Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please, please, please just think a little before you post

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
This case concerning comments made on an Estonian news site that has just gone through the European Court of Human Rights might have some serious repercussions:

Case Law, Strasbourg: Delfi AS v Estonia: Court Strikes Serious Blow to Free Speech Online

Interesting to note that the Daily Mail, which has campaigned vigorously against the EU Human Rights Act, is applying to have the Leveson recommendations prevented from being enacted in UK legislation, by claiming that it's Human Rights are being eroded. Dacre a shameless hypocrite? Never of course!

Sorry guys, straight over my head! Can you translate to English please? :)

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Sorry guys, straight over my head! Can you translate to English please? :)

My bit: An Estonian news web site has been held responsible by the European Court of Human Rights for comments made by someone else on their site .

If this was to set a precedence (I believe it is being appealed to a higher court) it would have massive implications for sites like NSC. I heard an interview with what sounded like the @Bozza equivalent on Mumsnet who seemed to think it might mean every post there being approved, which is unworkable on a site the size of Mumsnet or NSC.

Haven't had breakfast so will leave @el presidente to take you on a tour of Paul Dacre's mind.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My bit: An Estonian news web site has been held responsible by the European Court of Human Rights for comments made by someone else on their site .

If this was to set a precedence (I believe it is being appealed to a higher court) it would have massive implications for sites like NSC. I heard an interview with what sounded like the @Bozza equivalent on Mumsnet who seemed to think it might mean every post there being approved, which is unworkable on a site the size of Mumsnet or NSC.

Haven't had breakfast so will leave @el presidente to take you on a tour of Paul Dacre's mind.

Good grief, that would have HUGE implications for every internet site on which comments can be made by anyone.

At the end of the day, NSC must regulate itself - if we as users see something that we think is contentious, report it. Means more work for the mods, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here