Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing To Mackail-Smith's Strengths

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Looking at this video of a shed load of CMS's goals, most of them are tap in's in the 6 yard box or where he runs through the defenders clean through on goal.

When he gets the ball with us, he is normally 30 yards out with his back to goal. The amount of chances we create for him like the ones in the video are about 1 every 2 or 3 games.

I like how we play keeping the ball, but lots of people want to see Mackail-Smith score goals as well as run around lots. Maybe with Vicente, Buckley and LuaLua firing we can improve our service to him?

[yt]GCxk_CfTpAk[/yt]

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
A very good point and one that I made quite recently. The clamour for a "big striker" to get the best out of him, to me, doesn't make sense. Personally, I think its about throughballs, not knock ons from a big man.

I do however notice that CMS is rarely in the 6 yard box which means that when the ball does drop there, he isn't (often). I don think that this is because he has no faith that the ball will get to him there.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Been done to death on here. Gus' preferred formation only has one striker. Vokes is better at that role at the moment than CMS. Unless we change formation, which seems to be unlikely, although the new Man City boys may impact it, CMS will have to make do with being the substitute striker, or play out wide where Buckley/Lua Lua/Noone play

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Been done to death on here. Gus' preferred formation only has one striker. Vokes is better at that role at the moment than CMS. Unless we change formation, which seems to be unlikely, although the new Man City boys may impact it, CMS will have to make do with being the substitute striker, or play out wide where Buckley/Lua Lua/Noone play

Why did Gus buy him if he doesn't play to the teams strengths? All seems like 3m not well invested.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It makes no sense AT ALL to splash £2.5 million on a striker, and then completely ignore his main strengths. This has been by far the most frustrating element of this season.

You can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of through balls / balls over the top played for CMS to run on to. Considering how frustrated I feel about it, I can't even begin to imagine CMS' thoughts.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Why did Gus buy him if he doesn't play to the teams strengths? All seems like 3m not well invested.

Have been wondering that recently actually. Maybe Gus didn't realise the lone striker role wouldn't suit him and just got it a bit wrong? Or he has just become too dependant on having 3 centre midfielders and doesn't want to deviate from that as (until Sunday anyway), our defensive was looking pretty solid after some shaky periods at the start of the season. Maybe Razak can change this though and fill the role that Navarro/Sparrow occupy by himself? Leaving Poyet free to add CMS up front from the start with Vokes.

It makes no sense AT ALL to splash £2.5 million on a striker, and then completely ignore his main strengths. This has been by far the most frustrating element of this season.

You can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of through balls / balls over the top played for CMS to run on to. Considering how frustrated I feel about it, I can't even begin to imagine CMS' thoughts.

He's had a few decent chances since the turn of the year with some good through balls, but his confidence is obviously not as high as it should be and he's scuffed them. Really hope we do get to see the best of him, because the guy deserves it for all the work he does for us.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yep, never agreed with this "striker with presence" (target man) obsession. Makes even less sense if you don't pair him with CMS once he is here (Paynter and Vokes so far.) I'd much rather have pace and trickery or ingenuity (such as would be provided by Vicente in a free role or the "number 10" position if he were fit enough to start regularly.) We are told ad infinitum that big central defenders like to play against big number 9's anyway and hate pace.... The point is that we have the players in the squad to join in with CMS anyway from midfield (Buckley, KLL, Vicente, Noone and now also Assulin) if we are worried about playing two up top (which Gus clearly is) and that would still afford us the luxury of midfield cover provided by Bridcutt and perhaps now Razak. It is a worry to me as I think CMS is the key man amongst the striking talent and we are not making anything like the most of his undoubted talent, not just in terms of his goals either.

Wondergull

Nov 24, 2004
Brooklyn, New York
Been saying the same thing for a while now. CMS's brain seems to be a couple of seconds quicker than everybody else's. He often points where he wants the through ball played but it never arrives. It normally goes sideways and the chance has gone. I am all for the possession football we play but at times we need to get the ball forward quicker. And, when I say quicker I don't mean long ball, I mean through the middle or over the top where I am sure 9 times out of 10 the likes of CMS, KLL, Buckley of Noone will do the defence for pace.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Maybe Razak can change this though and fill the role that Navarro/Sparrow occupy by himself? Leaving Poyet free to add CMS up front from the start with Vokes.

I was gonna say a similar thing myself, a midfield of Sparrow - Razak - Bridcutt - Buckley might allow us to play two up front without being too overrun.

Whatever happens we can't go on wasting his ability as we have been.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I find the whole situation baffling. Why was he so great for us for 2.5 months, and stuttered ever since? I don't really buy the explanation that teams have just worked him out - as he always was simple enough to play against, as Albion demonstrated against Peterborough last season.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Gus stated at the time he wanted to build the team around CMS, and I'm sure that is one of the reasons CMS was persuaded to join us instead of Leicester or West Ham. Gus seems to have either changed his mind, or CMS is failing to adapt to the passing game as Gus expected. I really hope CMS adapts and starts firing on all cylinders soon :clap:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I find the whole situation baffling. Why was he so great for us for 2.5 months, and stuttered ever since? I don't really buy the explanation that teams have just worked him out - as he always was simple enough to play against, as Albion demonstrated against Peterborough last season.

Gus changed the entire formation after the Palace game to be more defensive. That's one reason. The second is that Noone doesn't cross the ball, just cuts inside and runs. The third is that Dicker is out. He was by far the most creative midfielder at setting up the goals. with Lua Lua getting a run now I think the goals might start to come for CMS but it's not baffling as to why i don't think.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
16 Ankergren
03 Greer
05 Dunk
14 Calderon
20 Vincelot (Hoskins - 77' )
22 Painter
10 Sparrow (Navarro - 67' )
18 Dicker
26 Bridcutt
09 Barnes
12 Mackail-Smith

Worth remembering that this team tore Cardiff to shreds on their own turf. On paper, we look far far stronger now. Have we been sussed out? I don't think it's as straightforward as that tbh and any huge overreaction to Sunday would be a mistake.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I sorta goal with the little and large striker and Macca looks better on the video (especially with his left foot) than he has ever played for the Albion (where I thought he was all right footed). Macca looks good enough for the little striker. Barnes (although better than any of the the so called replacements including Vokes) looks good enough for the Championship as the large striker. Both would have to improve somewhat for the Premiership.

I have still got them both in my suggested team against Hull. The video shows Macca is better than he runs from deep. Why don't Macca and Barnes take turns in moving into the midfield?

I would stick with Macca and Barnes with Vokes as an understudy, on the bench like he usually is.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gus changed the entire formation after the Palace game to be more defensive. That's one reason. The second is that Noone doesn't cross the ball, just cuts inside and runs. The third is that Dicker is out. He was by far the most creative midfielder at setting up the goals. with Lua Lua getting a run now I think the goals might start to come for CMS but it's not baffling as to why i don't think.
Lua Lua hasn't really been a regular starter all season, but you'd hope he will have a positive impact on CMS's form. Perhaps I've underestimated Dicker's impact on our creativity

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

This is more than a coincidence isn't it? CMS has not been the same since Dicker's injury.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
with Lua Lua getting a run now I think the goals might start to come for CMS but it's not baffling as to why i don't think.

This is true. Lua Lua fired some great balls into the box on Sunday, and against a lesser team I think we may have finished one or two of them off

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barnes was playing properly up top with him in a front two at the start of the season. They were linking up brilliantly together.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

A very good and very overlooked point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here