[News] PM's Press Conference - 5PM.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Independent Sage calling for a ten day breaker. Whitty saying huge increase In hospitalisations ‘nailed on’. A lockdown is coming. Might not be before Christmas but it’s happening.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Independent Sage calling for a ten day breaker. Whitty saying huge increase In hospitalisations ‘nailed on’. A lockdown is coming. Might not be before Christmas but it’s happening.

If we listened to indi sage we would have gone back to step 2 in July and in a much worse position.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Putting aside your party political/Brexit fuelled sniping, what do you think this country should do now?

- Pagel comes on LBC at 6 completely disagreeing with the new laws as “not enough. Circuit breaker lockdown should start this evening”.

- Sturgeon tells Scots to have the Christmas they always planned. Just some non-legally backed guidance on only three households meeting at a time, up to Xmas Eve.

- 100+ right wing Tory rebels are lauded on nsc. Their beef … Covid passes and they deem the reaction to Omicron from everyone else as hysteria.

- The excellent Andy Burnham, on R4 at 1:30 today, was very clear that there should be no more restrictions/laws that impinge on businesses or reduce the trade of hospitality. Content with what we have.

So on a restrictions spectrum, we have:

More laws needed, now - Independent Sage

About right for now - Johnson, Whitty, Sturgeon, Burnham

Repeal all laws, we’ve become a communist state - 100+ Tory MP’s, plus an eclectic mix including Labour peer Kate Hoey.

Who the fck is correct, will prove to be correct?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I listened to the whole of the event, on the radio. I thought that Boris managed it effortlessly. He made some typical entertaining descriptions of the things that we should make no mistake about. Whenever he was asked an awkward question he handed it over, immediately to br'er Whitty. After the witty response, generally he ignored the awkward part of the question.

(Incidentally when will people, and this includes MPs as well as interviewers, learn to ask one ****ing question at a time? When they ask three, all he needs to do is thank them, agree with the importance of the questions and then answer the easy one at length. If anyone has the temerity to say he hasn't answered the question, he 'respectfully' refers the questioner to the answer he gave earlier. Must have learned a lesson from one D Beckham who used to start all interviews with 'as I said earlier'. All the while hostile MPs and interviewers keep falling into this silly trap of their own making, Boris can deal with hostilities 'standing on his head').

Boris has also today made reference to the fact that he 'won' the votes yesterday, and it was the tories who won, and that if Starmer had been in charge we would not have gone it alone over the mad vaccine scramble. This is all true and journalists and MPs need to learn a better way of dealing with this.

As far as the actuality is concerned, Whitty warned that the south Africans may well have greater immunity than we do (for a variety of reasons), and they are younger than us on average, so rumours that omnicron is just a sniffle may be premature.

In short I don't know how Boris looked but he sounded to me like a PM in total control of the situation. And I greatly dislike the b'stard. His actual supporters (Sid and Doris Bonkers) must be cock-a-hoop :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t bother watching him waffle on anymore. He can tell his lies, I’ll be damned I’m going sit and listen to them like a good little dummy. Don’t bother reading any of the media coverage of him anymore either. It’s all a pack of lies.

I’m triple jabbed and wear my mask. I’ll not be having any part of this pantomime outside of things I can’t help like pub closures etc and extra faff at work.

Is anyone fooled by this scaremongering anymore. Just lockdown the unvaccinated and let the sensible people get on with our lives, uninterrupted by Robbing Toff and his band of lying cants.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Putting aside your party political/Brexit fuelled sniping, what do you think this country should do now?

- Pagel comes on LBC at 6 completely disagreeing with the new laws as “not enough. Circuit breaker lockdown should start this evening”.

- Sturgeon tells Scots to have the Christmas they always planned. Just some non-legally backed guidance on only three households meeting at a time, up to Xmas Eve.

- 100+ right wing Tory rebels are lauded on nsc. Their beef … Covid passes and they deem the reaction to Omicron from everyone else as hysteria.

- The excellent Andy Burnham, on R4 at 1:30 today, was very clear that there should be no more restrictions/laws that impinge on businesses or reduce the trade of hospitality. Content with what we have.

Repeal all laws, we’ve become a communist state - 100+ Tory MP’s, plus an eclectic mix including Labour peer Kate Hoey.

The only right thing to do is nothing (except for maybe asking people not to lick eachothers nostrils).

Any harsh measures must be made too late or people wont comply. Yes, people will complain that measures were taken too late but too late is the only option.

That said hopefully there will be no reason for harder measures. Currently there isnt but it could change rapdly.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sadly, much as I dislike the man, I thought Boris had one of his better showings tonight. As HWT says above, no pressure put on him whatsoever, it was a doddle.

