Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please please please get a new striker

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Actually, thought Baldock had a reasonable game, pinging in some decent crosses from out wide (although would rather he was on the end of them, not out wide) and he made some good runs elsewhere. Is he really being blamed for not winning balls lumped forward in the air to him?

No, I don't blame Baldock.

I question why the f*ck that dipshit Burke spent almost our entire transfer budget on two strikers who even if stood on each other's shoulders couldn't win a header, when it was so apparent our new manager wanted to play 1 up top.

And we pay this guy for his recruitment expertise. Christ.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No, I don't blame Baldock.

I question why the f*ck that dipshit Burke spent almost our entire transfer budget on two strikers who even if stood on each other's shoulders couldn't win a header, when it was so apparent our new manager wanted to play 1 up top.

And we pay this guy for his recruitment expertise. Christ.

These sort of personal insults add nothing to the debate, and are entirely unnecessary and quite unpleasant. I too share your frustration at the position in which we find ourselves, but please don't forget that we are on the periphery and are not able to judge with any real degree of accuracy who is to blame. How do you know that Mr Burke did not suggest other players and was over-ruled or that several players whom he regarded as just what we need, went elsewhere. Yes, the recruitment does seem to have been unsuccessful, I fully agree, and I suppose the buck stops with the boss -just that the description of him may not be justified.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No point getting another striker if he doesn't get the right service. Too many of our balls into the box are above our petite strikers, whether Baldock, CMS or Colunga. Even COG hasn't got on the end of many high balls.

Gus, Oscar and Sami all perpetuated 'CMS Syndrome' i.e. play a lone striker, give him the wrong service and allow him to be outnumbered by two CBs. A tactic that gifts too much of the initiative to the opposition........ We don't even play a second striker in home games! Yesterday we had Baldock with KLL and EB playing wide-ish, which was a positive - but Baldock was still isolated. Grant Holt has been mentioned as an example of the sort of 'target man' we could have gone for - but Greer and Dunk comfortably kept him quiet at Huddersfield, because he was largely played alone, yet they had Scannell firing in a series of decent crosses.

The best striking combo I've seen this season was McGoldrick and Murphy, they play off each other superbly - and benefit from excellent service. It was no coincidence that that the promising CMS and Baldock combo (give them another chance!) was eclipsed that night because of the difference in service. TBF in the 1st half yesterday we did get some decent balls into the box. However the striker was in wrong place - or vice versa.

Burke gets a lot of flak on here but I have to ask whether he was adequately briefed regarding the tactics preferred by Hyypia before he went shopping? Was he told 'get me a big target man' - if so was COG really Burke's solution? Would Sami then play to his strengths? - I'm not sure COG would agree! Would Baldock regularly get to play off the target man? - No, he hasn't!

The other factor in Burke's role is the budget he is given, whether for transfer fees and / or wages. Clearly we cannot compete with clubs receiving parachute payments. Hence we got gazumped over some of our preferred targets. Ultimately Burke can only provide the players who fit our budget - and are willing to join us.

Burke's reputation is then largely in the manager's hands. I believe the we actually have a decent squad, assuming everyone is fit (inc. Stephens, March etc). Can we say that Sami has actually played the optimal formation for that squad? I don't think so. I suggest that is partly compounded by his rotation policy.

You could also blame the players - and ok they are entitled to have a duff game here and there, but too often they appear to be chasing a game because of our tactical deficiencies. Compounded by then having the Amex crowd on their backs, so no surprise that their confidence might be wobbly. Many of our better performances this season have been away from home.

IMO it all boils down to Sami not playing the right formations. Yesterday it seemed that we were being outgunned in midfield (especially 2nd half) and failing to support Baldock. We make it too easy by playing too predictably about 40 yards from goal. We huff and puff but I suspect defences are quite happy to see across playing slow, sideways balls without posing a threat. Sami did too little too late, heaping huge expectations on McCourt. Too often he has to collect the ball from our CBs, inside our own half.

On balance I feel that IMO Sami is the critical problem. I know many on here are clamouring for us to look to the transfer market, again. However we brought in 11 players before Sept and currently have a bus load of loanees, which is never ideal. However I'm not sure that I would condone spending 'big' without demanding significant assurances from Sami.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We scored 2 away against Bournemouth and Brentford but still lost. We scored first but couldn't keep a lead at home against Rotherham, Blackburn, and Cardiff. If we'd kept clean sheets or defended well in all these games we'd be 2nd in the table..In only 3 games out of 17 this season have we lost and failed to score... See http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?311-0-1-why-clean-sheets-are-more-valuable-to-the-Albion-than-scoring-a-goal for more on why its not necessarily about getting a new striker.

Last edited:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Think you've got it right here. Baldock looks good, but he's not the one to lead the line in our system. Burke should have known that he played off a big man at Bristol City, and thought about whether he'd be appropriate for us.

Look at Charlie Austin, not cutting it in the PL, then old 'Arry puts Bobby next to him & suddenly he's scoring every week and being talked up for England. Good old Bobby.....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Look at Charlie Austin, not cutting it in the PL, then old 'Arry puts Bobby next to him & suddenly he's scoring every week and being talked up for England. Good old Bobby.....

is that good old Bobby, that most people said would not cut it in the championship if he came back now, and we don't want to destroy the memories of first time around....

Still probably the best hold it up striker in the premier league in my opinion

I would take 70 mins of Zamora every week with pleasure in my side

I have to say I was pretty happy with Baldock signing at the time, I genuinely did not realise his all round game was as dissapointing as it is. And while i respect we are not giving him the best of service at times he for me is woefully short for what we need.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have to say I was pretty happy with Baldock signing at the time, I genuinely did not realise his all round game was as dissapointing as it is. And while i respect we are not giving him the best of service at times he for me is woefully short for what we need.

All that. the 'no service' thing is a bit of a nonsense. He got plenty of service on Saturday, and never looked like doing anything with it. In fact on 3 of the occassions he failed to even take a shot, when well placed. He doesn't seem to have the confidence to back himself - which is odd for a guy with so many goals to his name (last season).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
All that. the 'no service' thing is a bit of a nonsense. He got plenty of service on Saturday, and never looked like doing anything with it. In fact on 3 of the occassions he failed to even take a shot, when well placed. He doesn't seem to have the confidence to back himself - which is odd for a guy with so many goals to his name (last season).

Spot on HKFC, plenty of quality delivery in the first half especially on saturday and he was no where to be seen.

Id personally pay Murray whatever he wants come back in January. Id rather a younger version of him to be honest but I cant think of anyone.
Lets hope the recruitment team have someone in mind.....

flying high

May 12, 2009
I thought somebody suggested a young player at Southampton who could be avaiable to loan as they want him to have games

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
Eoin Doyle at chesterfield 6ft has 14 goals so far , could prob get him for reasonable amount

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Every single team who've come to the Amex have had a big man up front. Someone who can hold the ball up and bring other people into play. We don't have that option. It was depressing today watching Baldock on his own up front, with acres of space between him and the midfield. If we get a big, strong striker we will finish top half, easy.

Only if he gets decent service and can score?

Ballotelli is big and strong but not sure if he would score many for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here