Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From reading various alt right twitter accounts since PMQs it seems the method of attack on Starmer will be the accusation that he failed to prosecute either Saville, or the Asian rape gangs at the earliest opportunity.

I would have thought the Saville line would be risky for his accusers as it was under Thatchers Government he was knighted, and one of the lawyers representing the victims of the rape gangs has said Starmer was an absolute diamond.
It will be interesting if the MSM take up this line of attack.
The other option for them seems to be, “ How can a rich lawyer represent the ordinary working man?”
It seems that they don’t realise his father was a tool maker, and his mother a nurse.

The police did interview Savile in 2009, but not enough witnesses were willing to come forward, so without evidence it was difficult to charge. Yes, he was DPP, but it wasn’t his decision alone.

He appointed Nazir Afzal as Chief Crown Prosector in the North West who successfully prosecuted rape gangs, so that ‘accusation’, is tenuous, to say the least.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This is true. I've mentioned this before but it's now highly relevant - Johnson is deeply disliked by his fellow MPs (I've heard this from too many sources). When the going gets tough and he looks to his friends for support ... he won't find many

There was a quote from someone in the Tory Party that Johnson is very popular - except with those who have ever worked with him. I can believe he’ll not many friends.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Interesting to read of possible murmurings about Boris from his own side. I forget who said it but the saying 'the opposition are in front of you but the real enemy are behind' seems apt.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I would cut Boris a bit of slack right now.., the poor so and so almost died a few weeks back and having the virus that bad can leave you weakened , they say... Also, the figures on Covid have not gone well. Who should we blame? Politicians know squat about medicine, they follow the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and the faceless SAGE committee.
It is them who have let us down, if we were to play a blame game. Although finger pointing is a pretty useless thing to do.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
3 months ago, I'd say that was bang on the money. I'm not so sure now. I think the public will forgive the inept start to the pandemic - even with the benefit of Italy being 2 weeks ahead of Corona - but I don't think they will if the economy recovery is put ahead of lives in the next few weeks and this backfires. Boris is in the middle of his most important political period and I think he is getting it wrong albeit I'll happily admit I'm wrong (for the record I voted for neither Corbyn or Boris but if i had to vote for either last time round it would have been Boris even though I am on the left side of centre)

Brexit will be forgotten at the next General election. Its almost forgotten now. Funny how things can move so quickly.
Couldn't you tactically vote?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For delivering Brexit. Remainers will always under estimate what that meant for those that voted for it, and I believe that Brexit vote will hold very strong for Boris. It was totally under estimated at the last election and will be again.
Nothings been delivered yet.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Couldn't you tactically vote?

I live in the safest of safe Tory seats so it really does not matter how I vote but there was no one I could stomach putting an x next to either of the candidates who had those clowns in charge.

Starmer, though, looks like a politician I could vote for.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also, the figures on Covid have not gone well. Who should we blame? Politicians know squat about medicine, they follow the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and the faceless SAGE committee.
It is them who have let us down, if we were to play a blame game. Although finger pointing is a pretty useless thing to do.

Other countries are folllowing medical expert advice too and are reporting fewer deaths. As HWT pointed out earlier, the government shouldn't be allowed to use this an excuse.

First of all, they pick the advisers themselves; second, it depends, as Harry WT explained, on the questions that are asked. Are they asking what's the way to avoid most deaths or what causes the least amount of financial loss - you're probably not going to get the same answer to those questions (and everything is shrouded in secrecy, what don't know what was discussed). Third; we know that Cummings and another adviser sat in on a SAGE meeting and, far from acting as an observer, participated in the discussions (again, we don't know what was discussed and what he said).

Finally, how do we know that all medical advice is being followed. After all, the medical advice following Project Cygnus was that the UK was ill-prepared for a pandemic and should stock up on PPE - the government ignored that advice. WHO advised that all efforts should be put into testing - the government ignored that advice too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nothings been delivered yet.

Exactly, the only thing he has delivered is a vote to "Get Brexit Done". They haven't actually done it yet, and it's already beginning to unravel with the recent acknowledgement that there WILL be checks in the Irish sea despite Johnson insisting that would never happen over his dead body or some similar lie.

I don't doubt he will do it, it's just that the Brexit he delivers will be even worse than Theresa May's Brexit and will make us even more poor, just when we need all the help we can get.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Years ago I was possibly going to have to do expert witness Court Work in the field I was working in (Asbestos) so was sent on an Expert Witness Course. This went swimmingly until we had a session with a Barrister who tied me in Knots even though I had nearly 20 years experience. He picked apart my case and made me look like I knew nothing about it and he knew everything. When the session was over he smiled at me and said You do know I will have forgotten everything about Asbestos by the time I have Supper? Big Brains, not sure about their motivation or morality?

An experienced barrister will know every trick that experts use to push their cases, and how best to tie them in knots - (s)he won't care about looking like they know everything, just undermining the expert in front of the court. It might feel uncomfortable, but the motivation and morality, in a criminal context anyway, is usually making sure that everyone (the Crown included) has fair representation. There's not a lot of money to be made in criminal law these days - read The Secret Barrister's account if you want to know what it's really like.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What are his policies?

No idea yet obviously but on the assumption it is somewhere between the "Everything for free or half price" dreamt up in the student Common room or "Get Brexit done, look after me rich mates" that would probably be good enough. We will see in time.

The fact Mcdonnell, Abbott and - by and large - the other cranks have been put back in the long grass is a promising start.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No idea yet obviously but on the assumption it is somewhere between the "Everything for free or half price" dreamt up in the student Common room or "Get Brexit done, look after me rich mates" that would probably be good enough. We will see in time.

The fact Mcdonnell, Abbott and - by and large - the other cranks have been put back in the long grass is a promising start.

Fair enough, but the likes of Long Bailey and Thornberry still loiter.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Fair enough, but the likes of Long Bailey and Thornberry still loiter.

Hence the by and large comment. That said, I think any cabinet needs a cross section to generate discussion. The moderating influence of the lib dems in the Cameron government for example produced one of the better governments in recent times.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hence the by and large comment. That said, I think any cabinet needs a cross section to generate discussion. The moderating influence of the lib dems in the Cameron government for example produced one of the better governments in recent times.

Genuine question.

How strong do you think the influence and thoughts of Momentum will be when the manifesto pops up?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The duel between the lawyer and the showman is especially telling when the showman has to play in a empty stadium.

Johnson was absolutely skewered by Starmer for a second week running, there is nowhere is run to.

That's said a significant section of the population has so heavily invested in the serial liar it may take a while for the needle to really move

Its a 154 days since the UK GE, if Corbyn's incompetence had been this scale of Johnson's the right wing press would be calling for his resignation

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The duel between the lawyer and the showman is especially telling when the showman has to play in a empty stadium.

Johnson was absolutely skewered by Starmer for a second week running, there is nowhere is run to.

That's said a significant section of the population has so heavily invested in the serial liar it may take a while for the needle to really move

Its a 154 days since the UK GE, if Corbyn's incompetence had been this scale of Johnson's the right wing press would be calling for his resignation

Starmer has shown his experience in calm questioning techniques.

His ability to deliver feasible, credible and affordable policies is awaited with bated breath. I'm sure that, whatever they might be, they will be announced with a cool and precise delivery.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Genuine question.

How strong do you think the influence and thoughts of Momentum will be when the manifesto pops up?

That's the great unknown. I'm hoping it's minimal but the damage JC did to the party could have lasting consequences. The early signs have been promising but there is plenty of time to shoot themselves in the foot.

I suspect Corona may change the emphasis depending on the direction it all goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here