Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Political Compass

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Just done it again...I've been consistently in the same kind of place for years:

compass.png

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd not one of these for ages; it seems I have mellowed leftwards over the past few years on the political compass. I am apparently a Civic Pragmatist these days, and while I don't watch channel five it's true I am very uninterested in political name-calling and grandstanding.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 17.07.53.png
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 17.08.04.png

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Likewise - I'd say I was right of centre but I'm not sure the questions really are the correct ones to measure someone's political compass.

View attachment 167413
Perhaps more of the UK's wider "progressive" mentality showing in your results. It's actually quite left-wing on paper to feel the government shouldn't get involved in consenting adults private lives for example, but it is also quite left-leaning to feel that laissez-faire markets contribute to poor treatment of workers.

Whilst I'll happily take a beating pole to the current party in power, over my lifetime the Conservatives have been far more left leaning socially than you'd find in a lot of other countries (Hi America!). There is no way you'd have the republicans pass same-sex marriage under their watch for example. Similarly the majority of those who would identify themselves as "centre-right" would've looked on at Truss-enomics in horror. Our parties don't always reflect the political scale so exactly.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Even those who had thought they leant to the right have discovered they are in fact radical leftwingers.

NSC seems to be a hotbed of anarchism; the place where the political status quo has been defenestrated through the Overton Window. And I'm here for it.
A hotbed for anarchism you say, you wait till we lose the next three games and your so called hot bed for anarchism will evolve into a hotbed of warm piss with 90 percent all of sudden not giving two shits about the political compass 😂😂😂😉

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
A hotbed for anarchism you say, you wait till we lose the next three games and your so called hot bed for anarchism will evolve into a hotbed of warm piss with 90 percent all of sudden not giving two shits about the political compass 😂😂😂😉

Well, the politics are a sideshow for most of us, I can only think of a couple of people who only post on political threads, and their agenda is obvious.

It’s the Albion first, and global politics (whatever our beliefs) a distant second.

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
Those surprised by their position on the political compass may like to have a go at this for a second opinion: https://www.britainschoice.uk/the-quiz/

It tells me I'm a "Progressive Activist": city-dwelling, Guardian-reading, and highly-educated. More commonly known as the tofu-eating wokerati.

NB. As with the compass, it's just a bit of fun and the results are not binding.

View attachment 167417

Snap. I’m apparently a progressive activist too, despite being a fair bit further to the centre (in theory) than you.

Oh no.

Tell me, where do you get your berets?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Even those who had thought they leant to the right have discovered they are in fact radical leftwingers.

NSC seems to be a hotbed of anarchism; the place where the political status quo has been defenestrated through the Overton Window. And I'm here for it.
Just taken the ‘test’ for about the third time in ten years. As expected, slightly libertarian, and as always (surprisingly for some) slightly left of centre.

Will have a go at the other one now.

Which has categorised me as an ‘Established Liberal’, which in my mind is about spot on.

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
My main takeaway from this is the old labels of left and tight are redundant and pretty meaningless. Perhaps if we all recognised this and stopped spending most of the time engaged in political name calling just because we dont agree on a specific issue, we might achieve worthwhile change and find common ground to the benefit of all

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My main takeaway from this is the old labels of left and tight are redundant and pretty meaningless. Perhaps if we all recognised this and stopped spending most of the time engaged in political name calling just because we dont agree on a specific issue, we might achieve worthwhile change and find common ground to the benefit of all
Totally disagree about left and right labels being meaningless.
my political compass has not changed significantly in 50 years plus - if anything I’m slightly further left.
and part of what has pushed me further left is the ridiculous posturing of the Conservative extremes. Many of the economic questions seemed to be about “is profit more important than people“. I am sure I have very different ideas on that than Rees-Mogg.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just taken the ‘test’ for about the third time in ten years. As expected, slightly libertarian, and as always (surprisingly for some) slightly left of centre.

Will have a go at the other one now.

Which has categorised me as an ‘Established Liberal’, which in my mind is about spot on.
For the record, I mostly agree with all of your posts.

(Even though I put you on ignore once :lolol: )

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
Mine are knitted from recycled hemp by a local non-profit cooperative. You can get them on Amazon too though.

Mine will be 100% polyester from H&M’s “Conscious” range. Baby steps, baby steps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here