Please help volanco news on sky or bbc news

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Hi,

In Palma and have flight scheduled for later today. Not sure if Sky News website up to date and/or BBC so please could someone if awake back home let me know if they make a decision to stop flights into Gatwick from 3pm.
Many thanks in advance!

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Thanks. It is a nightmare I spoke to the CAA, and they said you need to speak to your Airline. However it will be too late as by then too late to book flight for this morning (Airline contact number closed)! Therefore shit or bust the the afternoon flight. It is crazy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Am at Gatwick now & there's no impact on flights anywhere other than Scotland so far :thumbsup:

May change later in the week but for now it's only Scottish & the odd Scandinavian flight affected.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I work for Virgin Atlantic and this is what we have been told this morning:

Unlike last year’s volcanic ash cloud, where no flights were permitted in UK airspace for long periods, alternative procedures now exist to allow our operation to continue safely and limit disruption where possible.

Depending on the weather patterns and the volcanic activity, we and other airlines could be rerouting flights in the coming days and some disruption to our programme might occur.

Hopefully you should be OK. I'll let you know if I hear different.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Which airline are you flying with? I work within the airline operations for a major UK tour operator, but we've currently only been advised regarding the Scottish airspace and have arranged things accordingly. There's currently no closure of English airspace planned.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
It's generally a good idea to keep an eye on the NATS website for updates, since that's who the FTO (Federation of Tour Operators) and ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) speak with regularly for any planned airspace closures.

Grímsvötn volcanic ash updates | NATS

May 2011 – 0425 UK time

Latest information from the Met Office shows that following the recent eruption of Grímsvötn in Iceland, an area of volcanic ash is forecast to affect some parts of Scotland between 0700 and 1300 UK time on Tuesday, 24 May. Airports in the UK remain open, however some services may be affected from Scottish aerodromes including:

§ Aberdeen

§ Inverness

§ Benbecula

§ Barra

§ Tiree

Stornoway is available for arrivals from the north and departures to the north. Please note – passengers should check with their airline before travelling to these airports. A further update will be provided at approximately 0900 UK time today (24 May).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hi,

In Palma and have flight scheduled for later today. Not sure if Sky News website up to date and/or BBC so please could someone if awake back home let me know if they make a decision to stop flights into Gatwick from 3pm.
Many thanks in advance!

If you are flying into Gatwick, check Gatwick Airport | Parking, Hotels, Flight Information & Duty Free

Site is currently displaying on front page

Volcanic ash update
Gatwick is open but some services to and from Scottish airports may be affected during the next 24 hours.

The latest information from the Met Office shows that following the recent eruption of Grimsvotn in Iceland, an area of volcanic ash is affecting Scotland today (Tuesday 24 May).

British Airways and easyJet have cancelled some services to Scotland. Please contact your airline for the latest information.

We will continue to provide regular updates online and on Twitter.

You can also check the Gatwick flight arrivals and departures boards on there. If you're on a tour operator flight, you may well be able to check (tho not always, but it may well have the same flight number you came out on, assuming you're there for a week/fortnight) if the plane that's coming to pick you up has left Gatwick on time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bank holiday weekend approaching. Should just about be hitting England by then if current conditions prevail.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Latest from NATS:
24 May 2011 – 0930 UK time
Latest information from the Met Office shows that following the recent eruption of Grímsvötn in Iceland, an area of volcanic ash is forecast to affect some parts of the UK between 1300 and 1900 UK time on Tuesday 24 May. Airports remain open, however some services may be affected from the following aerodromes including:

■Londonderry
■Glasgow
■Edinburgh
■Prestwick
■Newcastle
■Carlisle
■Durham Tees Valley
■Cumbernauld
Please note – passengers should check with their airline before travelling to these airports.

A further update will be provided at approximately 1500 UK time today (24 May).

Just a note on a previous poster's comment about checking the airport website. I would tend to discourage this - as it is DEFINITELY not 100% correct. Where you can, check the Airline's own website first.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I ruddy love CHAOS

l33d940d20000_2_8329.jpg

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I work for Virgin Atlantic and this is what we have been told this morning:

Slightly off topic – do you know when the result of the Virgin pilots strike ballot will be known. I think the press were saying the end of June.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports