Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] POLL TIME - Danny Baker’s tweet

Was Danny Baker’s Royal Baby tweet KNOWINGLY racist?

• YES - You stupid prat, of course it was. He knew what he was inferring.

Votes: 97 29.7%
  • NO - You utter melt, the intent wasn’t racism.

Votes: 230 70.3%

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming round to the thought that it hadn't even occurred to DB that Meghan (and so of course her child) are of mixed race. Its not entirely inconceivable that he was completely unaware of the “race issue” surrounding her. Maybe he doesn’t follow the news particularly closely when it comes to the royals, I know I don't.

Like I say, I was completely unaware that Meghan's mother was african-american until I actually saw her on the news at the wedding. Then of course the media make a big thing about her being the first person of mixed race to be a part of the royal family (as if thats supposedly some kind of big deal). That could all have passed Baker by, hence why he thought it was a completely innocuous tweet - until its brought to his attention that her mum is black. By then though, the damage is already done, its out there.

I feel sorry for the bloke, he must be thumping his head on the wall as we type. I hope he’s not considered damaged goods now in a Ron Atkinson kind of way. It would be very sad and IMO entirely unjust if this actually ended his career as a broadcaster.

What a load of bullshit.

If he wants to plead stupid ignorance you should let him give his mitigating circumstances excuses not provide a fanciful list for him. You've clearly thought far too much

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
That'll be Rap or Hiphop then.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/02/frenzo-harami-banned-bbc-radio-1-due-prostitution-ring-l

Frenzo Harami track dropped from BBC Radio 1 due to prostitution ring lyrics

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/02/fren...radio-1-due-prostitution-ring-lyrics-9388205/

A song by grime star Frenzo Harami will no longer be played by the BBC after it was found to ‘not meet editorial standards’. The track, Chaabian Boyz, was played on late night Radio 1 and Asian Network shows hosted by Kan D Man and Bobby Friction – who described the song as ‘proper grimy’. While the song was edited to remove swearing, the rest of the lyrics apparently went unchecked – with Frenzo rapping about selling drugs and prostitution.
On Chaabian Boyz, Frenzo appears to rap about a prostitution ring, saying: ‘I had a white girl I used to call a cash machine, I got 20 white girls and they will trap for me, they’re on in the flats laying on their backs for P [money].’ Another lyrics hears Frenzo saying: ‘She just f***ed 100 man, she’s like who’s next.’

He also uses racial slurs throughout, saying: ‘Had them white birds on the side curbs/ Looking for a dirty p**i or a white nerd.’

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ive met him at a mutual friends party though not enough to comment on his personality and i also know somebody who heard him shout 'run fashanu you lazy ba*stard, prerend you've just nicked a purse' id suggest that unless you're a close friend of his ,you know the sanitised , media friendly , danny baker.

Fair point, I have met him but both times he was in what he would have considered to be "public"

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Which is fair enough... You didn't choose to tweet about it to [insert number here] followers.
If you are ignorant on a subject you (should) keep quiet about it rather than leap in with both feet in your mouth with something deliberately provocative...

Which is was! Maybe not in the way the media/public are seeing it but it was deliberately intended as either a republican/royalist or upper/working class insult. I suspect, given his comments on other things, it was the latter, but it is still, even without the racism, is a statement inferring that the upper classes are no more than smartly dressed monkeys.

Which ever way you cut this, he intended to insult someone for his own self promotion and it back fired.

Woah so now you are saying he can't insult someone at all whether it's racist or not? So he should lose his job if he has a dig at Donald Trump say?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of bullshit.

If he wants to plead stupid ignorance you should let him give his mitigating circumstances excuses not provide a fanciful list for him. You've clearly thought far too much

What "list" ?

Its not bullshit at all. I pay little attention to the royals, and wasn't previously aware that Meghan was considered mixed race (prior to the wedding). I just thought she's a right fitty. If Baker didn't realise that she was of black parentage either then he'd have thought his tweet was harmless. I find that easier to swallow than the notion that DB is a closet racist, and decided to publically reveal that fact to the world on social media last night.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Do you then?

