Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Policing in the Eighties - anyone remember it?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have a Rupert Bear lapel badge. Never tested.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
I still have a clip on tie :D

I don't wear it daily as the standard kit now is the black zip up shirt, but if I'm in court, the clip-on tie comes out (it's more of an anti-strangulation measure than because we're too thick to do a tie up).

I've heard stories of coppers back in the 1980s who would compete to see how far they could get away from their designated patch in a single shift. There is an infamous tale where I work of a couple of beat officers who returned to the nick one day with a photograph of themselves and the job car in front of the Eiffel Tower.

No idea if it's true or not, but I love the idea that it might be :D

Worked at Gatwick in the mid 80's and managed to blag a return flight to Glasgow on B'Cal during an 8 hr shift!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Worked at Gatwick in the mid 80's and managed to blag a return flight to Glasgow on B'Cal during an 8 hr shift!

My near-retirement crewmate says he managed Stonehenge once, many years ago.

With GPS tracking, however, such stunts are way out of range now :lol: I could get asked questions if I'm found to be in Ditchling...

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
I've heard stories of coppers back in the 1980s who would compete to see how far they could get away from their designated patch in a single shift. There is an infamous tale where I work of a couple of beat officers who returned to the nick one day with a photograph of themselves and the job car in front of the Eiffel Tower.

No idea if it's true or not, but I love the idea that it might be :D

I could definitely verify a story of two paired-up officers who, on consecutive night-shifts, competed to see which pair could get from West London to Brighton pier and back in the quickest time!!

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
I still have a clip on tie :D

I don't wear it daily as the standard kit now is the black zip up shirt, but if I'm in court, the clip-on tie comes out (it's more of an anti-strangulation measure than because we're too thick to do a tie up).D

Have you ever heard before any of the tales I mentioned?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have you ever heard before any of the tales I mentioned?

No. But I signed up in 2004.

I do remember doing my training back then, and the (former Chief Superintendent) trainer used to go round the class before lessons with a ruler, checking the guys' sideburns, and whether they'd shaved properly and clipped a straight & neat line around their hair :)

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Didn't a lot of them get into trouble in the 80s around Lancing or Worthing for spending their night shifts "hunting" for each other with water pistols? Or did I imagine it?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
My near-retirement crewmate says he managed Stonehenge once, many years ago.

With GPS tracking, however, such stunts are way out of range now :lol: I could get asked questions if I'm found to be in Ditchling...

Not always in my job. Should the battery 'fall out' of a PDA for a period of time and you are 'unaware', those that may wish to know your whereabouts are unable. *ahem* :whistle:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I turn round to see a copper asking me something, so naturally I put my hand in my pocket to turn my walkman off. Out comes truncheon followed by "What are you doing?". I hold out my walkman and say "turning this off so I can hear you". Guess it was my lucky day he put the truncheon back into its holder.

In the US, even money you'd be dead. Thank god the lion's share of your policemen are not routinely armed.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
remember in the riots in the 80s they got stuck in rather than stand back or harass the concerned residents of eltham in the name of 'community relations'

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Woe betide any young sprog who left their pocket note book unattended on the briefing room table!! Punishable by bringing nice warn fresh doughnuts in for early turn.

Also punishable by having an enormous cock & balls drawn on the first clean page, I would strongly suspect.

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
Also punishable by having an enormous cock & balls drawn on the first clean page, I would strongly suspect.

Always amusing to see a nervous young copper in court for the first time fumbling with his paperwork and amidst the sheets discovering something that shouldn't be there. Priceless facial expressions.

paul & shark

Sep 17, 2013
when they swept child abuses cases under the carpet
when they took money from the tabloids for info
when they beat bods black and blue for protesting

not much has changed eh

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Always amusing to see a nervous young copper in court for the first time fumbling with his paperwork and amidst the sheets discovering something that shouldn't be there. Priceless facial expressions.

I've seen many defaced PNBs in my time (not mine yet, thankfully).

That's probably jinxed it now...

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
I've seen many defaced PNBs in my time (not mine yet, thankfully).

That's probably jinxed it now...

To finish this off in numerous fashion before it gets too serious, here's the two most comical incidents I saw, as in the original list.

A constable who had been in the area for a couple of weeks out on foot patrol and finding himself completely lost and in his own words, "going round in circles". In despair and without the aid of mobiles/SatNav of course, he had to resort to going into a telephone box and making a shame-faced call in to seek directions for a return to the nick. Having explained his location, he was told, "if you look to your left, can you see a building with a bread sign on the top, just to the left of that there should be a singe-storey building next to an office block. Look up to the third floor and you'll see a window with half your shift colleagues waving at you..." :cute:

A keen but nervous group of four probationer constables on attachment to the nick being sent to the magistrates court to observe proceedings and being sat at the side of the court for a whole morning session and told not leave. At the end of the morning, the chairman of the bench went over to address them and give them some pearls of wisdom. He went on, and on and on... totally unaware that one of the lads had been frantically trying to contain his bursting bladder for the previous half an hour. I'm not sure that at first, he even noticed the puddle silently forming round the constable's shoes and socks!! :blush:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Common sense law enforcement

Respect from the public and even the criminals

Decent approachable policemen (with some horrible ones obviously)

Actually trying to catch real criminals rather than achieve targets.

Ah, the good old days

I had a clip round the ear from a copper and have been charged and convicted and deserved both, got treated with respect when I showed some in return and grew up and out of it as a result, now they act like an occupying force regrettably...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here