Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Playing the ball out from the back

Passing out form the back, are you

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I generally like to watch it, sometimes with my heart in my mouth, but then I am equally at home when Dunk pings a pass from the left back position to Montoya or whoever out wide right near the opposition box. What I don't like it aimless punts from our box into the opponent's box or to their keeper knowing full well it will come straight back. If we are winning by 1 goal and in the last minute hit the ball down to a corner flag but please not back to their keeper or if you must, put it over the bar for at least a goal kick not for him to have in his hands.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Getting use to it and can totally understand the reasoning behind it, draw in two, three, four players and in one pass they are taken out, how often is that telling pass a simple but positive five to ten yard pass.
Yes it's high risk and at times we will cock up but the positivity of our play is becoming joy to watch.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I looked at this a few years ago when I was coaching and the risk of losing the ball at the back when playing short is no different to losing it when hitting the ball longer and statistically the odds on conceding are the same even though by going longer the defending team have more players in shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When it works it's beautiful, when it doesn't (Sheff U) it's agonising.

Recently, I feel Duffy is more comfortable with it than Webster, who was bought as the ball-playing centre back (and Duffy supposedly the uncultured industrial centre back). Confidence I guess.

It's definitively risky as when it goes wrong there's high chance of a goal. However, it's certainly more entertaining and as I go to the football to be entertained more than I do for win at all costs it's a thumbs up from me.

I'm still getting used to it though.

edit - of course there is a loud mouthed contigent of the crowd that moan and groan about it (mostly the older fans?) - I hope Potter and the players can ignore them

Interesting. What struck me most about Duffys performance against Bournemouth was how uncomfortable he looked with the ball. He would play his passes under little pressure straight to Propper or Montoya when they had someone close to them, who then had no choice to play it back to Duffy, who would then go back to Ryan when he was closed down. It all worked out, but the way we play it, and why Webster is good, is that the passes from the defender are delayed, even under pressure, and made to an outlet who is in space so they can turn or pass it on to someone further forward.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not that I see pre-match warm-ups very often, but a staple of this always seemed to be a version of "piggy in the middle" where one player tries to intercept the ball being knocked about by the players forming a ring outside them.

Assuming they still do that, I can now see that it serves a purpose. Short, sharp passes that are terrifyingly close to the "piggy" and inches away from being intercepted.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I keep thinking that....but considering how many times he's done so now I'm struggling to think of when he's messed it up. His ball control; is exceptional for a keeper - some of the passes back to him now are really getting belted at him but he's totally confident on either foot.

Everyone needs to get used to it because we're not going to stop it now (benefits/chances created far outweigh the risks).......won't stop the hordes of 'kick it long' wailers in the WSL from moaning though :shrug:

I can remember maybe a couple of times when the attacker has connected and the ball went out for a throw or goal kick and one game, Wolves maybe, when he came awfully close to running into his own goal, but I agree the way we are playing has more benefits than not, more so away from home as well

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Interesting. What struck me most about Duffys performance against Bournemouth was how uncomfortable he looked with the ball. He would play his passes under little pressure straight to Propper or Montoya when they had someone close to them, who then had no choice to play it back to Duffy, who would then go back to Ryan when he was closed down. It all worked out, but the way we play it, and why Webster is good, is that the passes from the defender are delayed, even under pressure, and made to an outlet who is in space so they can turn or pass it on to someone further forward.

There’s a few reasons Webster has generally stayed in the team. 1) what you’ve stated above. 2) he’s much better on the turn than Duffy and 3) he’s quicker allowing us to play a higher line.

Thing is, most of our fans are accustomed to us defending on the 6 yard line all match where you need a big strong burly lad who heads a ball well.

What we don’t need right now is a big strong burly lad who can head a ball. We need a footballer (although ideally one who can use his head too).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not that I see pre-match warm-ups very often, but a staple of this always seemed to be a version of "piggy in the middle" where one player tries to intercept the ball being knocked about by the players forming a ring outside them.

Assuming they still do that, I can now see that it serves a purpose. Short, sharp passes that are terrifyingly close to the "piggy" and inches away from being intercepted.

They’re called Rondos. They’re a staple of most coaching courses nowadays.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They’re called Rondos. They’re a staple of most coaching courses nowadays.

In the same way as refuse collector sounds much more impressive than dustman, so Rondos sounds much more professional than telling grown men to go and play some piggy in the middle, but it's actually the same thing :lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I quite often think about, if I was the opposition manager, knowing how Brighton play, how would I go about nullifying the possession based, play it out from the back style. There are 3 options the way I see it

1) Sit deep, get your shape and refuse to go chasing the ball (Newcastle did this to us)

You’re less likely to be hit on the counter, but you’ll also have very little possession and you give up the chance to force a mistake

2) Press with the strikers and most of the midfield but leave your defence fairly deep (the Bournemouth and Palace approach)

Might force a mistake in the passing and you’re still protected from the ball in behind to Maupay, but your ceding tonnes of space In the midfield for Mooy and Propper to exploit

3) Press with the whole team and have the defence high up the pitch. (like Leicester and Wolves did)

Gives you the chance to strangle our passing game but leaves you vulnerable to a quick ball into space.

If I was an opposing manager, I’d reason that the biggest threat we carry is achieved through midfield domination. I’d go option 3, press aggressively with a high line and accept the risk of conceding on the counter

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Cant have your cake and eat it in this situation. Its necessary to draw their front players out to create the space in behind for players like Mooy, Trossard and Gross to be in to do their work. If you lump it long those spaces in between the lines arent there.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I quite often think about, if I was the opposition manager, knowing how Brighton play, how would I go about nullifying the possession based, play it out from the back style. There are 3 options the way I see it

1) Sit deep, get your shape and refuse to go chasing the ball (Newcastle did this to us)

You’re less likely to be hit on the counter, but you’ll also have very little possession and you give up the chance to force a mistake

2) Press with the strikers and most of the midfield but leave your defence fairly deep (the Bournemouth and Palace approach)

Might force a mistake in the passing and you’re still protected from the ball in behind to Maupay, but your ceding tonnes of space In the midfield for Mooy and Propper to exploit

3) Press with the whole team and have the defence high up the pitch. (like Leicester and Wolves did)

Gives you the chance to strangle our passing game but leaves you vulnerable to a quick ball into space.

If I was an opposing manager, I’d reason that the biggest threat we carry is achieved through midfield domination. I’d go option 3, press aggressively with a high line and accept the risk of conceding on the counter

Only Sheff U outplayed us, not sure which approach they took!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
my concerns are you need very good footballers, which arent necessarily brilliant defenders, to achieve this style. also passing the keeper when right infront of his goal is asking for an accidental goal. and knowing when to recognise no pass is on and getting the ball up pitch. thats were our players probably will get caught out.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I thought the point was to draw the opposition out of position, then move fast past them. While it is a tactic that people can see, most players can't help being drawn into it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here