Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbing / Washing Machine Tap Replacement Advice

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Jointing compound is better, but If you didn't want to spend money on a tub of it for just one fitting use PTFE.
Only use one wrap on the olive ( compression ring ) do not cover the thread in tape.
Yes do not over tighten the valve.

I would also buy a compression cap and remove the unused hot washing machine valve.

Would it not be easier to use a 3/4" cap over the valve rather than remove it?
cap.jpg

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Yes air lock if the plumber drained down the cold water tank.
He should have checked all the taps were running before disappearing with your money.

You're right - also, if he didn't drain down, worth checking the outlet valves, as he might of turned one off..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is what I don't get about people if you had called a plumber this morning job would be done by now hopefully properly. All this time wasting to save a few bob.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This is what I don't get about people if you had called a plumber this morning job would be done by now hopefully properly. All this time wasting to save a few bob.

All the plumbers are on football forums answering questions from DIY plumbers :moo:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Decided to go with push fit as reviews are favourable. Now the problem is which one. Have narrowed it down to two, Tectite or Conex Cuprofit.
Tectite is cheaper at £4.68 but is not removeable. But I also like the robust looking lever.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-sprint-washing-machine-valve-15mm-x/6678g
Conex Cuprofit is more expensive at just under £13 inc vat and delivery but is removeable.
https://www.bes.co.uk/cuprofit-push-fit-15-mm-x-3-4in-washing-machine-check-valve.

You are what we in the trade call a customer from hell.
Can't make mind up - don't listen to advice - penny pinching - and that's your good points :moo:

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Get the plumber back mate, especially if you paid him good money.
Is it reasonable to ask the plumber back to solve the issue when it was me who emptied the tank prior to his arrival?

Google has offered a "hosepipe method" which sounds tricky. There is also a more promising "draining the system method" - should I attempt this as a DIY job?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is it reasonable to ask the plumber back to solve the issue when it was me who emptied the tank prior to his arrival?

Google has offered a "hosepipe method" which sounds tricky. There is also a more promising "draining the system method" - should I attempt this as a DIY job?

Sorry I didn't realise you had helped him by emptying the tank.
Personally if I had done the job I would have checked all the taps were running before leaving your home.
It may be worth a quick call to your Plumber to see if he can help.

Where exactly on your tank was the washer he changed?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Decided to go with push fit as reviews are favourable. Now the problem is which one. Have narrowed it down to two, Tectite or Conex Cuprofit.
Tectite is cheaper at £4.68 but is not removeable. But I also like the robust looking lever.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tectite-sprint-washing-machine-valve-15mm-x/6678g
Conex Cuprofit is more expensive at just under £13 inc vat and delivery but is removeable.
https://www.bes.co.uk/cuprofit-push-fit-15-mm-x-3-4in-washing-machine-check-valve.

Posted at 3.06 AM, did you stay up all night worrying about a washing machine valve? :rolleyes:

Only you can now make a decision on which valve to buy.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Sorry I didn't realise you had helped him by emptying the tank.
Personally if I had done the job I would have checked all the taps were running before leaving your home.
It may be worth a quick call to your Plumber to see if he can help.

Where exactly on your tank was the washer he changed?
at the top where the water comes in at the level of the ball device. a fine spray of water was coming out.

draining down and gradually turning back on seems easy enough but will it definitely work?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here