Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I won't, we live in a timeline where where Priti Patel is still a minister.

Somewhat lesser offence I think and subject to court case.

This is quite extraordinary. Don't like your PM asking difficult questions in parliament, post far right videos in reaction.

One MP deletes her whole account. Dorries is toast.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I like your views a lot on here BUT

I like you better when you were ''sticking the boot in'' -

I don't cut him any slack in this - Yes this has been a difficult time and is totally unprecedented - But he put himself up for the job.

He wants the parts of the job which tickle his ears with the popping out for photo shoots on a high wire and and having tea at the Women's Guild and having flag waving Brexiteers cheering his name.

He always has this opinion that when you are at the Top you can delegate all the shit jobs to those around him and below him.

The scenario he finds himself in he has to live and die by his decisions and he has to be seen out there leading the Nation and making difficult decisions. And he doesn't have the actual intelligence for all of that. He is floundering and he isn't totally responsible for foundering to the degree that he is. But more people have died than should have died to date.

As like any Virus it will take the lives of many - How many is in part down to his decision making then and now. We all know that the Economy has to be restarted. That has been drummed into all of us but he is rushing things because he wants to be popular again with some people. And he will be popular with the member of the Public who are desperate to get out of the Lockdown. Probably the same ones who were still going to the pub right up to the very last minute before the Lockdown.

He will be less popular with the people who sadly lost a friend or relative in the last few months or in the future. I am desperate to get out again but not at any cost.

And, having put himself up for the big job, he has then delegated the big decisions to people like Dominic Cummings, who is treating the entire country as an enormous laboratory in which to run experiments on live citizens to find out if any of the mad theories he's skim-read about will actually work. If there is a grand plan, Johnson needs to come out and explain it and own it. As it is, it looks as though the detail is being made up as it goes along.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The London one is closing tomorrow although it is being put into hibernation.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/london-nhs-nightingale-hospital-placed-on-standby

There you go ease the Lockdown where you anticipate a spike in Covid Cases and in the same breath close these Centres.

At least it is being kept on standby but for now, but why cant it be used for half way care. Or even get them ready as Test Centres for the so called increase in testing which will be needed.

They could be set up almost like a General Election Polling office where we all go get tested over say a 2 week period. Forward Planning doesn't seem to be a strong point of this Administration.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Be amazed if Nadine Dorries is on her job as a cabinet minister by at the end of today.

This is a party with no moral compass, if she does have to step down (be surprised if it does happen) she'll be back, you only have to look at the likes of Patel and Williamson

Dorries is a hopeless political I recall back in 2017 a leaked What's AP message demonstrating her lack of know of the EU Customs Union

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thats quite strong

However, I do concede that there should have been then - And there isnothing to stop it being created now. Some sort of '' half way house '' We have these Nightingale Hospitals now - Sections of these should be set aside as a ''care in the community'' type set up.

I don't know if we have the numbers to staff them but we should be preparing for it just in case there is a second spike after this release from lockdown

Thought pretty the same meself. Tho to be fair any half-bright citizen applying a modicum of common sense would probably think likewise.

Our elected representatives are failing us on an unprecedented scale

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Somewhat lesser offence I think and subject to court case.

This is quite extraordinary. Don't like your PM asking difficult questions in parliament, post far right videos in reaction.

One MP deletes her whole account. Dorries is toast.

Posted far right DOCTORED videos in reaction.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I like your views a lot on here BUT

I like you better when you were ''sticking the boot in'' -

I don't cut him any slack in this - Yes this has been a difficult time and is totally unprecedented - But he put himself up for the job.

He wants the parts of the job which tickle his ears with the popping out for photo shoots on a high wire and and having tea at the Women's Guild and having flag waving Brexiteers cheering his name.

He always has this opinion that when you are at the Top you can delegate all the shit jobs to those around him and below him.

The scenario he finds himself in he has to live and die by his decisions and he has to be seen out there leading the Nation and making difficult decisions. And he doesn't have the actual intelligence for all of that. He is floundering and he isn't totally responsible for foundering to the degree that he is. But more people have died than should have died to date.

As like any Virus it will take the lives of many - How many is in part down to his decision making then and now. We all know that the Economy has to be restarted. That has been drummed into all of us but he is rushing things because he wants to be popular again with some people. And he will be popular with the member of the Public who are desperate to get out of the Lockdown. Probably the same ones who were still going to the pub right up to the very last minute before the Lockdown.

He will be less popular with the people who sadly lost a friend or relative in the last few months or in the future. I am desperate to get out again but not at any cost.

Don't disagree with what you are saying.
He is the worst possible leader at the worst possible time.

The point I am making is that the herd immunity approach might turn out to be the right call (economically).
It is fairly obvious that is what is driving the deliberate double-speak and lessening of the rules, whilst there are still over 3k new cases daily.

What I want to see is a leader that nails his/her colours to the mast and says clearly what the strategy is.
Jacinda Ardern has done this excellently and is prepared to stand by her decisions.

She may end up proven to be wrong, if NZ stays permanently on alert for draconian lockdowns every time Corona starts reappearing.
But she will be taking full responsibility that her office commands.

Personally i think the lockdown should be getting stricter rather than loosening.
But welfare of the population would always be top priority to me..

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't disagree with what you are saying.
He is the worst possible leader at the worst possible time.

The point I am making is that the herd immunity approach might turn out to be the right call (economically).
It is fairly obvious that is what is driving the deliberate double-speak and lessening of the rules, whilst there are still over 3k new cases daily.

What I want to see is a leader that nails his/her colours to the mast and says clearly what the strategy is.
Jacinda Ardern has done this excellently and is prepared to stand by her decisions.

She may end up proven to be wrong, if NZ stays permanently on alert for draconian lockdowns every time Corona starts reappearing.
But she will be taking full responsibility that her office commands.

Personally i think the lockdown should be getting stricter rather than loosening.
But welfare of the population would always be top priority to me..

Not exactly comparing like for like. Running an island country with a sparse population is a different ball game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not exactly comparing like for like. Running an island country with a sparse population is a different ball game.

So you don't think she would make a better PM in the UK than Boris?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wonder if Boris feels about being PM, the same as many Albion fans do about being in the Premier League.

The rise is exhilarating and everything which we dreamed of.

The reality is being constantly battered by incredibly long hard work, skilful opponents and constant criticism.

I wonder if he doesn't really fancy this at the moment. He looks like someone who dreamed it would be easy, circumstances have changed and he's having to do the hard yards he's never had to do in his life.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I wonder if Boris feels about being PM, the same as many Albion fans do about being in the Premier League.

The reality is being constantly battered by incredibly long hard work, skilful opponents and constant criticism.

I wonder if he doesn't really fancy this at the moment. He looks like someone who dreamed it would be easy, circumstances have changed and he's having to do the hard yards he's never had to do in his life.

I think almost dying from an awful virus won't have helped. Who are these 'skillful opponents' of which you speak?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

No, but her leadership style is exactly what is required in a crisis.
She has been clear in her communications on what is happening and why.
If people choose to ignore her (they haven't) then it's on them.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
John Crace's political sketches for the Guardian tend to SKEWER the subject matter nowadays. Easy pickings tho eh in a sea of mediocrity

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-bluster-under-keir-starmer-cross-examination

Crace must think he's died and gone to heaven. He captures the cornered Johnson brilliantly. Almost the only good things happening in the country right now are Starmer's rapier thrusts puncturing Johnson's ego and John Crace then analysing it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

..............and without the colossal increase in salary that normally goes with such a promotion. He'll be getting far less now than when he was doing HIGNFY occasionally and writing columns in the Telegraph.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No, but her leadership style is exactly what is required in a crisis.
She has been clear in her communications on what is happening and why.
If people choose to ignore her (they haven't) then it's on them.

Indeed, she's done a great job.

Horses for courses, not sure that approach would have worked in the UK scenario.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Starmer really scares them.

They desperately need some mud to stick.

The Tories have done rather well by never underestimating the capacity of the UK public to believe any old shite they feed to their mates in the press.

Exhibit A: Public perception of Corbyn 2017 vs 2019

They will try and do the same again with Starmer in the time they have until the next general election.

But it will be harder. Even though Starmer has essentially adopted the same 'extremist/radical' policy agenda as Corbyn developed he has nicer hair, so people will be less inclined to believe the smears.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sorry but disagree and sums up our politics and media. I am no BJ fan but think they have and are doing there best in very unusual circumstances. Coronavirus is not political and should not be treated as such. All politicians and media just want to score points. BJ criticised for not trying to come out of lockdown and same when he does. He is In a no win situation

"They're doing their best." is what you say to defend an under 9's football team on a Sunday morning, not a sitting Government.

Besides, if this is 'there [sic] best' then they're frankly not up to the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here