Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Points Required for 6th Place - Us, Liverpool, Spurs & Villa Remaining Fixtures

Points required for 6th place

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The results yesterday have me feeling aggrieved all over again about the Palace and Spurs shambles.

I do think we'll get a European spot of some description but you just know they're going to cost us a bigger prize at the end of the season.
Indeed we could and should be looking at winning today to going 4th with games in hand

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Name your price.
Excellent.
1, we're on a thread entitled 'points required for sixth place'. Although it doesn't say so, what it's effectively asking is 'how many points will the team finishing in seventh get'. The team directly above with more points -- or the same points and a better goal difference -- than that team in seventh will have sufficient to finish in sixth place.
2, I wrote: "As a related aside, I'm getting utterly perplexed/irritated by those that claim that we need 9 or 10 points to get into the EL", to which you responded: "Perhaps that is because11 is needed, barring an unimaginable GD swing. 8 enough for ECL."
3, I replied that I'd be willing to have a bet with you that we don't, and you responded with 'name your price'.
4, since I wrote the comment about 9 or 10 points, Spurs and Villa have played, the former winning, the latter losing -- in other words, in terms of Villa the situation has got worse for your argument, while the situation with Spurs has got better for your position
5, My price is £100. The winnings can go to the Trussell Trust. If the sixth placed team gets 66 points, I will be making this donation, whereas if the sixth placed team requires fewer than 66 points, you will.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The results yesterday have me feeling aggrieved all over again about the Palace and Spurs shambles.

I do think we'll get a European spot of some description but you just know they're going to cost us a bigger prize at the end of the season.
We’ve also thrown games away we were in complete control of. Brentford we had about a billion shots on goal and got sucker punched by Fulham at home. It’s easy to point at those VAR errors without VAR we we would two points behind as we don’t get the pen against Manure. As Mac said that’s football we have to keep going.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We’ve also thrown games away we were in complete control of. Brentford we had about a billion shots on goal and got sucker punched by Fulham at home. It’s easy to point at those VAR errors without VAR we we would two points behind as we don’t get the pen against Manure. As Mac said that’s football we have to keep going.
It isn't as simple as without VAR we'd be two points behind because we don't get the penalty against Man Utd, as that doesn't take into account the other VAR decisions made in every other game for us and every other team this season.

Mac's goal against Spurs and Pervis against Palace get given without VAR so that's at least 3 points there (forgetting about penalties in the Spurs as they were never given in the first place). Ali Mac gets a hat-trick against Leicester as well but that didn't effect the result of the match, but we'd be another goal better off.

I think I saw a table that shows that VAR decisions actually meant we were 7 points worse off than we would be without VAR, but that was before the Man Utd game so assume it's now -4 for the season. I'm sure it was posted on here (it was a table based on VAR actually changing an on-field decision though so again the penalty claims against Spurs wouldn't be taken into account).

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
See also Forest at home.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It isn't as simple as without VAR we'd be two points behind because we don't get the penalty against Man Utd, as that doesn't take into account the other VAR decisions made in every other game for us and every other team this season.

Mac's goal against Spurs and Pervis against Palace get given without VAR so that's at least 3 points there (forgetting about penalties in the Spurs as they were never given in the first place). Ali Mac gets a hat-trick against Leicester as well but that didn't effect the result of the match, but we'd be another goal better off.

I think I saw a table that shows that VAR decisions actually meant we were 7 points worse off than we would be without VAR, but that was before the Man Utd game so assume it's now -4 for the season. I'm sure it was posted on here (it was a table based on VAR actually changing an on-field decision though so again the penalty claims against Spurs wouldn't be taken into account).
How do you know how those games would have ended though? Spurs yes we probably would of won Palace who knows.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you know how those games would have ended though? Spurs yes we probably would of won Palace who knows.
You can't guarantee, but best guess says we'd have won against Palace. Palace created nothing all game and only got a goal because of a freak mistake. When we scored our second, we continued attacking - so had our first goal correctly stood, we would have continued attacking and there's no reason to suspect our second wouldn't have still happened.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We don't know how those games would have ended, we can make a guess though. The VAR table that was produced takes the simplistic approach that nothing else changes other than the VAR decisions because that is a known variable that actually happened and had a potentially game changing effect.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Without VAR it would have taken a brave ref to give us that penalty against united especially with refs historically bottling decisions against united.

Not suggesting for a second it was a clear penalty but VAR meant there was no question.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Without VAR it would have taken a brave ref to give us that penalty against united especially with refs historically bottling decisions against united.

Not suggesting for a second it was a clear penalty but VAR meant there was no question.
The comments aren't generally about being 'without VAR', but without the unacceptable mistakes they've made against us.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Excellent.
1, we're on a thread entitled 'points required for sixth place'. Although it doesn't say so, what it's effectively asking is 'how many points will the team finishing in seventh get'. The team directly above with more points -- or the same points and a better goal difference -- than that team in seventh will have sufficient to finish in sixth place.
2, I wrote: "As a related aside, I'm getting utterly perplexed/irritated by those that claim that we need 9 or 10 points to get into the EL", to which you responded: "Perhaps that is because11 is needed, barring an unimaginable GD swing. 8 enough for ECL."
3, I replied that I'd be willing to have a bet with you that we don't, and you responded with 'name your price'.
4, since I wrote the comment about 9 or 10 points, Spurs and Villa have played, the former winning, the latter losing -- in other words, in terms of Villa the situation has got worse for your argument, while the situation with Spurs has got better for your position
5, My price is £100. The winnings can go to the Trussell Trust. If the sixth placed team gets 66 points, I will be making this donation, whereas if the sixth placed team requires fewer than 66 points, you will.
OK, just would rather split 50:50 with https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mark-sims5. OK?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
All I know is we will need it sewn up before the Villa game as I’m getting chills thinking about needing something final day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here