Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please gus the midfield is running out of ideas....

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
One signing we must make in the summer is a big beast of a player, a box to box type, a physical presence who can forward with the ball.

No it isnt, because Gus doesn't play with a box to box midfielder. So not only would it be utterly pointless, but we have Cofts who is a box to box midfielder and a bloody good one at that.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Ultimately the manager selects the midfield and dictates how they are utilised. It is our manager that has run out of ideas. 1 win in seven is relegation form, but we beat Palace 3:0, so the sycophants will be happy.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ultimately the manager selects the midfield and dictates how they are utilised. It is our manager that has run out of ideas. 1 win in seven is relegation form, but we beat Palace 3:0, so the sycophants will be happy.

Picking last 7 is convenient. I can do that, how about the last 10, where we stack up really well or perhaps the last 4 where only Baadiff have been better. We'll have off days but seems to me that the teams that have the least off days will be the winners. It's bloody odd but that's the way it is and Gus is just one of many suffering with it. I s'pose we could go for that twunt Davies if you'd prefer?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
No it isnt, because Gus doesn't play with a box to box midfielder. So not only would it be utterly pointless, but we have Cofts who is a box to box midfielder and a bloody good one at that.
If you think Crofts has had a good season you're the only Albion fan who does.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
"Running out of ideas"? I think the emphasis is on the running- Lopez, Orlandi and to some extent Hammond, are all very one-paced- slow - lack the ability to add the sudden bursts of speed that can create things out of nothing. Vicente, when he came on, added pace even if he wasn't always successful.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
"Running out of ideas"? I think the emphasis is on the running- Lopez, Orlandi and to some extent Hammond, are all very one-paced- slow - lack the ability to add the sudden bursts of speed that can create things out of nothing. Vicente, when he came on, added pace even if he wasn't always successful.

Don't think Vicente adds pace, just gives that impression as he glides past people. He does speed the general play up though with more forward looking passes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With 7 on the bench I would think there is a case to include JFC and if the occasion warrants it bring him on but it appears that Gus wants Croft on there. For me Croft has been a shadow of the player he was since his return and think that JFC may offer a better alternative attacking wise. Unless there was a doubt about a defenders fitness I could not see the point of Painter and El Abd being on the bench.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I'm begging you gus let jfc free he's fresh and Hungary . We need a different sort of player in the center of the park. Orlandi Lopez and Hammond offers practically nothing in the final 3rd today, we have no one ariveing late in the box( like a lampard).Its not to late for him to make the difference. The rest of the squad have had enough chances and failed to break down teams, think outside the box gus take a gamble!!!!

Dead right. I think we have got to face facts this squad of players just aren't good enough to take us to the the Premier, allied with the fact that Gus's just hasn't got the tactictical know-how to change tactics during a game when things aren't going right.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Sorry fella but Crofts has been utter turd since he has come back.
Regarding a box to box midfielder, I am quite confident that if we had a player who could comfortably cover this position he would be a starter everu game. We have no drive through the middle whatsoever, the midfield is screaming out for it.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
If you think Crofts has had a good season you're the only Albion fan who does.

Sorry fella but Crofts has been utter turd since he has come back.
Regarding a box to box midfielder, I am quite confident that if we had a player who could comfortably cover this position he would be a starter everu game. We have no drive through the middle whatsoever, the midfield is screaming out for it.

You both missed my point. He HAS had a turd season because Gus hasn't used him the same way he did in his first spell here.

Crofts IS a box to box midfielder but has been played with the handbrake on.

I think if Gus set the team up tactically with a place for a box to box midfielder then I think both Crofts and Hammond couple play this position well.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You both missed my point. He HAS had a turd season because Gus hasn't used him the same way he did in his first spell here.

Crofts IS a box to box midfielder but has been played with the handbrake on.

I think if Gus set the team up tactically with a place for a box to box midfielder then I think both Crofts and Hammond couple play this position well.
My apologies, I misunderstood your post. I agree entirely about Crofts, hasn't been allowed to do his job properly.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Thought he's been ready 2 and a half years....... most will laugh at that and obviously is why I'm not a Championship manager but I do think he'd be good enough given a chance and even better with game time behind him.

That said can we please spend our budget on a Liam Trotter type to play alongside Bridcutt and the flair-anatic current midfielders

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thought he's been ready 2 and a half years....... most will laugh at that and obviously is why I'm not a Championship manager but I do think he'd be good enough given a chance and even better with game time behind him.

That said can we please spend our budget on a Liam Trotter type to play alongside Bridcutt and the flair-anatic current midfielders

This. I've said that for ages. Something different in centre midfield .... someone at least reasonable on the ball, but with pace and power, who drives forward through the middle.

The gifted passers have been fantastic this season, but there are many games where tactics against us nullify them all (yesterday) and they are muscled off the ball by powerhouses (yesterday).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here