Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I personally don't think he's a racist,but as he has been sacked for racism,where does he stand with the Labour Party?Will he be sacked from the membership?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How about a ‘ Don’t know ‘ option?

I like DB, I’ve seen both his tour shows, and read all his books, I would like to say there’s no chance he’s a closet racist, but, if it was someone I dislike, Piers Morgan, for instance, I would be happy to see him sacked for the same ‘offence’.

It makes me a hypocrite, but, I really can’t decide if he knew, and is racist, or if he didn’t, and has been harshly treated.

He has been sacked several times and every time unfairly. Sadly this time I doubt we'll see him back.

If Piers Morgan had had a history of using the same chimp thing at the drop of a hat with no connotations*, I'd support him too. I think I have seen this type of conversation on NSC many times - 'would you believe the worst of someone just because you don't like them?'. I'd hope to say I'd not, but it is awfully tempting. In that context, stand by for the DB haters to post their condemnation.

*Tempted to add "and a history of not being a relentless twerp" but that would simply have me fall into the trap outlined above

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It really made me laugh when he first tweeted it. Didn't even cross my mind that he was being racist. It's a monkey in a suit with a walking stick - it's funny.

Now apparently because I laughed, according to the furious masses, I am part of the problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I voted yes. The man is a prat and counts Chris Evans as a mate......................say no more !
Having said that, he's only tweeted what a lot of us were thinking ?

Wow. So you think he should be sacked because you dislike him, AND confess to being racist yourself? ???

What a prat, yourself.:shrug:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I actually met someone today, who didn’t even know that there had been a royal birth this week!!

He’s an OAP, who lives on his own, and only watches the sport channels on the telly.
He’s a customer, who came in for his lunch today, saw the front page of the paper, and asked my missus, which royal had, had a baby.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
::
At worse its racist at best it is gross incompetence. Both are sackable offenses for a national broadcaster. Both are inexcusable and indefensible.

yawn He doesn’t wear a tie whilst working at the BBC either. I don’t pay my licence fee to hear about people not wearing a tie you know.

Actually I don’t pay my licence fee at all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was listening to a radio program the other day and a panellist put forward the argument that political correctness, changing the words and terms that are acceptable is just a way of adjusting code for racists and that an overly PC climate is actually a fertile ground for the right wing as it stirs up anti-left sentiment.

I think there’s something in that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I voted yes. The man is a prat and counts Chris Evans as a mate......................say no more !
Having said that, he's only tweeted what a lot of us were thinking ?
Incoming

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I actually met someone today, who didn’t even know that there had been a royal birth this week!!

He’s an OAP, who lives on his own, and only watches the sport channels on the telly.
He’s a customer, who came in for his lunch today, saw the front page of the paper, and asked my missus, which royal had, had a baby.

It was the Chimps parents....

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Just heard a hatchet job on PM, with Evan Davies and his guest shaking their heads and wringing their hands, dismissing anything Baker had to say in explanation or mitigation. The BBC's obsession with balance seems to go straight out of the window when they feel the need to cover their own backs, as there was nobody to give the other side, ask for nuance or pause, talk about the phenomena of social media outrage refusing apology or retraction once it smells blood.

It has been decided that Danny Baker intended to be racist. The mob has spoken and the BBC didn't make any money out of him like they did out of Clarkson or do out of Sugar. He has also offended the Royal family who have no truck with racism.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33578174
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...l-throw-spears-at-each-other-asks-Prince.html
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/the-sun-shows-prince-harry-wearing-nazi-uniform/9752022
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...strong-diarist-racist-too-awful-a7774011.html
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/cu...eer-racist-allegations-princess-michael-kent/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...man-from-manchester-anita-sethi-a8315187.html

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Well he’s a gobby too clever by half presenter who has come undone in a rush to make a juvenile dig at the Royals. I’m sure he see the funny side after a few days as that’s his humour.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I listened to the Baker and Lineker podcast the other day. It was due to be recorded at Lineker's house, but Danny had turned up an hour or so early, so decided to go to the pub. By his own admission, by the time he got to the house he'd "had a few".

Many times on Twitter, he's spoken about enjoying a nice bottle of wine that evening. I don't whether that turns into two or more, but I've noticed his tweets getting a lot more ranty, and a lot less thought through as the evening wears on.

Perhaps it's only when you lose the thing you love most - your partner, your relationship with your children, or perhaps a broadcasting career - that you finally admit you might have a problem.

If that's the case, I hope he gets the help and support he needs.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The sheer number of people trying to psychoanalyse a bloke who tweets stupid pictures when drunk all the time both amuses and saddens me at the same time. Every time Suarez scores a goal, he tweets a picture of Bernie Winters. Other times he tweets a picture of Dustin Hoffman jumping when a team score. That is his thing - he often fires off tweets for the sake of it and often to continue his trope.

This was an accident waiting to happen with his ego and liking for pushing the envelope. The scatter gun tweeting has eventually resulted in this. Was it right he was sacked? Maybe. Is he a racist? No idea but seems unlikely. Was that tweet intended to be racist? Absolutely not. Whilst I get what he was trying to say when he retracted it last night, he really didn't help himself.

Talking of not helping himself, by summarily dismissing him without investigation on the same day as having the odious toad on QT for the 33rd time opens the BBC up to claims of hypocrisy. Along with Alan Sugar still having a series after a similar event last year.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I listened to the Baker and Lineker podcast the other day. It was due to be recorded at Lineker's house, but Danny had turned up an hour or so early, so decided to go to the pub. By his own admission, by the time he got to the house he'd "had a few".

Many times on Twitter, he's spoken about enjoying a nice bottle of wine that evening. I don't whether that turns into two or more, but I've noticed his tweets getting a lot more ranty, and a lot less thought through as the evening wears on.

Perhaps it's only when you lose the thing you love most - your partner, your relationship with your children, or perhaps a broadcasting career - that you finally admit you might have a problem.

If that's the case, I hope he gets the help and support he needs.
Saturday night we have some German lads coming over for the footie. As the evening progresses the joking will become more and more obscure and funny (so we will think).... none of us will be seeking help on the Monday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My question would still be why post a gag that only racists would find funny? Because they would have done. The pc brigade taking offence isn't really the problem.

Because as with most media types and twitter addicts, they believe they are broadcasting to their fans and people who know them and get where they are coming from.

Because I like him and listen to his show occassionally, I got it.

A little jibe at the preposterousness of the way the royal baby leaving a hospital is often reported, juxtaposed with an old time ridiculous photo of a chimp in posh clothes.

I didn't think for a second it was a comment on ethnicity.
However if Jim davidson had tweeted it, I probably would have thought it was.

From what I hear, Baker has accepted that because other people have mistaken it for a racist comment, he has to go.
So everyone is happy, apart from the people who were lined up for the sausage sandwich game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here