Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poch Sacked

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The football at Spurs has been dire since the turn of the year, not sure what the trade off is?

So you think that this is a good move and are excited about the future then?

It’s certainly interesting from a neutral’s perspective

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't underestimate Levy. I suspect he may have calculated that if he can take the club to another level then the income will be off the scale. It was reported yesterday that citeh have eclipsed united in the income stakes.

Given that, how best get to the next level? Spend. Who's good at succeeding after spending? Maureen.

I think Levy knows exactly what he's doing.

Very good spot by certain posters, btw. That includes [MENTION=14640]oldboyroy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Spurs committed to 150 million last summer and said there was more money.

I would like to think the club will loosen the purse strings slightly.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
. Personally I think their issue is that they haven't really freshened up their squad under Poch, primarily because of lack of funds. You simply cannot kick on with a team that barely changes over 2,3,4 years - you always need fresh impetus.

100% this. Players have got bored of Poch and the lack of new faces is never a good thing.

Jose will be ok for a couple of years then back to TV with another big payoff.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So you think that this is a good move and are excited about the future then?

It’s certainly interesting from a neutral’s perspective

Its going to go one way or the other - a fired up Jose is a magnificent beast.

The parting of the ways with Mopo isnt the wrong call, if you look at all the defence of the man and the outcry it is 99% emotional reasons why he should stay - there just isnt a footballing reason why its a bad call (in my view) its a mirror of CH getting the sack and the response - minus the racism stuff

I am excited as I think we will spend money, we will see a different team and some one who wont pick his mates.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tripper is no longer at Spurs, to be fair. Dier isn't very good IMO and Alli is a bit of a sicknote and always has been. Personally I think their issue is that they haven't really freshened up their squad under Poch, primarily because of lack of funds. You simply cannot kick on with a team that barely changes over 2,3,4 years - you always need fresh impetus.

Oddly one of the players I am mostly excited about under Jose is is Dier, I think he could kick on.

Mopo had funds, he decided not to use them - he was offered players last summer and in Jan - he turned them down.

One of the reasons I think he wont work at a massive club is he is too stubborn.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Levy switches from the project and playing with style, to Mourinho’s win silverware at any cost ethos.

Will Levy/Joe Lewis start spending at ManC levels? ManU almost did, with an £800m squad cost, but it still wasn’t enough.

Spunking 52 mil plus add ons for Fred was shrewd business by Mourinho. No chance of the performance related add ons getting triggered.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
My Spurs mate says

Seems that the rot had set in at the arse end of last season. Even while we were fluking our way through to the CL Final-last minute goals, VAR etc, we were appalling in the League

He seems to have sulks with individual players and freezes them out completely for a time as per your list

Revealing stat I saw last week though that he had not played an unchanged team for 94 games
They are certainly a different team now to when Poch 1st got going. Slow and methodical. We get outworked by every other team when it used to be the other way around
This is actually a Mourinho team. He doesn’t like energetic pressing teams

My list of players referred to (as not trying very hard) was Delle Ali, Erikson, Alderwiereld, Vertongen, Rose but you could probably add more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
West Ham v Spurs, Saturday 12.30

This news has just given the execs at BT Sport a 24 hour boner.
Although that's a little extreme and somewhat unlikely, these days :down:

It is pleasing to have already played Shite Spurs and having the return fixture before the transfer window is thrown open.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My Spurs mate says

Seems that the rot had set in at the arse end of last season. Even while we were fluking our way through to the CL Final-last minute goals, VAR etc, we were appalling in the League

He seems to have sulks with individual players and freezes them out completely for a time as per your list

Revealing stat I saw last week though that he had not played an unchanged team for 94 games
They are certainly a different team now to when Poch 1st got going. Slow and methodical. We get outworked by every other team when it used to be the other way around
This is actually a Mourinho team. He doesn’t like energetic pressing teams

My list of players referred to (as not trying very hard) was Delle Ali, Erikson, Alderwiereld, Vertongen, Rose but you could probably add more.

Would this give Harry Kane an excuse to further his career at a bigger club!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is an appointment born out of blind panic. Spurs are mortgaged up to the eyeballs now with their glitzy new stadium - they desperately need Champions League football to help fund it. They've become accustomed to that additional revenue stream over the last 4 years, so not making top 4 will be a disaster for them on and off the pitch.

They've stood still in the transfer market for too long, the squad has become stale, they have several key players who don't want to be there any more and will leave in the summer for nothing, the playing side needs a major overhaul. Levy will be hoping Mourinho can attract the players they need without being able to offer Champions League football (they're obviously not going to bridge an 11 point gap).

This has CATASTROPHE written all over it. Pass the Pringles.

Prediction

Levy will continue with his present transfer policy. (because they can’t afford it, they spent too much on the stadium)

Mourinho will be strangely sanguine about it. (because his motivation isn’t to win stuff any more, he wants to live in London and get another 3 or 4 seasons of his exceptional wage)

Spurs will pick up a bit this season, but not challenge for trophies or the top 4.

The football will be pragmatic and Spurs fans will tolerate it for a couple of years

Kane and Erikson will go in the summer. The replacements will be better than expected, but Spurs still can’t get back in to the top 4.

Jose will get paid off in acrimonious circumstances in late 2021

Excellent posts. All of this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will Jose appointment convince any of their out of contract players to sign a new contract or will Erikson and Alderweild follow Poch when he takes over at Real Madrid next week after they have lost to Real Socidad and PSG to signal the sacking of Zindane. I think that he needs to keep Rose who to me is the 2nd best English left back only behind Chilwell and the 3rd best in the Premier after Robertson and Chilwell.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
index.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really? Where was this?

No way do City make more commercially than United.

Thought I saw it reported very recently that city made only £30m less than United so had nearly caught them up.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I see Spanneker has said they will never get a better manager,so perhaps Spurs should admit their mistake and re-employ Poch.:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Will Jose appointment convince any of their out of contract players to sign a new contract or will Erikson and Alderweild follow Poch when he takes over at Real Madrid next week after they have lost to Real Socidad and PSG to signal the sacking of Zindane. I think that he needs to keep Rose who to me is the 2nd best English left back only behind Chilwell and the 3rd best in the Premier after Robertson and Chilwell.

I very much doubt those players will stay. They're leaving because they're not being paid the going rate - so they'll move elsewhere on a freebie, and pick up a MONSTER contract in the bargain (plus probably Champions League football as well). Why would you stay at Spurs being underpaid, and end up at best stuck on the Thursday night football carousal for the forseeable along with Man Utd and Arsenal ?

Sod that for a game of soldiers. Erikson et-al would be nuts to hang around for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here