Please settle an arguement

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Please watch the attached video. I say the pier at about 2.38 Is the Palace pier as it would have been then (1991) A friend says it isn't as the dome looks wrong? Also I don't remember the big wheel though, where was this?

Please the great and good of NSC shed some light on this?

[yt]mJ_O0HqCHkI[/yt]

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd say the helter skelter is exactly right. Palace (now Brighton) Pier for me.

Also, they were clearly in teh area, as this is what they say about that song on the Marillion website.

Steve Hogarth :
I had written these words standing in a field near to the rehearsal studio in Brighton, one day. I'd been away from home for most of the eighteen months since I joined the band and I was beginning to feel alienated from my wife, and daughter (Sue and Sofie). It was a beautiful day and I had a head full of the natural things all around me and the sense of separation from the people I love most. I imagine it's worse for them than it is for me and these words are an attempt to say "It's okay, you're with me here.." and to argue against the myth that to be single is to be free. I remember being single... I don't remember it being great. The chorus melody was inspired by a little bit of instrumental music that Mark had done. I took it away and wrote the verses. This is probably the softest song the band has ever done and I think Steve and Ian had some trouble getting used to it. It got a lot of airplay when it was released and I remember someone at EMI saying he'd jump out of the window if it wasn't a big hit... He lied.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don't remember a big wheel at the pier either,and there is nothing in the video to say it was part of the pier as far as I can see. At 4.08 there is another clip of what certainly looks like Brighton seafront to me, so I'd agree with Gritt23 its the Palace Pier.

Last edited:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
yeah, looks like it to me

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Looks right to me - ariel shot from July 91

Attachments

• aerial_view_brighton_pier_500wide.jpg
    aerial_view_brighton_pier_500wide.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 116

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Yep, Palace (NEVER Brighton) Pier. Christ, I could be hung for a comment like that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
without doubt , the Palace Pier.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's a few shots of around the seafront, with Brighton's recognisable turquoise ralings etc. In fact, there's Brighton there, there's Brighton there, there's Brighton there, there's Brighton there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports