Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Political Correctness Gone Mad"

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nah, you won't agree and you're only asking me to pick a binfest, plenty of others pointed out, quite correctly that your post doesn't represent PCGM, ask one of them.

Jesus wept. You're like a child. So much for this grown-up debate you've been bemoaning. I've not been confrontational at all in asking you to explain yourself. And I've quite calmly explained why I think it is political correctness gone mad. That's how grown-up debate works.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Nah, you won't agree and you're only asking me to pick a binfest, plenty of others pointed out, quite correctly that your post doesn't represent PCGM, ask one of them.

It's probably a blessing that you don't know how cretinous you come across, very regularly.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Jesus wept. You're like a child. So much for this grown-up debate you've been bemoaning. I've not been confrontational at all in asking you to explain yourself. And I've quite calmly explained why I think it is political correctness gone mad. That's how grown-up debate works.

I don't know where you got this attitude that you are somehow responsible for checking the attitude of other posters on here, I imagine it's the innate pomposity you seem do display. On the whole, you seem to be a fairly intelligent poster but every once in a while you seem to select a poster and spend the day policing/goading them. I guess it's my turn today. Lucky me. That's childish.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's probably a blessing that you don't know how cretinous you come across, very regularly.

Ha, here we go. Not today my good little fisherman. I know a binfest approaching when I see it, I don't have the patience for kids like you today. Have a nice afternoon.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't know where you got this attitude that you are somehow responsible for checking the attitude of other posters on here, I imagine it's the innate pomposity you seem do display. On the whole, you seem to be a fairly intelligent poster but every once in a while you seem to select a poster and spend the day policing/goading them. I guess it's my turn today. Lucky me. That's childish.

Checking other people's posts! It's an internet forum isn't it? People post things and other people agree or disagree. If you are trying to say that I'm picking on you, you replied to me. Go and look. It's all there. And how in God's name is "okay, can you humour me and tell me why it isn't?" goading you?

You're not all there.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Christopher Brookmyre is a fantastic author, very funny and I would recommend his books to anyone. He’s reinvented himself (sort of) as a more serious crime writer (Chris Brookmyre) and his books are still very good.

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/books/

Anyway, back to PCGM.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
With all the stories that get brought up, flag not allowed to fly as it offends Muslims, ham withdrawn from Subways incase it offends muslims etc have any actually turned out to be true or the whole story?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Checking other people's posts! It's an internet forum isn't it? People post things and other people agree or disagree. If you are trying to say that I'm picking on you, you replied to me. Go and look. It's all there. And how in God's name is "okay, can you humour me and tell me why it isn't?" goading you?

You're not all there.

No I don't think you're "picking" on me.

All the Stewart Lee fans in today and Buzzer off his meds again - great stuff

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
These days, you get arrested and thrown in jail if you say you're English, don't you?

What, they actually? You can actually get arrested? And thrown in jail? Actually arrested?

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Unless they mean things like, 'Oooh I can't wait to watch Swap Shop on Saturday then go down the newsagents to buy a 10p mix'. I guess I can't say that anymore.[/QUOTE]

you can say it. You just can't do it.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Anyone read any Christopher Brookmyre? Great author.

In one of his novels, he describes the phrase "Political correctness gone mad" as "the distress call of the thwarted bigot".

"It was a phrase that certain conservative elements had thought up because they needed a stick to beat back at the liberals with. It was a phrase coined by people who resented the fact that you couldn’t treat n******, yids, shirt-lifters, bints and cripples the way you used to, who wanted to believe that it was all part of some organised agenda (and therefore reversible), rather than a natural, gradual, evolved process of increased understanding and therefore tolerance, which was leaving them all behind."

He's right. Isn't he?

Slightly off topic, the best comedy I have seen discussing political correctness was the two coppers in the series Early Doors, Phil and Nige, bemoaning the fact "you cant laugh at dwarves anymore" :smile:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Here's the stewart lee thing for anyone who wonders what people are talking about.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Anyone read any Christopher Brookmyre? Great author.

In one of his novels, he describes the phrase "Political correctness gone mad" as "the distress call of the thwarted bigot".

"It was a phrase that certain conservative elements had thought up because they needed a stick to beat back at the liberals with. It was a phrase coined by people who resented the fact that you couldn’t treat n******, yids, shirt-lifters, bints and cripples the way you used to, who wanted to believe that it was all part of some organised agenda (and therefore reversible), rather than a natural, gradual, evolved process of increased understanding and therefore tolerance, which was leaving them all behind."

He's right. Isn't he?

Cleverly put,but I don't think he is right.
P.C.G.M. now covers so many situations and procedures in everyday life,that many perfectly reasonable people and organisations who have no desire to beat liberals with sticks,can be frustrated by what many call P.C.G.M.
It certainly doesn't mean they are bigots.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Okay, can you humour me and tell me why it isn't?

As far as I can see it she's taking a quite worthy argument -that historically, white people oppressed black people and she's acknowledging that fact - that's political correctness in my eyes and I agree with her on this point. I've got no problem with that sort of political correctness at all. It's a good thing - as the OP has said. It shows society is developing. The language we now use to describe different people is borne from this. We don't refer to black people using the 'n****r' word any more because we can see that it was oppressive. That we were the oppressors. We've acknowledged that. It's all linked.

And then she goes completely mental and starts spouting all sorts of tripe. In other words, political correctness gone mad.
For me, it's not political correctness because she is expressing a personal opinion rather than desiring a change in how society as a whole refers to or behaves towards a certain section of that society. As I see it, the very core of political correctness in the eyes of those who like to invoke it is that is something that is foisted on others rather than a personal opinion expressed on an individual level. I could be wrong though (and yes, I do think it's a somewhat ridiculous statement that was made).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here