PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted member 2719

The Prime Minister and the government insisted on it, week after week after week, until it became an issue for them when we were, as you put it, "top of the league".

Simple yes or no question, no whataboutery - did you find it equally sad when the Prime Minister and the government used it as a political statement to show how well they thought they were doing?

Yes or no.
I think you are a fair poster, so why avoid my questions, below?
In answer to your question:
No, of course not, where did they make it a political statement? The Science, the NHS, Care workers, the Army and all other keyworkers we're always positively backed in a team like scenario.
I have seen little evidence of Tory PR being used.

Do you actually believe all the other countries figures?

Do they all count the COVID deaths the same?

did you manage to get to either of the answers at the bottom?
Roger, I am assuming six is your age.

Do you think The Conservatives would have been a 'silent partner' to a preciding Labour government in these unprecedented times of pandemic? Could you imagine Raab, Johnson, JRM, Patel etc al keeping quiet and backing the government to the hilt on EVERY issue connected to Covid 19. Would they not be questioning decisions made by Labour (or any other ruling party) on matters they thought the government had failed in? There will be a time and place for all this to be debated further and that time will be after all this has died down, we all hope that is sooner rather than later but in the meantime it is only correct Labour are holding the government to account NOW. It's what is best for the country and not solely for political gain, but to improve performance from goverment ministers. We are all in this together but to rough ride over criticism from opposition is only papering over the cracks.
You're guessing that the tories would be ripping into the labour party, they would lose all respect as the labour party are NOW for not being constructive.
I have said many times, leave it for later probably 12 months plus before you can get a true picture of what we did right and what we did wrong as a country, this is still a very new disease.
What do you think the Labour government would have done differently?

Have you ever been on Fighting Talk on radio 5 as there is a round on that quiz that is right up your street!!!

Sounds good, is it called 'use your logic'?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No, of course not, where did they make it a political statement? The Science, the NHS, Care workers, the Army and all other keyworkers we're always positively backed in a team like scenario.

You're guessing that the tories would be ripping into the labour party, they would lose all respect as the labour party are NOW for not being constructive.
I have said many times, leave it for later probably 12 months plus before you can get a true picture of what we did right and what we did wrong as a country, this is still a very new disease.

Hahahahahahahahhaaaaahahahahahahahaha! :lolol:

Oh, you're trying to be serious. Wow.

D

Deleted member 2719

Make of this what you will... it doesn't seem to reflect many of the angry voices we hear so much from. One poll is not exactly forensic, and probably it will change with time?

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 51% (+6)
LAB: 32% (-1)
LDEM: 7% (-5)
SNP: 5% (+1)
GRN: 2% (-1)

Via Kantar May 11
Changes wGE 2019

I see this as accurate.
The media have lost all respect and no one listens to them anymore, because they just look to sensationalise everything and anything, it's sad that some from NSC will keep listening and reading their tripe.
I see it as a challenge to open their vision, but I feel their glasses are welded on their noses.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I see this as accurate.
The media have lost all respect and no one listens to them anymore, because they just look to sensationalise everything and anything, it's sad that some from NSC will keep listening and reading their tripe.
I see it as a challenge to open their vision, but I feel their glasses are welded on their noses.

I see this as accurate.

You would wouldn’t you. If it had showed the conservatives in a bad light you’d come up with some bollocks about it being fake or having an agenda.

FWIW, Kantar are owned by a US private equity firm which always makes me suspicious. In the same way I would be suspicious if I read a survey saying that labour were ahead only to find out it was commissioned by a left leaning think tank.

Very large holes are appearing in the government and any Leader of the opposition worth there salt would be wading in. In fact, if they did not then they should resign. I reckon he’s been reserved.

Churchill actively searched for the best people across the political divide as he believed in right tool right job.

Boris can’t even find the best people in his party. However he does have plenty of tools!

I can say with certainty that if corbyn had been PM he to would be getting a new one ripped. Boris and Corbyn where at the time of the election two of the worse party leaders this country has ever seen. ****wits the pair of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The idea of not opposing in the name of "patriotism" or "unity" is a weapon used the world over by leaders I'd rather we weren't looking to emulate, if it's all the same.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
At a time when the country should unite against this virus, and after Labour asked to be part of the meetings to combat it, this seems a little awkward.

The twice Starmer has questioned the Govt, without saying how he would have handled it any differently, does not seem a constructive way forward for the country.

Unless pointing at each other over the dispatch box like schoolkids is beneficial of course.

As I said before, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for Starmer right now. Let's hear some constructive suggestions and plans rather than criticism. If he's to make a decent PM, then time to show his skills.

would cummings listen tho'?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I see this as accurate.

