Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please please please stop moaning at Leon

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Last night I thought Leon had his best game of the season. What amazed me was how many people still abused him throughout the game.

The blokes next to me in B Block even went so far as to abuse him after he had scored, calling him a 'lucky little bastard'.

Numerous people near me shouted at him when he got clattered by Virgo as well.

The most unbelievable was when he ran 20 foot to tackle someone, only for the ball to rebound to another Cardiff player. The response? Not, 'good chasing Leon' but 'THATS where you should be Knight you useless little tosser.'

It seems it is now fashionable to abuse Knight.

When I challened two fans about why the were giving him so much shit they just said he was 'robbing the fans because he is on 3k a week.'

It is plain to see Knights confidence is low. He is therefore not playing as well as he can. People getting on his back is just going to make things worse.

McGhee obviously told him to come back on to the right side of midfield when we were defending and he worked back well. He scored. He won headers. He put defenders under pressure and he kept the ball and won us vital free kicks to take pressure off of the defence.

The way he controlled a crossfield ball so that it flicked over the defender in the first half was amazing.

The thing people do no appreciate is that Virgo is obviously going to chase people down and hassle them. That is what he is told to do. Knight is not that sort of forward and is never going to be.

People have short memories. Was he a 'lazy useless bastard' when he scored the goal that put us up?

Give Knight a chance.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well said Richie. I think he ran his arse off last night and was hacked into the ground by their seemingly-unbookable leftback and had a great game, yet he still gets groans from some old gits every time he gets fouled. It's bollocks. I think he's excellent.

(Although, ahem, I think he might have taken a dive for the penalty appeal that prompted the fisticuffs at the end.)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
His interview on the radio afterwards was top draw.

Sign up to join the 'Stop moaning at Leon Knight Campaign for true Brighton fans'.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Agreed - a Leon high on confidence as opposed to being barracked by his own fans might just mean we start winning games at home.

He had a good game last night, won lots of (legitimate) free kicks and was a thorn in their defence. Personally I thought he did ok at Crewe as well, and I was surprised when he was taken off at 2-0 down - so I can understand his reaction, if nothing else it shows he cares!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
:clap2: Thoroughly agree, Richie.

Knight was outstanding last night, and has been better than he's got credit for all season. We're not a side who'll create a lot of chances, so he's not going to get so many goals this year. Playing with Virgo, who never plays him in as he needs it makes it hard for him, but he'll prove himself at this level. Get off his back, whingers!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sorry, but he could do better. I don't moan at the players though.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
I thought Knight had his best game of the season last night. But for the performance of Kuipers, knight would probably have been our man of the match.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I thought he was superb yesterday. he worked his socks off and always wanted the ball. there were 2 occasions where he ended up as last man tracking people back and both times won the ball cleanly.

The person that did p*** me off last night was Kuipers. Not for his overall performance as he made some wonderful saves and looked like he could actually kick the ball but I remember on numerous occasions in the 1st half when Leon was in at least 20 yards of space and Kuipers kept refusing to kick it to him.

Well done last night Leon :clap: :clap: :clap:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Totally agree Richie, its become fashionable with people looking for excuses to moan at Leon.. The guy scored 27 goals to get us promoted and had the balls with the penalty kick in Cardiff.. Given time and confidence he will come true

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im going to write a letter to Leon telling him he has the support of the majority of the fans and thanking him for his goals.

From the way he reacted in his interview on the radio and in the paper today its obvious hes annoyed at the stick hes getting.

He does contribute a lot, when I've seen him. He does seem to throw minor wobblies and gesticulations when a pass doesn't work out - but he's thinking about moves that other players aren't up to or capable of....and asking a lot of others sometimes.
It works both ways though, when you see the deliveries he's asked to control at all heights and speeds!

The falling-over is looking a bit dodgy, as refs are noticing. They're not giving him anything now, even if it's a good call for a foul.

I agree the fans should keep off his case, and leave it to the manager if it's pertinant.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've never moaned at him :angel:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Was he a 'lazy useless bastard' when he scored the goal that put us up?

Yes, he was.

larus

Good call Richie.

I've always been a fan of his. Has taken a few things on-board from MM I think at has definately upped his work-rate.

He's gonna get knocked about and hurt, after all he's only 5'4", not 6'4". I'm 5'7", and when I get clouted by dig defenders it hurts, and these pros don't hold back.

Get off his case. He's stopped the stupid diving, and looks now to be playing for the team.

Last point, I also heard Charlie give a shout to Leon after he tracked back and made a good tackle (OK, the ball ricochet to a Cardiff player, but that was not his fault). He appreciated the work from Leon, and encouraged him.

Leon Knight, Knight, Knight.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah alright, he did well against Cardiff. I do like him really. I don't think he's stopped the diving though, I saw him dive at least twice against Cardiff. Although to be fair to him, as you say, he is only 5"4 so I suppose it is hard when being kicked by a big six-foot Welshman. Should be used to it by now though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Expect to see regular updates from Richie on the progress of his letter over the next three months, before in May 2007 he finally posts a 2000 word explanation as to why it was never completed, due to pressure of work, the negative response and lack of contributions he received for it from NSC, the fact that Leon left the club in 2005 and he could not afford to risk 27p of his own money on a stamp with no guarantee of getting it back.:wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here