Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have always had mixed feelings about DB. On the one hand he can be very funny and down to earth but equally he can be a smug know it all. Also he doesn’t like BHA and has been rather vocal on that at times.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't consider myself to be a snowflake, so maybe someone can correct me. But my first reaction when I scrolled down to see the monkey picture was "ohhh, god".

Having listened to DB over a number of years on radio and pods, I'm absolutely certain he didn't intend this as being a racist jibe. But man alive (as he would say), given the fact that its a mixed race baby, the first in the history of the royal family, to then post a pic today of some people leading out a monkey...

I'll put it down to misjudgement. But bloody hell Danny.

Yeah, agreed. I don't think Danny Baker has become a card-carrying member of the KKK, but using a picture of a monkey to represent a baby with African heritage is, um, not a particularly bright (or nice) thing to do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sadly, this little blunder by Danny Baker is now a snapshot of the unforgiving, self righteous society's hunt for the latest bogeyman.

Reminds me of the time some NSCers were seemingly calling for the public execution of a regretful teenager for his coarse tweet about AK and his dad. Luckily, he wasn't at an age where such a demise was historically permissible. ...

I honestly feel bewildered by it all. How social media breeds packs of ordinary folk into salivating and hungry, culturally pious, moral thought police. The punishment for everything is death by moral outrage. And judgement is before trial.

We don't want to be rational, we don't want to consider, we don't want mercy, we want to cover the multitude of our own sins with sticky, sanctimonious, outrage.

Sorry some, Danny Baker is not a racist. No hanging at Auntie Beeb today.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Sadly, this little blunder by Danny Baker is now a snapshot of the unforgiving, self righteous society's hunt for the latest bogeyman.

Reminds me of the time some NSCers were seemingly calling for the public execution of a regretful teenager for his coarse tweet about AK and his dad. Luckily, he wasn't at an age where such a demise was historically permissible. ...

I honestly feel bewildered by it all. How social media breeds packs of ordinary folk into salivating and hungry, culturally pious, moral thought police. The punishment for everything is death by moral outrage. And judgement is before trial.

We don't want to be rational, we don't want to consider, we don't want mercy, we want to cover the multitude of our own sins with sticky, sanctimonious, outrage.

Absolutely, totally this. I can't stand it - let's reserve our condemnation for real racism with intent which is abominable rather than a misinterpreted gag. Baker's final apology around the time of the final whistle last night was sincere and should be the end of it but he has just tweeted that he has opened the door to the Daily Mail asking "Do you think black people look like monkeys?". What the hell is wrong with us - how on earth did this happen?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Misjudged rather than racist IMHO. He's had the decency to delete it and apologise, case closed for my money.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Unfortunately for DB it will be many people's first experience of him. They will see a middle aged white football fan making a "racist" tweet.

Nothing to see here, misjudged post. Forgivable.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It was a bit daft.

Fired by who? BBC, from his 5 Live show on Saturday mornings?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
DB.JPG

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Generally like the bloke... but this was spectacularly stupid and completely inexcusable. Anyone sober even to tweet who spent more than a nano-second thinking about it would see the very offensive connotations.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
What a pillock.

Of course he wasn't being racist, but whilst I'm normally completely against the pitchfork mob demanding people be fired, if you're in the public eye and you don't know what reaction you're going to get to posting something like that, then you're a fool.

Fortunately for him he'll get a job somewhere else so won't suffer too much, but what a daft thing to do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I stand corrected. He has been despatched. Sorry no-one got there in time with their knitting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here