Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] PM's Press Conference - 5PM.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The Gruesome Twosome can't be good news. They are normally wheeled out to chuck a load of data at us which normally results in a statement of the bleedin obvious.

Follow the rules, get the booster etc etc.

We just don't know yet what the results of Omicron will be, but I'm getting a bit tired of all the panicky predictions coming out before we have anything tangible.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Does anyone think a lockdown in jan isn’t coming?

For about the last 3 weeks I've been predicting a January lockdown. He didn't want to be Scrooge again by buggering up Xmas again so I think the plan was to just limp past the holiday season.

Really hope I'm wrong!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Any big news will be in a national TV address at 8pm and not at a press conference.

It wont be anything of excitement tonight.

They will be just dusting off the PowerPoint slides of lots of lines going in different directions in different regions and JVT trying to update his analogy of the great COVID train journey. We are through the tunnel, but now someone has parked a bus across the level crossing and we are applying the brakes and hoping for the best.

No doubt some new 3 word catchy phrase printed on the podiums. Boris Big Boost. Boost for Britain, ….

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
For about the last 3 weeks I've been predicting a January lockdown. He didn't want to be Scrooge again by buggering up Xmas again so I think the plan was to just limp past the holiday season.

Really hope I'm wrong!

Wasn’t that last year’s plan? I mean, why reinvent the wheel?

Honestly, I can just about handle pubs closing, I’d be gutted about fans being barred from games (largely because that will be the end of the season for me, most likely) but I’ll be positively apoplectic if the schools shut again. I’ve had enough of those shenanigans to last me a good few lifetimes.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well I’m not getting vaccinated Boris can feck off the vaccine can’t even deal with slight mutation. Whoever got a Nobel prize for that shite should hand it back.

I dont think it's a slight mutation, quite a heavy mutation. Who got a Nobel Prize out of interest? I've only seen an honorary CBE awarded

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Politics at play here as well.

Easy win to wheel out these two because generally speaking the public believe them. Trying to marginalise the MPs who voted against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Whatever it's for, he needs to be really careful given there's a by-election tomorrow. Anything that could be construed as political, especially if deemed as an attempt to influence voters tomorrow, will be jumped on by opposition parties.

As such: it'll be a pure public health messaging event. I doubt any new policies will be announced (too risky), and as such I expect there will be nothing more than "guidance" based on the existing policies and an update on what the data is telling us. It will be a disguised attempt to prove that he's right and the 99 Tories who voted against yesterday are wrong, in the hope that it convinces enough Tory voters to stick with him tomorrow.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Both correct I think......expect more slides with graphs, a sombre warning about restrictions being 'inevitable' if the pace of infection continues and a desperate plea to get a booster jab.....plus maybe a 'wait and see' glimmer of light on severity (followed by a completely STOOPID question from 'Karen in Nottingham' about parties or shopping):shrug:

In other words keep flooding us with information that doesnt involve Christmas parties so that we forget about Christmas parties

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
Last chance for a party political broadcast before the by-election tomorrow, everything is just speculation at this time, it seems little doubt that this variant is more virulent, however
they can't possibly know what impact it is going to have on peoples health and what the resulting impact will be for the NHS

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Unlikely to be an announcement of more restrictions. The Tory diehards won't stand for that only a day after yesterday's debacle in the Commons. One possibility will be that he'll announce some kind of Sturgeon-like "recommendation" that people limit their contacts to a certain number of households, in the hope that there'll be enough people who are scared/compliant enough for that to make a difference to transmission rates, pending the booster rollout.

He promised* in Parliament yesterday that he would come back to Parliament if he wanted any more restrictions.

*I know, I know. Boris and promises don't go well together, but don't think he'd survive if he tried that on!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Gruesome Twosome can't be good news. They are normally wheeled out to chuck a load of data at us which normally results in a statement of the bleedin obvious.

Follow the rules, get the booster etc etc.

We just don't know yet what the results of Omicron will be, but I'm getting a bit tired of all the panicky predictions coming out before we have anything tangible.

The only "results" I have heard so far have been from doctors in SA who have said that the symptoms of Omicron are significantly less severe than the Delta variant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here