please help settle an argument. Do you remember when...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Please help settle an argument.
In the early nineties, I cant remember when exactly, but before the game started an opposing player smashed the ball into the north stand during the warm up. It hit one of the strip lights underneath the north stand roof. The strip light smashed in two and was hanging down precariously. It could have speared someone underneath. The rozzers found a ladder and came to, i thought at the time, go up the ladder and take the light down. To my amazement instead of using the ladder to go up and take the light down they proceeded to hit the light with the ladder showering glass over the crowd. They got quite a bit of abuse for this and eventually one of them climbed the ladder and took what remained of the light down.

I remember this quite clearly, by my mate who attended doesn't remember this and argued that either this didn't happen or it happened at an away game when he wasn't there.

Does anyone else remember this?

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
well someone vaguely remembering is a start. My mate said he's still not convinced though. Anyone else remember this?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I got a vague recollection of that as well but would have thought earlier than the nineties but then again I am old and my memory not too good nowadays

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yup i remember something about it but cant recall the Plod with a ladder. Seem to remember the light hanging down though!

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
It could have been very late 80's I guess. But I only started going in the North Stand around 89-90 i think.

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Yeah it could have been a sherpa van game i suppose. I reckon I have won this argument as some seem to remember this vaguely (it was a long time ago). But can anyone else remember this. My mate says he will buy me a pint for every 5 people that can remember! It would be nice to get at least 2 pints out of it:lolol:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It rings a bell. Definitely nineties rather than the eighties, I was still a kid in the family area in the South Stand in the eighties.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I remember, as do my four colleagues beside me.

Enjoy your free pint :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports