Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Might have to cancel the North Shropshire by-election.... :lolol:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Might have to cancel the North Shropshire by-election.... :lolol:

Well I guess older people might be less likely to pop out.

This feels so much like last year it is grim.

Others have mentioned not wanting a vax and these people have a remarkably strong correlation with being firmly against lockdowns. At what point will the penny drop that one makes the other less likely?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well I guess older people might be less likely to pop out.

This feels so much like last year it is grim.

Others have mentioned not wanting a vax and these people have a remarkably strong correlation with being firmly against lockdowns. At what point will the penny drop that one makes the other less likely?

I hope it's temporary. I also hope that a milder variant taking hold means Covid is moving towards being a winter flu type thing.

I also hope it's temporary because it means that's another job and thousands of pounds it's going to cost me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely the situation can’t have become unpredictably worse since his last announcement three days ago.

It could have doubled, and doubled again in that time. A lot of this is modelling, if this thing is actually going faster than the models and data is catching up to verify that, then it may well be an escalating problem.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I guess the big worry is that if it keeps doubling and millions are in isolation then the country grinds to a halt anyway. Let’s hope it is milder and then this could be the storm just before it goes calm!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Well I’m not getting vaccinated Boris can feck off the vaccine can’t even deal with slight mutation. Whoever got a Nobel prize for that shite should hand it back.

To be fair, that’s not quite accurate. No one has suggested that the existing vaccines can’t deal with the current mutation (if that was the situation, no one would be receiving the same vaccines as a booster!). If you compare COVID to flu, the vaccine for the flu is tweaked slightly every year to take into account the current strain of the virus in circulation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Plan C, perhaps?

His own party wouldn't even support Plan B. He won't get Plan C through anywhere without either Labour support or trying to push through legislation without Parliament.

If he does either of those things he's a dead duck and experience should tell you that the only actual thing Boris ever focusses on is staying in power until tomorrow.

It'll be another smoke screen as there's far too much media coverage of the rebellion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair, that’s not quite accurate. No one has suggested that the existing vaccines can’t deal with the current mutation (if that was the situation, no one would be receiving the same vaccines as a booster!). If you compare COVID to flu, the vaccine for the flu is tweaked slightly every year to take into account the current strain of the virus in circulation.

Yep.

The vaccines with the booster aren’t a panacea that 100% prevents infection.

But they reduce the severity of illness.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Well I’m not getting vaccinated Boris can feck off the vaccine can’t even deal with slight mutation. Whoever got a Nobel prize for that shite should hand it back.

It's not slight. Omicron has enough mutations to be significantly different from any strain seen previously. And while Omicron is good at evading the vaccines if you've only had 2 jabs, all the signs are that the booster is very effective against it. And there's growing evidence that if you catch Omicron despite vaccination/prior infection, the severity of the disease is a lot less than if you aren't vaccinated.

So tl;dr: the vaccines are still worth having.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Could be a "stop hoarding tests we've run out" type plea?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am sure I heard less than two days on the news earlier (but I was doing something else so might not be correct but this is the internet so will post as FACT)

Jenny Harries said it I think........from the BBC 'The head of the UK Health Security Agency says the doubling time of the variant is now under two days in most of the UK'

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Crackerjack reboot?

(just read they did that last year but you take my point)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Unlikely to be an announcement of more restrictions. The Tory diehards won't stand for that only a day after yesterday's debacle in the Commons. One possibility will be that he'll announce some kind of Sturgeon-like "recommendation" that people limit their contacts to a certain number of households, in the hope that there'll be enough people who are scared/compliant enough for that to make a difference to transmission rates, pending the booster rollout.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His own party wouldn't even support Plan B. He won't get Plan C through anywhere without either Labour support or trying to push through legislation without Parliament.

If he does either of those things he's a dead duck and experience should tell you that the only actual thing Boris ever focusses on is staying in power until tomorrow.

It'll be another smoke screen as there's far too much media coverage of the rebellion.

Any big news will be in a national TV address at 8pm and not at a press conference.

It wont be anything of excitement tonight.

Both correct I think......expect more slides with graphs, a sombre warning about restrictions being 'inevitable' if the pace of infection continues and a desperate plea to get a booster jab.....plus maybe a 'wait and see' glimmer of light on severity (followed by a completely STOOPID question from 'Karen in Nottingham' about parties or shopping):shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports