Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poland both our boys starting.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Poland are on a good run - the way they're playing, particularly in the final third, is really developing.

The atmosphere in the ground tonight was very positive and a lot of that's to do with how the future looks because of the way the young players have performed over the last few matches.

I think Jerzy thought Bosnia would be a challenge tonight and it looked like they would be until the sending off. But Poland can potentially break down/outgun decent teams now.

It would be good to see them back. A couple of very strong World Cup showings in the 70s/early 80s (3rd place 1974, 1982) and only missed out on the Euros during that time by virtue of one qualifying and having Cruyff and his mates in their group twice.

Seem to have done little since then. I'm not sure why they have struggled. Perhaps one of Polish friends might have some thoughts.
[MENTION=41788]Wisła Kraków[/MENTION] [MENTION=41728]Machi[/MENTION]

Wisła Kraków

Oct 8, 2020
It would be good to see them back. A couple of very strong World Cup showings in the 70s/early 80s (3rd place 1974, 1982) and only missed out on the Euros during that time by virtue of one qualifying and having Cruyff and his mates in their group twice.

Seem to have done little since then. I'm not sure why they have struggled. Perhaps one of Polish friends might have some thoughts.
[MENTION=41788]Wisła Kraków[/MENTION] [MENTION=41728]Machi[/MENTION]

You called me to the board, so here I am. There is no one and only correct answer and nobody in Poland would answer simply to that question. This is a big country, completely crazy about football (although I may not look like one from afar). 80/90 is specific because of the transformation (end of communism, USRR etc.) and very difficult beginnings of capitalism (poverty, mafia etc.) . Sport was one of the victims. After World Cup in Mexico 1986 we waited until Korea in 2002, 16 lat years. I was born in 1987 so I am the generation of "Poland was great football country once, go father will tell you, but now we suck and let's get used to that"). After 2002 when things began to stabilise the Western footbal world was so ahead financially that it was already really hard to catch-up. Even in the 90's Polish clubs Legia or Widzew could play good games against the big clubs if they could. Now these are different worlds.

And another thing is the generation. We had great generation in the 70/80's (the squad the eliminated England in 1973 on Wembley and later came 3rd in the world and 3rd in 1982 was their last big party + young promising players like Boniek already were there) later a gap. There were good guys in the 90's (In 1992 we got silver medal in the Olympics in Barcelona, final on the Camp Nou against Spain lost 3:2) and out coaches were mentally in the old times and world went on. They still based the game on physical skills, players prepared in the mountins in winter (like in Rocky 4, you know what I mean) and despite we were close a few times, we could play eg fantastic game in 1997 against France in Paris (0:0 I think) which later on won the World Cup in 98. But we had always difficult groups in eliminations (eg Italy and England at the same time and only 1-2 teams could be promoted).

Ok I think nobody will hardly read this but you mentioned me, so here I am :D

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wisła Kraków;9553923 said:
You called me to the board, so here I am. There is no one and only correct answer and nobody in Poland would answer simply to that question. This is a big country, completely crazy about football (although I may not look like one from afar). 80/90 is specific because of the transformation (end of communism, USRR etc.) and very difficult beginnings of capitalism (poverty, mafia etc.) . Sport was one of the victims. After World Cup in Mexico 1986 we waited until Korea in 2002, 16 lat years. I was born in 1987 so I am the generation of "Poland was great football country once, go father will tell you, but now we suck and let's get used to that"). After 2002 when things began to stabilise the Western footbal world was so ahead financially that it was already really hard to catch-up. Even in the 90's Polish clubs Legia or Widzew could play good games against the big clubs if they could. Now these are different worlds.