Not really, have met (as in talked with him) twice and both times seemed a nice guy, loves his footie and hates Palace, seemed enough for me! Seriously though it's a good point, I don't think I can say I know him well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nope, Radio 2 play Oliver’s army, ( One more Widow, one less white ******), and All the way from Memphis, ( Some spade said” You rock and rollers, you’re all the same”.

'white ******' in the context of that song, basically means 'white trash' or simply 'expendable prole' doesn't it?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Woah so now you are saying he can't insult someone at all whether it's racist or not? So he should lose his job if he has a dig at Donald Trump say?

No... I'm just saying if he chooses to insult people he has to live with the consequences of that action. If that means he cannot hold a role at a publicly owned broadcaster, then so be it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nope, Radio 2 play Oliver’s army, ( One more Widow, one less white ******), and All the way from Memphis, ( Some spade said” You rock and rollers, you’re all the same”.

Oh I didn't realise you were talking about songs from the last 35 years Lauro

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He’s been sacked and walked numerous times from the BBC. He’ll be back soon enough .

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No... I'm just saying if he chooses to insult people he has to live with the consequences of that action. If that means he cannot hold a role at a publicly owned broadcaster, then so be it.

But loads of BBC employees insult people on their Twitter all the time - Gary Linekar springs to mind. There should be no consequences for sending a tweet meant to imply the royal are posh. Of course some things such as racism or homophobia are abhorrent and the consequences for those should be obvious. But it's a mad world where you lose your job because of how others interpreted what you said rather than what you intended. Especially once you realise how it might have been construed you delete it and apologise.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

So, you can't insult (let's be crazy and call it a 'joke) anyone about anything because some people might misunderstand the original insult and think you are doing a different much worse kind of insult......even if you weren't at all.....and at that point losing your job is fine as it's a consequence of other peoples misjudgement.

Makes sense.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But loads of BBC employees insult people on their Twitter all the time - Gary Linekar springs to mind. There should be no consequences for sending a tweet meant to imply the royal are posh. Of course some things such as racism or homophobia are abhorrent and the consequences for those should be obvious. But it's a mad world where you lose your job because of how others interpreted what you said rather than what you intended. Especially once you realise how it might have been construed you delete it and apologise.

Baker I keep being told is a clever ****....you’ll never know for sure what he truly meant and obviously he’ll never publicly state anything other than his innocence, btw any news on the examples of where he’s used that photo for other Royal Births?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He came across as a bit of a tit in the door stepping video. I’d have just kept my door shut.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming round to the thought that it hadn't even occurred to DB that Meghan (and so of course her child) are of mixed race. Its not entirely inconceivable that he was completely unaware of the “race issue” surrounding her. Maybe he doesn’t follow the news particularly closely when it comes to the royals, I know I don't.

No. I'm an ardent, staunch Republican who pays zero attention to the Royals and the Royal Family and even I knew Megan was mixed heritage. The idea that Baker (who works in the media) simply didn't know is verging on preposterous.

EDIT: And even you admit that you at least knew by the time they married - and I bet you don't work for a media organisation where having even a passing interest in current affairs is expected.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
you’ll never know for sure what he truly meant

I'd LOVE to know what that scenario would be.

"Ah, what a LOVELY morning. Haven't I done well in life. Do you know what, I REALLY fancy posting that racist picture today. I've got a right CORKER up my sleeve. That would be funny. What's the worst that could happen? I'm sure no-one would mind. I certainly wouldn't get in trouble for it as social media is a kind place and the BBC won't mind.".

If you work for the BBC and post something you KNOW is going to be seen as racist....you also KNOW you are going to be sacked.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

"Ah, what a LOVELY morning. Haven't I done well in life. Do you know what, I REALLY fancy posting that racist picture today. I've got a right CORKER up my sleeve. That would be funny. What's the worst that could happen? I'm sure no-one would mind. I certainly wouldn't get in trouble for it as social media is a kind place and the BBC won't mind.".

If you work for the BBC and post something you KNOW is going to be seen as racist....you also KNOW you are going to be sacked.

Maybe he isn’t as clever as I was first lead to believe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Maybe he isn’t as clever as I was first lead to believe.

He does enjoy a DRINK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here