Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Points required for survival?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I thought it would be interesting to look at how things stood at the halfway stage of each of those season for comparison with now.
2014/15: Millwall 23, Wigan 20, Brighton 20, Blackpool 13
2013/14: Doncaster 21, Sheff W 19 (with a game in hand), Yeovil 17, Barnsley 16
2012/13: Sheff W 21, Barnsley 21, Bristol City 19, Peterborough 19 (Wolves who went down in 23rd with 51 points were 13th with 31 points)
2011/12: Bristol City 21, Nottingham Forest 21, Doncaster 19, Coventry 16 (Portsmouth were 17th with 27 points)
2010/11: Middlesbrough 24, Scunthorpe 23 (w two games in hand), Palace 22, Preston 19 (Sheffield United went down in 23rd with 42 points, they were 20th with 25 points)

So for the last four seasons two of the bottom three at this stage of the season have gone down. In 2009/10 all three went down. In 2008-9 only one did, but all three that did were in the bottom five at this stage. The points totals don't really seem to give as much of a clue to how many were needed to stay up as you'd think they would.

1 more than 21st really does seem to be the best thing to aim for. :shrug:
Face it! If they won 3 on the trot we'd be talking about potential play offs. Problem is they can't seem to win ONE game on the trot!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Face it! If they won 3 on the trot we'd be talking about potential play offs. Problem is they can't seem to win ONE game on the trot!
If they won 10 on the trot we might be in with a shout...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we need another 9 or 10 wins and perhaps few draws to reach 50 points which should be ok. So out of 23 games we need 15 clean sheets down to you back 4 and Stockdale to all raise your game but getting G Greer back will help.

We have 3 London clubs next so 3 wins would change the picture and all are winable. Fulham Charlton away and Brentford at home.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What? Half way through the season and 4 points from safety? They don't need a miracle they just need to put in a few shifts!

18 Rotherham 24 -9 26
19 Huddersfield 24 -13 25
20 Leeds 23 -9 24
21 Millwall 24 -14 24

Latest

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Would you care to explain the logic behind that?
I haven't seen anyone in this league who is head and shoulders better than anyone else. Whilst we've only won three, we've drawn eleven so with a more astute tactician at the helm.....and a tad more luck.....league one will not beckon for us.
I could be totally wrong, hence will reassess at easter but blue and white spectacles/glass half full etc etc

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I haven't seen anyone in this league who is head and shoulders better than anyone else. Whilst we've only won three, we've drawn eleven so with a more astute tactician at the helm.....and a tad more luck.....league one will not beckon for us.
I could be totally wrong, hence will reassess at easter but blue and white spectacles/glass half full etc etc
The problem is; some teams come out of the changing rooms with their balls. Sometimes they get get a spank, and other times they get the rub of the green and their bravery pays off. The problem with Brighton is that they seem to leave their balls behind or don't even come out of the changing rooms.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That is assuming they all loose 3 or 4 games, too much to hope for I think.

Leeds are away at Derby on Tuesday , if they lose they'll be drawn in to the relegation dogfight too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here