Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please sign this petition (sorry if fixtures)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The council were involved in the assessment of available sites - they may not have any final say over which site is "stolen" BUT they were involved in highlighting which site(s) were most suitable to the government.

So they haven't chosen the site then, therefore it would be unfair to suggest that this is a local Green & Tory conspiracy.

Hove vs Gove: Education Secretary Michael Gove accused of ignoring local wishes with plans to build new free school on playing fields - Education News - Education - The Independent

"Consultants from the centrally funded Education Funding Agency (EFA) were brought in to look for appropriate sites for the school."

"The powers of national government under the Education Act (2011) are immense and we find ourselves having to resist them.”

Both Caroline Lucas & Mike Weatherly (Con, Hove) have spoken out against it. It's appears to be a Tory Central Government issue rather than anything to do with our council.

Do we need 1000 extra school places in Brighton & Hove? I have no stake in this so I genuinely don't know. If we do need them, what alternative sites are there?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I am going to be EXTREMELY controversial and say that the facts are not being publicised and that I actually this would be a good location compared to the other sites.

As Spring Hall Convert has said, the land being taken would be a small part of the field that is NEVER used by BHASVIC or Stanford School. The majority of the Dyke Road Playing fields (which is leased from B&H Council) would be unaffected, as would the football pitches.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Signed.

Need to correct this though - it's a Tory and Green plan.The search for land to build a school to religiously brainwash our kids was a joint venture between the Tory government AND the current GREEN council. Yes, a Green council wanting to building on a green site !!!!!

Utter gibberish.

The Green (and for that matter, all) councillors were kept in the dark over officers' consultations with the Education Funding Agency regarding finding a site. Expect officers' heads to be rolling on this one.

The Greens are - along with most, if not all councillors, as well as Caroline Lucas and Mike Weatherley - opposed to building a new school there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm no fan of the plan, pretty much exclusively on the basis that I think Michael Gove is a turd but are you guys aware that it will only take up a fraction of the land? From memory I think it was around 10-15%.

I'm also pretty sure those blaming the council are barking up the wrong tree, they have no say over the location of "free schools." I thought I saw Tory & Green alike were backing "Hove against Gove."

On a local level, virtually everyone who got involved - politically and apolitically - was against this. Even the school in question was embarrassed over this, as they never really campaigned for that site.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My concern as a sports fan we are losing to many fields which should be protected for the future use,but schools need to have more all weather pitches which the community should be able to use. This will help improve our skills on this type of surfaces rather than play on ploughed fields. How many school fields are under used!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here