Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please convince me that I have not wasted almost £500 on an iPad Air

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure of the question as you seem to be saying you can't install it, but then asking about what to do if you do install it.

I have it installed and have just checked it. It doesn't seen cartoony at all to me.

Sorry is wasn't clear. I'm talking about the apple OS that was updated about 6-8 months ago that was a major update being cartoony not the Amex app

Not got a clue what the Amex app looks like as I can't install it without the OS update.

If and when I install the Apple OS update can I make all the app graphics looks as they do (pre update) now instead of the cartoony graphics that the new Apple OS installs

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry is wasn't clear. I'm talking about the apple OS that was updated about 6-8 months ago that was a major update being cartoony not the Amex app

Not got a clue what the Amex app looks like as I can't install it without the OS update.

If and when I install the Apple OS update can I make all the app graphics looks as they do (pre update) now instead of the cartoony graphics that the new Apple OS installs

You can't change them, no.

But I'd say it's try opposite: new iOS is far less cartoony than the old. It's all very flat and understated.

The thing is you don't really need the app now anyway - just use the free cloud wifi in the stadium and use your usual apps.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

I thought the same thing PS but its ok after a while - I don't think you have choice though you either update it and live with it or leave it on the old OS but doing that will give you problems later on.

You could wait till another OS version comes out and then do 2 updates to catch up - they might have changed it again and you might find it better!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You can't change them, no.

But I'd say it's try opposite: new iOS is far less cartoony than the old. It's all very flat and understated.

The thing is you don't really need the app now anyway - just use the free cloud wifi in the stadium and use your usual apps.

Ok thanks.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Just a personal view, missus has iPad, I have Sony Xperia. Love mine, don't need apps when streaming mkvs or issues with flac files. The turning point for me was when Sky Go stopped working on my 1st edition iPad as you needed iOS6 or whatever and so she had to buy a new one. Whilst this has been rectified, didn't like the apparent ash tray full approach.
Just an opinion mind

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
My family bought me an iPad Air for my Birthday recently to replace my laptop. Hated it at first. Getting used to an App based culture is difficult for an oldie like me. I still don't like onscreen keyboards and the need to change from letters to numbers etc. Still I'm getting there now and I'm coming to realise the advantages, plus there's probably a million things I have yet to discover.

I don't think the Albion App is available for ipad yet though and my printer doesn't work with it either.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Take it back, buy a Samsung galaxy android tablet. 1000 times better.

Simply miles from the truth. We have both devices in our house, and the iPad (v2 in my case, and v4 for one of my lads) is many times better than the Galaxy, which I bought for my wife. By comparison the Galaxy is so slow, that nobody can be bothered with it. They'd rather just wait for a turn on one of the iPads.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The 2013 Nexus 7 is now down to £150. You could have thrown in a decent 24 inch TV,a chromecast and a soundbar and still had change from £500.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The 2013 Nexus 7 is now down to £150. You could have thrown in a decent 24 inch TV,a chromecast and a soundbar and still had change from £500.

You are going to look a right prick, setting that lot up in Starbucks, on your lunch hour.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£500 on an iPad air.

Consider that you might have spunked it on a season ticket at the Amex for the coming season instead, and it looks like an absolute STEAL. :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You are going to look a right prick, setting that lot up in Starbucks, on your lunch hour.

Yes well, obviously the USP for the Apple Air is it is the only tablet with a built in screen.

The idea of a lunch hour in Starbucks fills me with a mixture of horror and pity. That was just a random example off the top of your head and not something you would seriously do, is it ? Maybe in some far off land where you don't speak the language and don't know anybody, is there any other reason ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes well, obviously the USP for the Apple Air is it is the only tablet with a built in screen.

The idea of a lunch hour in Starbucks fills me with a mixture of horror and pity. That was just a random example off the top of your head and not something you would seriously do, is it ? Maybe in some far off land where you don't speak the language and don't know anybody, is there any other reason ?

No, no it was my real life example. I spend EVERY lunch hour on my own, in the corner of Starbucks. I also go in there for my breakfast on the way to work, and pop in for a skinny, decaf, frappelatte on my way home.

(Or I would, if there were such a place within 10 miles of my home or office)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No, no it was my real life example. I spend EVERY lunch hour on my own, in the corner of Starbucks. I also go in there for my breakfast on the way to work, and pop in for a skinny, decaf, frappelatte on my way home.

(Or I would, if there were such a place within 10 miles of my home or office)

It's worrying that these people actually exist.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're just not using it right!

You can turn off auto-update for apps.

You need to use 4od to watch channel 4 or film4 content

Also catchuptv will allow you to watch all free view channels with a couple if mins delay,

Search for the apps in the App Store or google the auto update issue.

I don't always like apple but do think that the iPad is not bettered by any android tablet.

I bought an iPad Air about 2 months ago as I truly believed that it would be the best tablet about. I really don't like it and it just does not appear to work well. For starters it is constantly searching for software update them mean any film/TV streams crash whilst watching and to be honest that was a major reason for getting one. Tonight I was wanting to watch film4 on it but cannot get that to work as it says that the device does not support flash player? Is it me, or is it really just a bad machine. My old nexus 7 was way better.

And please, I do not want this to be a Apple/android binfest, there have been enough of those. I just want to know if I am doing something wrong that is ruining the experience. I want it to work beautifully!

Scoobiewhite is scoobieright.

I've got SkyGo, Netflix, CatchupTV, iPlayer, 4OD, BTSport, VirginMedia, ITV player all as apps on my iPad2, all play really well.

Most websites like the BBC etc. will suggest a link to take you to their apps on the app store and all of those apps above are free.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Depends what you use it for I guess. The OP doesn't sound like a graphic animator so for general use there is very little difference. Apart from I can download and upload what I like rather than what's in itunes.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

To be fair, a 2013 Nexus 7 is comparable to a 2013 iPad mini which you can get for £200...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Depends what you use it for I guess. The OP doesn't sound like a graphic animator so for general use there is very little difference. Apart from I can download and upload what I like rather than what's in itunes.

Do you mean the App store?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here