Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbers - Advice

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Having just moved into a new house we want some work doing including installing a new shower, fix a leaking shower, putting up a screen, changing a radiator over, couple of new taps. We have called a couple of local plumbers who we spoke to and asked them to come round and give us a quote.

While I am at work the first has just come round hosted by the missus. Apparently he doesnt do tiling, or showers or a screen. Changing the taps we should do ourselves and the leaking shower is too fiddly for him to do. So he doesnt want to do anything and therefore wont give usa quote - then told the missus he wanted 50 quid for a call out fee. This was not mentioned by him in the phone call, when it was quite clearly stated we wanted a quote for lots of jobs.

She, quite understandably felt a tad intimidated and gave him a cheque. Are we within our rights to go and cancel it?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
I thought they only charged call out fees for emergencies etc not for estimates which is I assume what you were after. If he hasnt advertised the fact he charges for estimates then hes taking BIG liberties, cancel the cheque.

We had a new bathroom fitted in October and it was a bloody nightmare, the bloke didnt know what a fulls days work was (according to him its 10.30 am til 3pm, including and hour for lunch and fag and phone breaks) and spent most of his time up McDonalds or chatting on his phone. He tried to fit a broken bath and cover up his bodged tiling, I had to spend most of the time looking over his shoulder and checking everything, he was a complete tosser. A 7 day job took 3 weeks. If you can, use someone who has been reccomended rather than advertised, at least you half an idea they are up to the job.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Eastleigh Seagull said:
Having just moved into a new house we want some work doing including installing a new shower, fix a leaking shower, putting up a screen, changing a radiator over, couple of new taps. We have called a couple of local plumbers who we spoke to and asked them to come round and give us a quote.

While I am at work the first has just come round hosted by the missus. Apparently he doesnt do tiling, or showers or a screen. Changing the taps we should do ourselves and the leaking shower is too fiddly for him to do. So he doesnt want to do anything and therefore wont give usa quote - then told the missus he wanted 50 quid for a call out fee. This was not mentioned by him in the phone call, when it was quite clearly stated we wanted a quote for lots of jobs.

She, quite understandably felt a tad intimidated and gave him a cheque. Are we within our rights to go and cancel it?

Yes, cancel it. He cannot charge you a call out fee for a quote because you haven't called him out to do any work.
One good way of getting a good cheap plumber is to collar a British Gas worker and ask him if he does private work. Guaranteed qualified and carried out to BG standards but at a fraction of the price.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Sounds bloody out of order.
If he did any work, i.e fixed a leaky tap or something then he could justify it.
CANCEL THE CHEQUE!!

Then post his name on here so we don't make the same mistake.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is exactly the problem I am having. I called 3 plumbers and 2 of them did not bother to call back and another " lost my number " ( not your mate Dave before you get the hump again ! ).

I have to be quaified and regulated now to the extent that I will soon have to call the governing body to get permission to go to the toilet but these tradesmen can come along fleece you and bugger off with no qualifications or regulation. I just don't trust any of them at all.

I am sure there must be some good plumbers out there who genuinely want to give a good service at a fair price but I haven't met one yet.

Once again Steve Needham is a brilliant Sparky if anyone needs one who is bloody good and reasonablt priced.

But a good and honest plumber ???

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Spielberg said:
I have to be quaified and regulated now to the extent that I will soon have to call the governing body to get permission to go to the toilet but these tradesmen can come along fleece you and bugger off with no qualifications or regulation. I just don't trust any of them at all.

I am sure there must be some good plumbers out there who genuinely want to give a good service at a fair price but I haven't met one yet.

Plumbers and gas fitters are regulated. Gas fitters especially so. The problem is that the public don't ask to see credentials. You are perfectly entitled to ask a gas fitter if he is Corgi registered and has his ACS certification and a plumber whether he has the relevant City & Guilds/NVQ. It's just no one ever does.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Eggmundo said:

Then post his name on here so we don't make the same mistake.

And his mobile number for a bit of abuse. Scumbag

Cancel the cheque now ring the bank and then ring/write to trading standards

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I agree. Cancel the cheque. At least it was a cheque and she didn't have to go to the hole in the wall and get cash.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Eastleigh Seagull said:
will get the name and number up here soon - just trying to confirm it!
Yeee HAA boys....we gots ourselves a lynching!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here