraged racism and division.

Maybe the past couple of days is the start of the fight back!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
One of them is Dan Cadman. Younger brother of Tom, who used to play for Brighton. Lives in Brighton. Disgusting.

I was really hoping he wasn’t involved with this, very sad as my youngest son played in a team with him and they got on well, his parents must be really upset as they are very nice people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I wonder that by creating this division they have are inadvertently reinforcing or even inspiring racist views.

How did you ever come to that conclusion??? Seems like your tarring an awful lot of people based on an idiotic minority.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Here, here although in the interests of balance, I have to say that I've encountered quite a lot of antagonism, poor behaviour and agression from people within the ethnic minority group of late. It's not a one way issue as many people seem to believe.

Neither side is without blame, but it's a cycle which needs to be addressed by everyone. And I think it largely is being addressed. I like that these incidents are made public, it's all about education. I'm sure there are boys in the group who didn't agree with what was being said but went along with the joke. I don't believe them to be inherently racist because in the context of their group it was "a laugh" or the running joke. And there does need to be some expectation that private groups stay private, but there also needs to be a move away from that kind of culture in my opinion. These boys shouldn't be tarred and feathered, but they absolutely should understand the weight of their words and really consider whether they're proud to have their name to some of the comments or whether they think better of it now.

I'm not shy in admitting I had some terrible attitudes in my younger years. I shudder to think of some of the jokes I've told and conversations I've been involved with and I'm genuinely glad that that attitude was challenged by the general public consciousness and when I stopped to think - I realised how wrong I had been and how stupid I was being. I remember Graham Taylor telling off some racists at an England game and it really resonated with me. You need someone to challenge your opinions and beliefs to really think about unconscious behaviours.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Ever experienced antagonism, poor behaviour and aggression from people within the ethnic majority? Did you ever think they were letting their "race" down if you have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here