Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PMQ - Boris v Starmer - Spider And The Fly

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No way on earth Johnson will be the Tory candidate come the next General Election. 2-3 or so years of being skewered weekly will do for him imo.

I think you are totally under estimating the Brexit factor. Over 50% of the population are very grateful to Boris and the Tories for finally doing what they voted for. That credit will last a long long time yet, regardless of your view of how this has been handled.

When it comes down to it, by the time of the next election, which is 4 years away, people will vote on who is best to drive the economy. I very much doubt they will vote for Labour to do that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you are totally under estimating the Brexit factor. Over 50% of the population are very grateful to Boris and the Tories for finally doing what they voted for. That credit will last a long long time yet, regardless of your view of how this has been handled.

When it comes down to it, by the time of the next election, which is 4 years away, people will vote on who is best to drive the economy. I very much doubt they will vote for Labour to do that.

The Tories will put the knife into Johnson themselves. He won't be the Prime Minister in 4 years time.

[tweet]1260257779304017923[/tweet]

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Lucky they weren't warned to prepare for a pandemic for years then. Lucky they didn't have a fair warning looking at Italy, Spain and China. Lucky Boris wasn't warned against human contact and decided he was going to shake hands regardless.

We are warned of a pandemic at regular intervals indeed. What would you be saying if we`d bought up all the PPE available and it was now out of date !!
It is your opinion that Starmer and co would have made a better job. What basis do you have for that opinion ? He certainly fills me with more confidence than Corbyn.
My opinion is, mistakes have been made and it is very unlikely that Starmer and co would have done much different.
The medical evidence/experts would have presumably been giving same advice.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It's only Mouldy Boots on another wind up, think Alf Garnett when you read any of his posts and you will be fine.

ah, a sort of self parody, second account, pish take thing you mean.

thanks for that, cos it had gone wahay over my head :thumbsup::lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'll put it this way - I'd be delighted if Johnson is put up as the candidate in 2024 after 4 years of being absolutely MAULED every week at PMQs by a man lightyears his superior.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are warned of a pandemic at regular intervals indeed. What would you be saying if we`d bought up all the PPE available and it was now out of date !!
It is your opinion that Starmer and co would have made a better job. What basis you have for that opinion ? He certainly fills me with more confidence than Corbyn.
My opinion is, mistakes have been made and it is very unlikely that Starmer and co would have done much different.
The medical evidence/experts would have presumably been giving same advice.

The WHO gave out warnings 31st January. Johnson went to Kent, and stayed there, not doing anything about the virus, nor visiting the flood areas. He hadn't long got back from the Caribbean.
He missed five COBRA meetings.
Added to that Operation Cygnus was totally ignored by the Tories previously, so Johnson can't take the sole blame, but it shows you where their mindset is.
The Home Office was talking about low skilled workers earning under £30K. A big majority of the healthcare workers and carers are in that 'low skilled' wage bracket.

Corbyn is gone, and not one that I had any confidence in, so let's wait and see how Starmer does, but as someone who worked in the CPS when he was DPP, I can tell you he is a very hard worker and doesn't go missing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
One of the few positives when I turn on the news now, is just how much the quality of debate in the commons has improved.

Tell you what, the Tories will be getting their baying mob back in there as soon as it's physically possible. If you think the football chairmen are keen to get back to normal, you watch how soon Tory central office will be arguing, what's needed at PMQ's is a rowdy, packed backbench to drown out the leader of the opposition, er I mean hold the government to account.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Never read so much rubbish on NSC. This is an unprecedented situation that nobody has had to deal with before and hopefully never again. Whatever government was in power would on reflection done somethings different. Even as a labour voter would prefer to see politicians try to help situation rather then score points. Those in still secure jobs think lock down should be still enforced and those whose job is in danger want it to be eased. Same with football so many think it should return and just as many think it is mad. My nephew for example will be fuming if football restarts as he has cancelled wedding. I repeat no win situation and will be criticised whatever they do.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They are being criticised by other science and medical experts on a daily basis. Where have you been ?

Science doesn't exist in vacuum. It's also very political, experts will always disagree but it's down to the government to:

1) Structure and manage the experts.

2) Recruit the best to the senior roles.

3) Take different opinions from other experts.

Clearly this Government (because of it's ideological stance) didn't want to lock the country down and take away "personal freedoms". It will always going to more attentive to scientific advice that suggested it didn't need to. But it wasn't the only advice out there.

Further more they have had to be pushed into:

1) Letting the rest of the scientific community know which skills (and personalities) are on the SAGE group.
2) Pissed off the SAGE group itself by redacting their criticisms of potential government policies. That's works both ways - the scientists may have been wrong, but they know we only get out of this through transparency and collaboration.

When it was forced to lock down, it was far too late. Because of those mistakes it's gonna us longer than other most countries (relatively) to get out of the mess.

The PPE shortages, the missing masks, the mismanagement of the stockpile, the failure to act on the recommendations of Exercise Cygnus are all down to this party that been in power for a very long time.

Wait for the inquiry, it's gonna be a shocker.

I'm certain, the enquiry will be completed in a timely manner and the government will certainly look to make sure it's published before the next election so the country can marvel at their record.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Could it be any easier for the opposition in a situation like this?
Boris is in a lose-lose scenario and Starmer, and every other critic in the world is in a win-win situation.
I expect to see the press turning on Starmer by 2022 and digging up some dirt on him.

Fortunately, people with common sense will take the whole picture in, and they will see the great work that Boris and his cabinet are doing and not just point fingers at every opportunity.

Starmer's not the sort to have too many skeletons in the closet I don't think. What we can expect to see I think is more of what Tory central office did to him before the last election. Produce and post some (not so) skilfully edited videos of him, to make it seem like he is saying thing's he's not at all.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
[TWEET]1260568290981810177[/TWEET]

Now the Prime Minister has been directly caught lying and is now doubling down on this, I wonder how the Telegraph, Express and Mail will treat this story on their front pages tomorrow?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
ah, a sort of self parody, second account, pish take thing you mean.

thanks for that, cos it had gone wahay over my head :thumbsup::lolol:

No problem, Mouldy Boots and a few others on here are the price we pay for free speech.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

if bungle johnson has got four whole years to apply himself to the economy, they won't vote tory either

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The WHO gave out warnings 31st January. Johnson went to Kent, and stayed there, not doing anything about the virus, nor visiting the flood areas. He hadn't long got back from the Caribbean.
He missed five COBRA meetings.
Added to that Operation Cygnus was totally ignored by the Tories previously, so Johnson can't take the sole blame, but it shows you where their mindset is.
The Home Office was talking about low skilled workers earning under £30K. A big majority of the healthcare workers and carers are in that 'low skilled' wage bracket.

Corbyn is gone, and not one that I had any confidence in, so let's wait and see how Starmer does, but as someone who worked in the CPS when he was DPP, I can tell you he is a very hard worker and doesn't go missing.

Got to say you must be one of the very few if you heeded WHO warning as early as 31st Jan. It was not till early March that I was aware of it as a serious threat. On the 7th my son got back from Peru via Madrid and we were a little concerned as it seemed to be starting in Spain after Italy.
As you say Corbyn has gone and Starmer has yet has to prove his capabilities but you know him better than me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here