Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Watching today it strikes me what Boris Johnson really needs on his side is a well-respected QC on his side. Anyone know what happened to Dominic Grieve or Ken Clarke?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think what these recent Parliament Debates has shown is what a farce the House of Commons is.

Under normal circumstances after a one line flippant response by Johnson to a very serious question he sits back down.

His one line response had addressed nothing; however, had the House been full. He would have got away with it because there would have been loads of whooping and cheering and he could have hidden himself behind that whooping and cheering..

The empty House allows for questions to be asked seriously without such questions and answers being mocked and ridiculed.

Commons should be learning from this and I think it should be totally overhauled.

Members should run the risk of being sent out of the House for shouting down speakers. It will allow us to then hold them accountable.

This will not happen and it will go back to a Barbarian Brawl.

I am no Johnson fan but he will fair better against Starmer when the Barbaric Rabble resumes. He can go back to little one liners and run away . A bit like Gorilla Warfare.

He isn't in the same League as Starmer but his weaknesses will be less exposed in a Fuller House of Commons

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watching today it strikes me what Boris Johnson really needs on his side is a well-respected QC on his side. Anyone know what happened to Dominic Grieve or Ken Clarke?

Johnson doesn't care about knowing the law. The Speaker warned him last week that broadcasting to the nation on Sunday was against Parliamentary procedure but he went ahead. It breaks the ministerial code. He is not a president as much as he likes to think he is. Dominic Cummings is still in contempt of Parliament and refuses to answer to committee.
The arrogance will be their downfall as other Tory MPs are starting to turn against him.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think what these recent Parliament Debates has shown is what a farce the House of Commons is.

Under normal circumstances after a one line flippant response by Johnson to a very serious question he sits back down.

His one line response had addressed nothing; however, had the House been full. He would have got away with it because there would have been loads of whooping and cheering and he could have hidden himself behind that whooping and cheering..

The empty House allows for questions to be asked seriously without such questions and answers being mocked and ridiculed.

Commons should be learning from this and I think it should be totally overhauled.

Members should run the risk of being sent out of the House for shouting down speakers. It will allow us to then hold them accountable.

I am no Johnson fan but he will fair better against Starmer when the Barbaric Rabble resumes. He can go back to little one liners and run away . A bit like Gorilla Warfare.

He isn't in the same League as Starmer but his weaknesses will be less exposed in a Fuller House of Commons

convert the houses of parliament into a hotel and build a circular building in the midlands somewhere, it might help

oh, and guerrilla (soz)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
For delivering Brexit. Remainers will always under estimate what that meant for those that voted for it, and I believe that Brexit vote will hold very strong for Boris. It was totally under estimated at the last election and will be again.

3 months ago, I'd say that was bang on the money. I'm not so sure now. I think the public will forgive the inept start to the pandemic - even with the benefit of Italy being 2 weeks ahead of Corona - but I don't think they will if the economy recovery is put ahead of lives in the next few weeks and this backfires. Boris is in the middle of his most important political period and I think he is getting it wrong albeit I'll happily admit I'm wrong (for the record I voted for neither Corbyn or Boris but if i had to vote for either last time round it would have been Boris even though I am on the left side of centre)

Brexit will be forgotten at the next General election. Its almost forgotten now. Funny how things can move so quickly.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm a bit late to the party in this thread and CBA to read the whole thing.

I'm not convinced PMQs makes that much difference. Most people don't watch it, all they see is the clips and soundbytes.

William Hague used to regularly trounce Blair at PMQs but it got him nowhere near at the ballot box.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

current PMQ is similar to the normal parliamentry business, regular PMQ is a lot of grandstanding.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
It is pretty easy to win a PMQ at the moment driving from the backseat. You can criticise for coming out of lockdown too soon or too late. Either way a recession is coming you can blame on the Gov or a death toll. For me I will judge him on how well he reigns in his party they have started to get a bit gobby despite his directions to them. Constant derision and undermining of messages meant to get us through this will wear thin in the end.

Sending people back to work will mean more will die. Restarting the Premier League will mean more people will die. These are not easy decisions to make and some are implying it is easy.

Not one party represents me now. Used to think it was Liberal but I would die in a fire rather than vote for one of them again.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Interesting to see how elements of the Tory press are drifting away from Johnson, and following that performance openly praising Starmer. Boris has made a lot of enemies who were willing to swallow their pride for electoral success. As his halo starts to slip there's more than one journalist ready to help ambitious mps stab hm in the back

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Interesting to see how elements of the Tory press are drifting away from Johnson, and following that performance openly praising Starmer. Boris has made a lot of enemies who were willing to swallow their pride for electoral success. As his halo starts to slip there's more than one journalist ready to help ambitious mps stab hm in the back

While true nobody is going to stab anyone in the back till it looks like this is over or they would have to take over.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This is true. I've mentioned this before but it's now highly relevant - Johnson is deeply disliked by his fellow MPs (I've heard this from too many sources). When the going gets tough and he looks to his friends for support ... he won't find many

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm certain, the enquiry will be completed in a timely manner and the government will certainly look to make sure it's published before the next election so the country can marvel at their record.

Yes, and it will have such a wide remit, with specific instructions to focus in on:
-- the funding of relevant public services (NHS and, especially, social care) for the preceding decade
-- the level of emergency preparedness for something flagged up with a 2% likelihood of occurring on an annual basis
-- the speed with which the government responded to developments in Asia in Jan/Feb, and the advice from WHO during this period

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Never read so much rubbish on NSC. This is an unprecedented situation that nobody has had to deal with before and hopefully never again. Whatever government was in power would on reflection done somethings different. Even as a labour voter would prefer to see politicians try to help situation rather then score points. Those in still secure jobs think lock down should be still enforced and those whose job is in danger want it to be eased. Same with football so many think it should return and just as many think it is mad. My nephew for example will be fuming if football restarts as he has cancelled wedding. I repeat no win situation and will be criticised whatever they do.

This thread isn't about criticism of what they've done. It's about BoJo the Clown telling an immediately disprovable (by No.10 even) lie. As with many of these things, it's not the mistake that gets you, but the cover up. If he had just said something like 'not sure what you are quoting from, let's have a look', fine. But to say that the guidance did not say what it patently did say is just a ridiculous thing to do.

Yes, Johnson should have apologised. Sending a letter and doubling down on the lie must be music to Starmer's ears.

(As legal commentator David Allen Green said of the exchange: "When asked by a lawyer why you said a specific thing in a specific document on a specific date, do not pretend you did not. That the question contains the specifics gives away that you did")

Yet instead of admitting his mistake, he sends a letter denying the evidence.

As Danny the drug dealer would say "Very, very foolish words, man"

Precisely.

Agree with your comments re top barristers.
Several years ago, in the course of our business, we had occasion to employ a barrister to represent us. I had never before even met a barrister and was just astounded how quickly he took on board all the relevant information without getting out of first gear, so to speak.
Wow, so impressive.
He was a mere Q.C.at the time(I obviously say that in jest!). He is now a High Court Judge and ,of course, a Sir!
Oh to be so bloody clever!:rolleyes:

Not long ago I spent a solid six months putting together a 80+ page report of carefully crafted argument, with 1000+ pages of relevant appendices backing it all up. The Barrister flicked through it like you used to with those books with pictures on the corner that made a movie - turned to me, and explained to me what my argument was, where it could have been stronger, and how we could defend it in the forthcoming Judicial Review. Amazing.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This thread isn't about criticism of what they've done. It's about BoJo the Clown telling an immediately disprovable (by No.10 even) lie. As with many of these things, it's not the mistake that gets you, but the cover up. If he had just said something like 'not sure what you are quoting from, let's have a look', fine. But to say that the guidance did not say what it patently did say is just a ridiculous thing to do.

Precisely.

Not long ago I spent a solid six months putting together a 80+ page report of carefully crafted argument, with 1000+ pages of relevant appendices backing it all up. The Barrister flicked through it like you used to with those books with pictures on the corner that made a movie - turned to me, and explained to me what my argument was, where it could have been stronger, and how we could defend it in the forthcoming Judicial Review. Amazing.

Years ago I was possibly going to have to do expert witness Court Work in the field I was working in (Asbestos) so was sent on an Expert Witness Course. This went swimmingly until we had a session with a Barrister who tied me in Knots even though I had nearly 20 years experience. He picked apart my case and made me look like I knew nothing about it and he knew everything. When the session was over he smiled at me and said You do know I will have forgotten everything about Asbestos by the time I have Supper? Big Brains, not sure about their motivation or morality?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Precisely.

When I did jury service, the CPS Barrister - who I think was fairly new - completely and utterly dismantled the defendant, his witnesses and his barrister over the course of the two weeks. It was fascinating, and mightily impressive, to watch him deconstruct the defence piece by piece - often picking up on the tiniest detail and bringing it up several days later to prove a point. Poor defendant never stood a chance.

I did, however, once work with a former barrister who was in a compliance role. He was utterly useless.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Precisely.

There are just as many incompetent ones.

Your example is an interesting one though.

I would have had concerns that someone could flip through a lengthy document like that and be able to take everything in so quickly and not potentially overlook any fine technical points.

I don't say he couldn't because some people just can skim read things and form good judgement.

I often have to read and assess and appraise Legal contracts and documents but I am quite slow at digesting the information.

My eventual appraisal is usually thorough if I take my time. So much so that my Boss often asks. "Why did you spend so much time on that contract" ?

To which I respond "Do you want it done right or do you want it done quick - you can't have both " !

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
From reading various alt right twitter accounts since PMQs it seems the method of attack on Starmer will be the accusation that he failed to prosecute either Saville, or the Asian rape gangs at the earliest opportunity.

I would have thought the Saville line would be risky for his accusers as it was under Thatchers Government he was knighted, and one of the lawyers representing the victims of the rape gangs has said Starmer was an absolute diamond.
It will be interesting if the MSM take up this line of attack.
The other option for them seems to be, “ How can a rich lawyer represent the ordinary working man?”
It seems that they don’t realise his father was a tool maker, and his mother a nurse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here