If anything, the media haven't made enough of some of the facts :

- 50,000 excess deaths (+61%) compared with Italy + 24,500 (+55%) or Germany 4,800 (+6%) as of 2 days ago
- 119 Deaths of NHS workers
- People with COVID being released into care homes to spread the disease

Would you ascribe any blame to the Tories or was it just a bit of bad luck and They are doing a cracking job?

On the flip slide, the furlough scheme and the availability of testing if you need it they have done well at albeit were too slow off the mark in the 1st place on the later. Is there any point you'd offer criticism of the Tories? I find it odd when people are so one sided on these arguments. It's not like supporting the Albion through thick and thin.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This, completely. Starmer would be failing in his duty if he didn't hold hmgov to account. Plus he's only asking for straightforward answers to straightforward questions. Which is enough to reduce Boris to a bluffing blustering wreck. Shocking to watch all his flaws laid bare in plain sight
Gonna keep reminding posters:-

The Greatest Orator of this Generation.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I see this as accurate.

Where do you receive your aberrant ideas from then Mouldy? The bloke next door?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think we can over-estimate the importance of PMQs to the country at large. Most people know Starmer is a smart chap, most people know Johnson isn't. I suspect all off this is already discounted. It's not going to change anything given the Conservative majority.

Starmer's challenge is convincing people that he and his front bench would have done any better that Johnson's. A weekly ritual humiliation of Johnson doesn't hurt, but he's going to have to do more than that IMO.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The idea of not opposing in the name of "patriotism" or "unity" is a weapon used the world over by leaders I'd rather we weren't looking to emulate, if it's all the same.

100% correct.

BoJo is a sitting target right now, anyone could lay into him with a few cutting criticisms. Even some posters on here would be able to nail him.

Were Keir to say "You know what, I'll show you how it should have been done" then not only would we get a pooling of resources, we'd have the next leader of the UK.

He needs to be a little more creative.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think we can over-estimate the importance of PMQs to the country at large. Most people know Starmer is a smart chap, most people know Johnson isn't. I suspect all off this is already discounted. It's not going to change anything given the Conservative majority.

Starmer's challenge is convincing people that he and his front bench would have done any better that Johnson's. A weekly ritual humiliation of Johnson doesn't hurt, but he's going to have to do more than that IMO.

Yes agreed.
Lets see what else he's got in his locker.

It's nice to see a broadly electable and capable leader of the opposition.

For every naturally left leaning voter who is enjoying his intellect, there will be 20 undecideds who will think he is too clever by half.
He doesn't need to convert the likes of me, to be able to form a government.

He has a big job on his hands undoubtedly.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Now you know Mouldy you old rascal no one knows how or what Labour would have done differently in this unprecedented situation. They may well have been an absolute car crash of a governing party or they may have handled the situation with calm, calculating and thoughtful actions. No one knows and let's hope this scenario never plays out, not because I would not like to see a Labour government but because I hope this situation never occurs again.
In the mean time The Conservatives are in power and it is Labour's duty to the electorate and more widely citizens of the U.K to question The Prime Minister at PMQT. It is only what The conservatives would be doing with a labour ruling party. How would you be feeling if labour was in power atm and the Tory ministers never uttered a word at PMQT when they had the opportunity to challenge detail in the government's handling of this awful virus, you and many others including me, a leftie as you like to call us, would be questioning the elected M.P's ability to debate, healthfuly for the good of the country. It's not entirely political to ask questions about the health of the country, everyone wants the most successful conclusion to a hideous situation.

It's why I very rarely venture onto political threads on here. One thing is I am not so politically minded as some so called experts on here and another is it usually ends in mudslinging and name calling, which to me achieves nothing. Even you must concede the questions asked by Starmer are cool,constructive, polite, and decisive a far cry from past exchanges with the baying crowd supporting both sides.

Hope you and your family are well mate.....will be nice when we can chew the fat over football rather than the P word.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I think this is true enough but, there's one proviso. Tory MPs won't like seeing their leader get a kicking every week. Look at Iain Duncan Smith - he didn't lose an election, he didn't even fight one. He was booted out as leader as he couldn't lay a finger on Blair during PMQ - his performance there was enough to make him a figure of fun.

Johnson's PM, so it's slightly different, but even so, I don't think it's a given that PMQ doesn't ever matter

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think this is true enough but, there's one proviso. Tory MPs won't like seeing their leader get a kicking every week. Look at Iain Duncan Smith - he didn't lose an election, he didn't even fight one. He was booted out as leader as he couldn't lay a finger on Blair during PMQ - his performance there was enough to make him a figure of fun.

Johnson's PM, so it's slightly different, but even so, I don't think it's a given that PMQ doesn't ever matter

It's basically one on one right now in an empty Chamber, where Starmer will thrive.

Once Parliament is full of cheerers, guffawers and hear, hears then the impact will be less, as will Starmers slow, methodical delivery lose its novelty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports