[News] PM's Press Conference - 5PM.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The only "results" I have heard so far have been from doctors in SA who have said that the symptoms of Omicron are significantly less severe than the Delta variant.

You do realise that South Africa has a significantly younger population than the UK, so its not really comparable.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Last chance for a party political broadcast before the by-election tomorrow, everything is just speculation at this time, it seems little doubt that this variant is more virulent, however
they can't possibly know what impact it is going to have on peoples health and what the resulting impact will be for the NHS

I thought that you couldn't have a party political broadcast the day before an election? That is what this will be; a chance to try to recover some support in the shires following his kicking yesterday.

When will Starmer get his chance to respond? Although, how long would it take Starmer to say "yeah. Whatever the scruffy, corrupt, lying imbecile says"?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why are people who don't want the vaccine so desperate to tell everyone all the time? Is it a sign of being an attention seeker? No-ones arsed

They're all vegan?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
You do realise that South Africa has a significantly younger population than the UK, so its not really comparable.

I find the repeated use of this statistic a bit perplexing. Whilst technically true, it’s not like it’s due to some recent baby boom down there. The reason the median age in South Africa is 13 years lower than the UK is because the average life expectancy is 17 years lower - largely because people are generally less healthy and have less access to healthcare.

The current 7 day average for Covid cases in South Africa is 21,917 - the highest it has ever been. The second highest was in early July, when cases hit just over 19,000. At that point in time the 7 day average for deaths was 338. The latest 7 day average death figure? 24, a number of which are understood to be Delta, not Omicron. I appreciate this is a small sample, but unless Omicron has a much greater lag between the recording of cases through to death, then it’s certainly indicative of a significant reduction in lethality.

I still can’t get my head round thinking that the current level of fear mongering isn’t largely a political stunt. That’s not to say I think Omicron’s threat is trivial - I just think the current reaction is disproportionate.

Anyway, I hope I’m right - and not just so I can be smug on a football messageboard.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The only "results" I have heard so far have been from doctors in SA who have said that the symptoms of Omicron are significantly less severe than the Delta variant.

They've also said it's likely to be a result of previous infections / vaccination offering some protection against severe disease.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Just announced: 78,610 new cases. The rest of the data that goes with this is going to be why he's on TV tonight.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I find the repeated use of this statistic a bit perplexing. Whilst technically true, it’s not like it’s due to some recent baby boom down there. The reason the median age in South Africa is 13 years lower than the UK is because the average life expectancy is 17 years lower - largely because people are generally less healthy and have less access to healthcare.

The current 7 day average for Covid cases in South Africa is 21,917 - the highest it has ever been. The second highest was in early July, when cases hit just over 19,000. At that point in time the 7 day average for deaths was 338. The latest 7 day average death figure? 24, a number of which are understood to be Delta, not Omicron. I appreciate this is a small sample, but unless Omicron has a much greater lag between the recording of cases through to death, then it’s certainly indicative of a significant reduction in lethality.

I still can’t get my head round thinking that the current level of fear mongering isn’t largely a political stunt. That’s not to say I think Omicron’s threat is trivial - I just think the current reaction is disproportionate.

Anyway, I hope I’m right - and not just so I can be smug on a football messageboard.

Do we know (I suspect we don't) whether the rate of testing is the same?
Obviously I hope you're right, but I think it's too early to say.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I still can’t get my head round thinking that the current level of fear mongering isn’t largely a political stunt.

It is. But the ends clearly justify the means.

Amazingly, they broke the record for vaccine jabs per day by 100k yesterday; this means less people will die from the Delta strain. Brilliant.

Johnson is a profound and highly skilled liar, more of the same please Boris, you’re on in 35mins, please scare the living shit out of people around the dangers of Omicron.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Do we know (I suspect we don't) whether the rate of testing is the same?
Obviously I hope you're right, but I think it's too early to say.

That would make it even more favourable wouldn’t it? I accept cases will be missed; dead people are less inconspicuous.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Looks like the use of the news last week didn't create enough of a diversion so they are doubling down. Jokers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not slight. Omicron has enough mutations to be significantly different from any strain seen previously. And while Omicron is good at evading the vaccines if you've only had 2 jabs, all the signs are that the booster is very effective against it. And there's growing evidence that if you catch Omicron despite vaccination/prior infection, the severity of the disease is a lot less than if you aren't vaccinated.

So tl;dr: the vaccines are still worth having.
It's a bit like wearing a seat belt in a car, if you crash with the seat belt on you have a better chance of surviving.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Helps no one.

That’s why we should be having vax passports with testing for everything

I tested the vacuum cleaner this afternoon .... negative. It's a relief as I'm not sure how I would clear up the dog hair if it was in isolation.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It's a bit like wearing a seat belt in a car, if you crash with the seat belt on you have a better chance of surviving.

This reminds me. The tory MPs have been banging on about driving being more dangerous. I wish interviewers would ask if they get their car MOT every year, obey traffic lights, follow speed limits, avoid drunk driving etc. all things the government tells us we must do to protect ourselves and others. Such a weird comparison they have comparing to such a rule driven thing. We have to pass a test before we can do it on our own ffs.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not slight. Omicron has enough mutations to be significantly different from any strain seen previously. And while Omicron is good at evading the vaccines if you've only had 2 jabs, all the signs are that the booster is very effective against it. And there's growing evidence that if you catch Omicron despite vaccination/prior infection, the severity of the disease is a lot less than if you aren't vaccinated.

So tl;dr: the vaccines are still worth having.

I'm vaccinated but what you have put goes against what the South African women who found this variant is saying. To many conflicting reports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports