Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Starmer's not even moved out of first gear yet. This is a guy that was DPP after all. On a human level, I do feel for Boris. He's just come back into a hugely pressurised job off the back of a hugely debilitating illness. But on a professional level, he's clearly been promoted to the level of his incompetence. Would not be in the least surprised if he stepped down sometime soon with the reason given as 'health grounds'. Which would at least be a valid part of the reason

You have a gentler heart than I

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Totally agree, I always come out left of centre on the Political Compass but would never vote for Labour or any other left of centre party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Could you explain why?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Interesting to see how elements of the Tory press are drifting away from Johnson, and following that performance openly praising Starmer. Boris has made a lot of enemies who were willing to swallow their pride for electoral success. As his halo starts to slip there's more than one journalist ready to help ambitious mps stab hm in the back

Sadly though, the execrable Quentin Letts continues to shred The Times's reputation for cool dispassion. Jesus only knows why they signed him from the Mail - he should have gone to the Express, or become Farage's speechwriter.

I turned to his column this morning, keen to discover how he reported Johnson's defrocking by Starmer. Apparently, Johnson just wafted him away.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Twice. And had a seismic impact. And had Raab on the back foot equally impressively while Boris was recuperating

That was almost inhumane. The intellectual equivalent of putting Mike Tyson and Charles Hawtrey in a boxing ring

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Totally agree, I always come out left of centre on the Political Compass but would never vote for Labour or any other left of centre party.

So you would never vote for any party that agrees with the views of someone like you :facepalm:

How many times exactly has Starmer grilled the PM at PMQ’s

I would suggest more than enough times for Johnson :lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think an ex-human rights barrister who experienced using free school meals and food banks when growing up is a strength to the Labour Party. Seems quite shallow to dismiss her because you think she has a 'smug grin' and believe an unproven allegation, but, each to their own.

Shallow I be then.

tenor (2).gif

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would cut Boris a bit of slack right now.., the poor so and so almost died a few weeks back and having the virus that bad can leave you weakened , they say... Also, the figures on Covid have not gone well. Who should we blame? Politicians know squat about medicine, they follow the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and the faceless SAGE committee.
It is them who have let us down, if we were to play a blame game. Although finger pointing is a pretty useless thing to do.

Maybe not but that is whataboutery isn't it?

Ultimately the Government are there to lead the country through good times and bad.
That is the job. Every government are measured on their performance It doesn't matter a jot what the opposition would have done.

I've just shown the record for 23rd January in Parliament where the opposition was questioning the government about the virus.

I also posted an Argus article earlier in the thread from 14th February of doctors isolating themselves in Brighton due to contact with someone who caught the virus on a skiing holiday.

Johnson became ill on 2nd April. It's fine being sympathetic to someone to has been ill, but take into account the weeks before when he was still completely 'in control'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I obviously knew it was twice, hardly “these days” though is it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It might only be twice, but according to HKFC The Telegraph seem comfortable to go with the:-

'Every time'

Perspective.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So are you saying The Political Compass is the true bench mark that measures the direction one should base there voting intention on?

Not at all. As I said a couple of pages back

How very quaint and 20th century.

I don't know where you've been the last few years, but a good three word slogan is all that is required in 21st Century.

Policies would simply confuse the segment of the electorate that needs targeting.

Probably easier still, simply check what colour rosette or scarf you're wearing :shrug:

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Hello Mr Turkey, I'm form the Christmas party, it's good to know I can count on your vote.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think he is being cut quite a bit of slack (if you ignore most of the press squealing which has become white noise now it's so repetitive). He doesn't have Starmer properly going after him yet and his own party aren't going to do so either. This will happen after we emerge from the pandemic and the inquests/recriminations start though. I've personally got a fair bit of sympathy with him for the reasons you state - not sure who would have handled things any better, and it's pointless speculating really - can only deal with the actuality. Mistakes have clearly been made but anyone would have made them, or others which might or might not have been worse. I do think, though, he's looking increasingly fragile - again, this situation would drain anyone, let alone someone who was in ITU a couple of weeks ago.

His job hasn't allowed him to rest and recover fully.
Its a pig of a situation at present. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The easiest thing to do is to criticise and pick holes in everything. Every country around the world is dealing with an unknown enemy. It hasn't stopped many using it as a political platform and point scoring exercise. Even the biggest threat on the planet for decades hasn't stopped the jaundiced, inflexible and dyed in the wool types from ripping apart any decision making and keep demanding a plan when you are in a situation with no real timelines or framework. Just as in war time, mistakes are made, sometimes very costly but all through policy must concentrate on the bigger picture.
Covid 19 has proved that a society can divide for many different reasons. There hasn't been total unity over lockdown. There are many who have been resentful of isolation and loss of liberty and have tried to flout guidelines at every opportunity. I was told of a care home worker who visits and receives visits from friends, family and acquaintances on a regular basis and has done so for some weeks. In a large town near me, police have been telling groups of people to go home every day. They weren't out shopping or exercising. They were gathering, drinking and not trying to self-distance. This is multiplied all over the country.
Is it any surprise that the two biggest international hubs, the USA and the UK have been the hardest hit. We can all argue that lockdown could possibly have been started earlier, some events should have been stopped earlier, more PPE could have been sourced earlier, track and trace should have been maintained and flights from Covid hotspots stopped well before they were and more emphasis given to care homes. Thats all history now, as is where this all started, how it started, how it spread and how much early information was or wasn't given.
( p.s Starmer has a very easy job compared to Boris at the moment. Judge him, when some sort of normality returns and the usual domestic/international affairs are on the agenda and we are in the throes of a massive recession. )

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aside from that smug grin, I think damage was caused to her spotless image over the 'stupid constituents' ALLEGATION.

Thornberry's political future was doomed the moment she tweeted a sneer at Rochester White Van Man and his patriotic flags. Right wing press would never have let up on that one

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really excellent analogy, from the Telegraph of all places;

It’s always the toughest stage of The Apprentice: the interviews round. A slick-haired young telemarketer in a shiny suit will swagger in, and start bragging about the foolproof business idea he’s had – only for the interviewer to take him apart like a Duplo train set.

In no time, the candidate has dissolved into a puddle of babbling neurosis, unable to give a convincing answer to any question, up to and including the spelling of his own name.

This is what it’s like, these days, watching Sir Keir Starmer grill Boris Johnson at PMQs. Labour’s new leader is calm, polite, and utterly merciless.

Like Sir Alan Sugar after a successful gobshite bypass operation :lolol:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sadly though, the execrable Quentin Letts continues to shred The Times's reputation for cool dispassion. Jesus only knows why they signed him from the Mail - he should have gone to the Express, or become Farage's speechwriter.

I turned to his column this morning, keen to discover how he reported Johnson's defrocking by Starmer. Apparently, Johnson just wafted him away.

Quentin Letts is a bad joke. He complains loudly about bbc bias yet is the Tory Comical Ali

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thornberry's political future was doomed the moment she tweeted a sneer at Rochester White Van Man and his patriotic flags. Right wing press would never have let up on that one

A few weeks ago was the 10 year anniversary of Gordon Brown calling the bigoted old northern woman bigot, a bigot!

Happy dayz.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His job hasn't allowed him to rest and recover fully.
Its a pig of a situation at present. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The easiest thing to do is to criticise and pick holes in everything. Every country around the world is dealing with an unknown enemy. It hasn't stopped many using it as a political platform and point scoring exercise. Even the biggest threat on the planet for decades hasn't stopped the jaundiced, inflexible and dyed in the wool types from ripping apart any decision making and keep demanding a plan when you are in a situation with no real timelines or framework. Just as in war time, mistakes are made, sometimes very costly but all through policy must concentrate on the bigger picture.
Covid 19 has proved that a society can divide for many different reasons. There hasn't been total unity over lockdown. There are many who have been resentful of isolation and loss of liberty and have tried to flout guidelines at every opportunity. I was told of a care home worker who visits and receives visits from friends, family and acquaintances on a regular basis and has done so for some weeks. In a large town near me, police have been telling groups of people to go home every day. They weren't out shopping or exercising. They were gathering, drinking and not trying to self-distance. This is multiplied all over the country.
Is it any surprise that the two biggest international hubs, the USA and the UK have been the hardest hit. We can all argue that lockdown could possibly have been started earlier, some events should have been stopped earlier, more PPE could have been sourced earlier, track and trace should have been maintained and flights from Covid hotspots stopped well before they were and more emphasis given to care homes. Thats all history now, as is where this all started, how it started, how it spread and how much early information was or wasn't given.
( p.s Starmer has a very easy job compared to Boris at the moment. Judge him, when some sort of normality returns and the usual domestic/international affairs are on the agenda and we are in the throes of a massive recession. )

No. Forget about the chippy idiots like Peston during the early daily briefings doing the 'easiest thing'. Nobody took any notice of them. I saw no 'ripping apart'. Maybe you spent too much time gawping at Marxist websites and getting outraged. Boris was cut a massive lot of slack for a long time.

I'd say it has completely gone the other way now owing to a widespread recognition that the daily mishandling, soppy sloganeering, and now a premature easing without planning, is potentially putting people at avoidable risk. And of course people are looking back at what went before with a less favourable eye now.

But don't worry, if the numbers are tumbling in four weeks and life is getting back to normal then despite hardship and deaths now, Boris and his team will have proven they judged it right........

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here