Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] PMQ 03/06/20 [was 27/05/20] - Official Match Thread

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Boris has managed to emerge reasonably ok despite avoiding any answers and just bluster.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Labour are great here.....easy having a go about errors, but still non-committal on what they WOULD do. :facepalm:

Would you send kids back to skool?

To slightly amend a phrase from The Thick Of It, NOTFUP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Johnson now emphasising the need to keep reducing the R - rate although he seemed unable to recall what that current R-rate actually is.... One might think that this is a very important number and pivotal to the fight against the infection, not our Prime Minister though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If I was a lawyer I'd be very worried if I ever had to defend Johnson in court in the future for something given his preponderance to lose it so utterly when cross-examined.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think Boris has managed to emerge reasonably ok despite avoiding any answers and just bluster.

Typical day for that chancer. Happy to answer full questions from the sycophants behind him, but unable to answer the questions from across the dispatch box.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just the kind of 'strong and stable' leadership needed in the time of a national and global pandemic eh? :rolleyes:
I noticed Theresa May in attendance learning how to avoid questions in Johnson's Masterclass.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Eh?

Starmer: I sent him a letter, he hasn't replied.
Johnson: I called him and we discussed it at length.
Starmer: I'll put the letter into the public domain.

Starmer's response has nothing to do with his original claim that he had no response, and he didn't dispute that he'd been called.

Johnson said he called Starmer and 'told' him what they were going to do. That's not seeking Starmer's help

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Johnson said he called Starmer and 'told' him what they were going to do. That's not seeking Starmer's help

And, according to the Labour, the call was a call to all party leaders and not in response to Starmer's letter.

I see that Theresa May couldn't resist the opportunity to land a quick slap on Johnson

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Starmer really did not seem to bothered today, Johnson got off quite lightly. It put me in mind of all those times when Shearer got to take a penalty, it would not normally be clever, unique or fancy, he would just slot it home and do the job as expected.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Do you have the transcript of the conversation?

Why didn't Starmer come back on that point? He's not been shy in making corrections in previous PMQs - for the highly intelligent, articulate and experienced interrogator we know him to be, it was a tap-in wasn't it?

Instead the impartial observer would have heard:

Starmer: I wrote you a letter, you haven't replied.
Johnson: I called you and we discussed things.
Starmer: <somethng else>

Not that would be many impartial observers, of course, As I said either on this thread, or a similar one, most people watching this would have decided their winner before it even started. It serves very little purpose beyond those with polarised opinions to have them reinforced.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Typical day for almost every PMQ for every Prime Minister in memory. Happy to answer full questions from the sycophants behind him, but unable to answer the questions from across the dispatch box.

Fixed for you.

As above, these sessions are largely meaningless.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fixed for you.

A point of view that is much more comfortable for Johnson than Starmer.

PMQs, their reporting and other media events obviously play a significant role in the public perception of a Prime Minister.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do you have the transcript of the conversation?

Why didn't Starmer come back on that point? He's not been shy in making corrections in previous PMQs - for the highly intelligent, articulate and experienced interrogator we know him to be, it was a tap-in wasn't it?

Instead the impartial observer would have heard:

Starmer: I wrote you a letter, you haven't replied.
Johnson: I called you and we discussed things.
Starmer: <somethng else>

Not that would be many impartial observers, of course, As I said either on this thread, or a similar one, most people watching this would have decided their winner before it even started. It serves very little purpose beyond those with polarised opinions to have them reinforced.

Are impartial people deaf? I ask because I'm sure Johnson said he rang him and told him what they were doing. He didn't say I rang him and we discussed things. His exact words were 'I took the trouble to ring him up and we had a long conversation in which I briefed the Rt Hon gentleman on all the steps we were taking'.

Starmer's response is that he'll publish the letter and let people decide. I would respectfully suggest Starmer has allowed Johnson to dig a hole and then step in it!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm concerned that Starmer's endless pummelling of a fat weak stupid man might actually backfire after a while - I almost felt a sliver of sympathy for Johnson at points today.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Some suggestions on Twitter (I know) that the PM was wearing some kind of earpiece during PMQs.

https://twitter.com/Shadowkass/status/1268144037896368128?s=19

8ae298d9b69831667c9e9175aeeaf2ad.jpg

Not the first time that this has happened seemingly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fixed for you.

That's not always true though - Thatcher gave the impression that she'd welcome any questions and certainly didn't duck any questions from the other side of the House

And Blair had a quite formidable opponent in Hague but never seemed to shy away from any questions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here