I'm hoping for a lot stronger stuff when Starmer gets a go at him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t bother watching him waffle on anymore. He can tell his lies, I’ll be damned I’m going sit and listen to them like a good little dummy. Don’t bother reading any of the media coverage of him anymore either. It’s all a pack of lies.

I’m triple jabbed and wear my mask. I’ll not be having any part of this pantomime outside of things I can’t help like pub closures etc and extra faff at work.

Is anyone fooled by this scaremongering anymore. Just lockdown the unvaccinated and let the sensible people get on with our lives, uninterrupted by Robbing Toff and his band of lying cants.

The scientific community seem very concerned by this. Some attacking these ‘scaremongering’ measures on our lives as way too weak.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

See my post after yours :lolol:

Boris is calling the shots. We have 2 weeks for hospitalizations to either go through the roof or not. I suspect Boris' plan now is simple: encourage people to be sensible (but as guidance not law) and let the bodies pile high, albeit in the expectation the pile won't be very high, and allow businesses to decide how to manage their space.

I can understand why he is doing this but it's success is contingent in the corridores of hospitals not being clogged up with Covid cases for weeks and weeks, more postponed operations and treatments for other conditions, more companies going bust, etc.

Fingers crossed people. I loath and distrust Boris but hope his gamble pays off.....

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The scientific community seem very concerned by this. Some attacking these ‘scaremongering’ measures on our lives as way too weak.

Other thing...why do people think Johnson et al would be remotely interested in scaremongering? Anymore restrictions would almost certainly be the end for him. Why does anyone think he’d be doing any of this if there wasn’t some very real and very serious stuff being fed to him?
And people think if you’re vaccinated you’re fine. You’re not. If you’ve had your booster you’re much better off, but there’s still about 30% of the population who haven’t even had their second jab!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly, much as I dislike the man, I thought Boris had one of his better showings tonight. As HWT says above, no pressure put on him whatsoever, it was a doddle.

I'm hoping for a lot stronger stuff when Starmer gets a go at him.

Starmer is in a tricky position now. If he goes along with Boris and we have an NHS crisis he'll look weak. If he campaigns for restrictions he will look like a Scrooge. If he does the latter and there is an NHS crisis then Boris will call him 'captain hindsight'. If he does the latter and Boris' gamble proves correct Boris will call him the agent of national ruin.

Let's face it. Covid is working very well for Boris. It's a win, win, win for him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Boris is calling the shots. We have 2 weeks for hospitalizations to either go through the roof or not. I suspect Boris' plan now is simple: encourage people to be sensible (but as guidance not law) and let the bodies pile high, albeit in the expectation the pile won't be very high, and allow businesses to decide how to manage their space.

I can understand why he is doing this but it's success is contingent in the corridores of hospitals not being clogged up with Covid cases for weeks and weeks, more postponed operations and treatments for other conditions, more companies going bust, etc.

Fingers crossed people. I loath and distrust Boris but hope his gamble pays off.....

No option really. Swe-maestro Tegnell said it quite well: if you move in and out of lockdown, people wont comply. You have one or two free ones but after that you cant call for one before things are disastrous as people wont accept it if there is merely a threat that things could go bad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I just did read your excellent post.

Unusually for nsc, I try to look beyond:
- Introspection on only English matters.
- Johnson/Tories. The age old NSC chestnut, that gives an unrepresentative sample of UK views.

Genuinely, Sturgeon said that yesterday (it’s online) and Burnham today too with his usual clarity …. no more restrictions.

In summary I sense an uneasy consensus of politicians and most scientists. As we stand today.

[I’m assuming you’re not typing posts whilst flying through Goudhurst at 60 mph …. so are you watching the match from Faversham?].

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Other thing...why do people think Johnson et al would be remotely interested in scaremongering? Anymore restrictions would almost certainly be the end for him. Why does anyone think he’d be doing any of this if there wasn’t some very real and very serious stuff being fed to him?
And people think if you’re vaccinated you’re fine. You’re not. If you’ve had your booster you’re much better off, but there’s still about 30% of the population who haven’t even had their second jab!!

To distract from the recent scandals.
To make money for his chums.

Having your booster makes getting seriously ill quite unlikely.

Scientists love all this, their moment in the limelight. Never mind that it was very likely scientists that caused this in the first place.

Anyway, same old discussion. **** all I can do about any of it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. We have to get on with our lives.

In the long run we can’t keep being reactive to this, but right now we simply don’t have the resources or infrastructure to deal with the potential of a huge amount of hospital admissions. If the doomsday merchants are even close to correct any old person who has a heart attack around Christmas, anyone in a serious car crash, anyone who chokes on a turkey bone, they’re going to die because the hospitals are going up be full and all of the Drs, nurses, paramedics etc are going to be busy. We’ve had a chance to get on with our lives but absolutely nothing had been done to prepare for this kind of thing. So right now the priority has to be to curb the spread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports