Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Only one of us two been drinking here today matey, and it's not me. You're just very strange. Are you one of those Argus Comments freaks with about ten usernames that lives in mum's spare room by any chsnce?

No, your on so many different threads your confusing yourself, whilst we are on the subject of guessing each other’s persona I imagine you as spending most of your sad little life so a lot of talking and not a lot of doing, fair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
All about opinions I guess, I simply think that the courtroom delivery will soon lose the novelty value when his 'fish in a barrel' target moves on next year and he has to start showing his cards as to where Labour is going post Corbyn.

I agree, it's different, but three weeks in and an easy subject target....hardly world changing mg so far.

Happy to address this thread in 12/18 months time.
Its all so surreal with BJ and Trump. Is surreal the the word I’m looking for ? Probably not.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The economy will dominate the next GE completely because of the mess we're now in.................headway in terms of recovery and lots of positive signs and the Tories will walk it. Anything else and could be closer than would normally be expected after one term with such a large majority I reckon. Whether BoJo is leader by then is a different matter though - can easily some sort of party rebellion and ousting before then. Starmer is basically acting like a calm, rational Piers Morgan at the moment - he can ask all the difficult questions without having to propose a single thing. Test for him will come when he has to start formulating policies, and get the whole party behind him without any diverging factions.

Of course the economy and how we're doing in 2024 will form a significant part of the election debate, but the EU debate is far from over and I still expect it to be a major part of the next GE.

Starmer is a died in the wool europhile, had no shame at all in being one of the main protagonists in trying to over turn the referendum result, despite previous assertions not to, he's surrounded himself and his shadow cabinet with fellow pro EU tubthumpers. He's playing the long game imho.

What happens between now and then of course may well decide that debate, as we diverge from the EU for the next few years ours and EUs relative successes or failures in the next 4.5 years may become a self fulfilling battle line.

I expect Starmer to try and take the UK back in, he will appeal to the remain wing on the left and centre and can also see Leave and cons playing on that "he never gave up trying to overturn your vote and he still wants to drag you back in" narrative......... when the time comes

Last edited:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Part of this is a fallacy. May in the 2017 election collected 13,636,684 votes and lost 13 seats, Johnson got 13,966,454 votes, a difference of 300,000ish across the entire country, and gained 48 seats on a turnout down 1.5 percent.
The Tories didn’t win a majority in terms of votes, but due to our not fit for purpose, ‘Democratic’ electoral system he was a big winner.

You are right to highlight those issues, but it sort of reinforces my point. My point being that for what ever reason Boris just wins elections.

He has won the following:

2 x London Mayoral elections
1 x EU referendum
1 x Conservative leader election
1 x GE landslide

He his like the football team that plays crap every week and still wins the league. Bloody annoying.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Its all so surreal with BJ and Trump. Is surreal the the word I’m looking for ? Probably not.

It'll get even more surreal if we leave the EU.

Oh...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think PMQ is rubbish at moment. Certainly no BJ fan but so easy with this virus to score points when asking questions. If schools dont go back he wil be able to criticise and if they dont will still say its wrong. Same with lock down. PMQ just shows how easy it is to run country during a crisis when your not in government.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Johnson is going to have PTSD about Wednesday lunchtimes for a long time. He's simply not good enough and Starmer I expect, hasn't even got out of 2nd gear yet.

I only heard an extract from it on WATO, but he was just floundering. And he's been preparing for this all week. Incompetent. The veil has been lifted.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I only heard an extract from it on WATO, but he was just floundering. And he's been preparing for this all week. Incompetent. The veil has been lifted.

The Veil has not been lifted. This is a man who hid in a fridge when asked a fairly simple question a few days before the last GE.

Everyone knows what he is, but they still like him. Strange isn't it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As good as it is that this government is being properly scrutinised and questioned over the claims they make, it matters nothing. Gove was at it with regards to the NI protocol today, they know there are to be checks but he just waffled on about light touch and unfettered still. They have such a majority that everything will be waved through including a trade bill that is going to destroy farming in this country.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You don't appear to understand how politics works. He won a massive majority in a general election in December 2019. There is very little chance of Labour turning around that Conservative majority in the next GE without winning a huge amount of seats back in Scotland.

Performances at PMQ's very rarely translate to the ballot box. William Hauge used to get the better of Tony Blair at PMQ's, but that did him little good when it came to votes.

The next GE is very likely to be in 2024 and I am very sorry to say that Covid 19 will probably not even get a mention. The world would have moved on since then.

I am not disagreeing with you in BoJo's performance dealing with Covid 19 or during PMQ's, but to think he will be gone soon is just wishful thinking and a little bit naive on your part.

[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] is going to have to patiently explain to me how to respond directly to quotes but, in the absence of that, I'm referring to each emboldened passage in turn:
-- agreed, and I don't see Labour winning many seats in Scotland. The only other scenario is the Greens and Lib Dems are pretty much wiped out (or agree to stand down in the next election if Labour backs PR, which it should, in no small part because of the Scotland issue, which may even be independent by then any way)
-- what makes you think 2024? In the last five years, we've had three elections, and things have got more disruptive since ...
-- ... and f&*^ knows why on earth you think CV19 won't even get a mention. There will be sectors of the economy still struggling to get to half capacity even in four years time (eg aviation)
-- as many on here have said, the Tories are ruthless with their leaders, although there has been a bit of a personality cult developed around Boris Bannon Buffoon

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The next GE is very likely to be in 2024 and I am very sorry to say that Covid 19 will probably not even get a mention. The world would have moved on since then.

You don't think you Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party's handling of COVID-19 and the subsequent economic fallout will get a mention at the next election? What a prediction. The Conservatives were still blaming Labour for the 2008 global financial crash, and the subsequent global recession, in 2019. That was three elections later.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You don't think you Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party's handling of COVID-19 and the subsequent economic fallout will get a mention at the next election? What a prediction. The Conservatives were still blaming Labour for the 2008 global financial crash, and the subsequent global recession, in 2019. That was three elections later.

Agreed, although they will just use the standard line rolled out by labour supporters which was, it was the same all over the world, not Gordon’s fault. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I understand your point, but the reason the Conservatives kept going on about the 2008 financial crisis was because that was the last time Labour was in power.

The reason I said Covid 19 wont sadly get a mention is because I feel that the world moves on and other news items happen.

Take the Australian PM for instance. Pre Covid 19 he was dispised because of his handling of the bush fire crisis. Now he is a hero for his response to Covid 19.

Mrs T was in trouble in the early 80's, then come the Falklands war and she is a hero.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] is going to have to patiently explain to me how to respond directly to quotes

You just type [QU0TE] Put what they've said here, then end it with [/QU0TE]

I've changed the O in quote to a zero so that you can see it.

To see who the quote is from, leave the first quote as the forum makes it. In this example (me quoting you), that's [QU0TE=Machiavelli;9352483] and close with [/QU0TE]
Again, I've change the 'O' to a zero (in both opening and closing 'quote'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here