And another thing is the generation. We had great generation in the 70/80's (the squad the eliminated England in 1973 on Wembley and later came 3rd in the world and 3rd in 1982 was their last big party + young promising players like Boniek already were there) later a gap. There were good guys in the 90's (In 1992 we got silver medal in the Olympics in Barcelona, final on the Camp Nou against Spain lost 3:2) and out coaches were mentally in the old times and world went on. They still based the game on physical skills, players prepared in the mountins in winter (like in Rocky 4, you know what I mean) and despite we were close a few times, we could play eg fantastic game in 1997 against France in Paris (0:0 I think) which later on won the World Cup in 98. But we had always difficult groups in eliminations (eg Italy and England at the same time and only 1-2 teams could be promoted).

The 70s were my first times following football. Thankfully I was fast asleep by the time England finished that match in 1973. The Polish keeper was outstanding and despite being camped in the Polish third the ball just wouldn't go in. Both teams were good enough to make progress in the finals but it was Poland who advanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi9vZCo215w

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about what has happened since. Poland are always seen as a team that should be beaten although without any ease. It would be good to see them advance again. Although the financial climate of football is so geared against teams who haven't had a head start.

Machi

Sep 18, 2020
Hove

I agree with You. Very well said. Also I would add very important fact- CORRUPTION. Polish league football have a really bad recent history in this case

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
You called me to the board, so here I am.

Don’t undersell yourself. The reply will have been appreciated by a lot of NSCers who welcome the views of many. Thanks for responding. I too remember the match in ‘73 and Brian Clough’s classification of your goalie as a clown. It was Shilton of course among others who were left red-faced! We are excited about our new recruits!

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Wisła Kraków;9548319 said:
I've read last few pages so can refer to some unanswered questions:

- the news about Bielsa reached Poland, even that in Leeds the city has named a street after him. We've got Mateusz Klich there as a playmaker so "Bielsa" materials aren't rare. Unless there was some hidden meaning to that comment I can't reckon :smokin:

- Moder's position is 8, sometimes even 6. He's best at interception, yet as you observed, box-to-box player is quite an elegant description. He's got fantastic shot from distance and I mean it - after his debut in Ektraklasa he got like 3 goals per 4-5 shots from outside the box. It was quite smashing even in our strange league. Do not consider his as 10, he was tried there but it's not his pair of shoes, you'll have better fitted guys there

- as far as Italy game is concerned Moder was actually the best there in Polish team (alongside Bereszyński and Walukiewicz - another gem, but already in Cagliari since 19/20. Not for very long anymore we think). Moder played alongside very experienced Grzegorz Krychowiak (2 cups Europa League with Sevilla, also selected in the Euro16 UEFA Team and I think 15/16 La Liga Team of the Year, later on 2 years of failure in PSG, now Locomotiv Moscow, also chosen to the Team of the Year 19/20 of Prijemier Liga). And Krychowiak looked like slow,bulky Moder's apprentice (who actually played for the second time in our National team). Amazing

- No, you won't see both boys in the Europa League. Karbownik's Legia Warsaw was knocked out in the 4th round of preliminaries (and as a club is undergoing serious problems right now, hence Brighton had to pay only 4-5,5M for him. Just 2-3 months earlier there was really close to seal the deal with Napoli for 8-8,5M. You just patiently and succussfully played your cards there and won).

Cheers, it's really nice you follow the boys
Thanks for that and welcome to the board.

Wisła Kraków

Oct 8, 2020
Moder scored tonight in a 2-1 defeat

Moder is has been probably selected as a penalty taker for this season, so far it's 2/2 in the league. Maybe he will be selected in Brighton too to take penatlies?
Nonetheless, after extremely intensive time in Europa League qual.,the league, and UEFA Nations League Moder performed poorly against Jagiellonia. Actually, the whole team did. The look like they need some rest after this maraton, and still, Benfica waits on Thursday. Lech's main concern is a dramatic situation among middle defenders, there is 1/4 ready to play so fans start to really get uneasy before the game.

Karbownik in Legia game had a few quality rides, decent performance.

It should be stated out that at their age it's quite normal to play a weaker game after a few solid ones.

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here