• Peter Crouch

Votes: 66 60.0%
  • Manuel Almunia

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Following the international retirement (again) of Carragher and Gerrard stating he aims to continue his England career... Pick the players you would be happy to see play for England again from the 23 man squad (24 including Rio).

Multiple choice poll, pick as many (or as little) as you want.

Carragher retires / Gerrard continues

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Hart, A.Cole, Terry, Rio, Johnson, King, Barry, Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Rooney

Unfortunaly they are the best of an average bunch

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you cheeky scamp putting the wild card in there... theres NO WAY Carragher will play again.

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007
the only ones over 27 I would keep are the two coles. rest too many egos, overrated, or just plain rubbish. most of em have never performed for engalnd. lmaprd, gerrard, terry. Ferdinand strangely is the one that has but not sure he'll be there in two years, deffo not four, and think he's one that might retire off his own back anyway.

Hart,
Johnson, Cole,
Milner, Lennon
Rooney

oh, maybe barry. as a squad member.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Johnson was without a doubt, my best player. Tight race between him and Scumbag Cole, but Johnson edged it for me, he looked class.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
He had one good game going forward. Otherwise he was SHIT

I thought he looked good.

Take the Germany game, he looked worse than he is because he was forced several times to cover for Terry and Uptons mistakes when they were nowhere. More to see from this lad.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Hasn't Ledley King come out and said he'll not be involved again too?

It's the younguns I'd like to keep, like Lennon, Milner and Hart. I'd also make room for Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, possibly Glen Johnson, ONE of Gerrard and Lampard, Rooney, Crouch and Defoe.

But even then that's not a winning spine. I want even BETTER players competing for the shirts next time we're at an international tournament.

And where exactly are they?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Looking down that list it's simply depressing.

I've just watched England beating the Aussies in Rugby World Cup Final 2003 and to see the intensity of the players, the commitment to the team, the complete solidarity, the organisation etc you realise that in order to win a major tournament the current crop of England players simply don't have the mentality or intelligence to forge a winning side.

I really believe that we might have to pick players who are less naturally talented but are less ego-centric in order to create a better TEAM, i.e Dawson insted of Terry, Rodwell instead of Gerrard, Jagielka instead of Rio, Parker instead of Lampard.

I'm not saying this is England's best XI but the sort of side I'd like to see against Hungary - in a Dutch-style 4-2-3-1 formation would be:

1. Hart
2. Richards
3. A. Cole
4. Dawson
5. Jagielka
6. Hargreaves
7. Parker
8. Rodwell
9. Milner
10.Zamora
11.A.Johnson.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The future:

Hart

G. Johnson Rio Dawson A. Cole

Hargreaves Huddlestone

Milner/Young Gerrard A. Johnson

Rooney

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with the gist of your attack Mellotron but a back four containing a 32 year-old bloke with a dodgy back and a right-back that can't defend worries me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah you may be right. I just can't see who the replacements are. Also Johnson is SUPERB going forward so if he can improve just a SMIDGE at defending he could be a properly class full back.

Hopefully Richards will start showing more of his initial promise, Jagielka hasn't been anything to write home about from what I've seen.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When Richards broke into the England side he looked like the right-back equivalent of Ashley Cole. I still think he could be the answer, although playing under Mancini isn't going to help.

With the centre backs I don't think we need Bobby Moore and Des Walker here, just two guys who are good team players and don't do anything fancy.

If you look at the 3 teams left in the World Cup their central defenders aren't all that - Mathijsen/Heitinga, Pique/Puyol, Mertesacker/Friedrich.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
TOP THREE
75 votes.- Joe Hart
69 votes.- James Milner
66 votes.- Wayne Rooney

BOTTOM THREE
3 votes.- Jamie Carragher
6 votes.- Emile Heskey
10 votes.- Matthew Upson

It looks like Gerrard wins the Gerrard/Lampard debate, but both have a fairly low count!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hart, A.Cole, Terry, Rio, Johnson, J. Cole, Lampard, Milner, Rooney, Defoe

Interesting, Terry is the first player (possibly second after Heskey), that I would very much hope never plays for England again. I didn't rate him much as a defender beforehand (although, I probably would have picked him), thought he was utterly attrocious during the tournament, with the possible exception of parts of the Slovenia game. He is slow, and not good possitionally.

And that's leaving aside what he may have contributed negatively to the team spirit - which I actually care less about.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I voted for a few but for me the only ones to come out of the World Cup with any credibility were A.Cole, James, Barry and Milner.

Barry? He was shocking, clearly not fit but even so he was bloody awful when he played and the Germany game he was embarrassing especially for their 4th (or possibly 3rd can't remember, its when he lost the race even though he started a good 5 yards in front).
Only 2 forwards I would play again would be Rooney (has to play better surely) and Defoe. Like Heskey but too old and Crouch can suck my giblets. Terry can do one got found out as the slow player with poor positionally sense he has

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here