Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] players with stands named after them

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Getafe got their whole stadium named after Alfonso Perez who was a pretty average footballer playing for Betis, Barcelona and Real Madrid 1991-2005 but who never played for Getafe. One of the weirdest examples.

I believe it's named after him because he was born and grew up in the Getafe area of Madrid. Still slightly unusual, but there you go.

For the record, I think calling someone who played for Real and Barca as well as getting 40 caps for Spain (including playing at a World Cup, two Euros and an Olympics) a "pretty average footballer" suggests that you've raised the definition of "pretty average" quite considerably.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've always thought Charlie Webb should have a stand named after him

two reasons really

firstly,he was at the club for 40 years

and secondly,new generations of fans would learn a little bit of history about the club

Seconded. If we did have a stand named after a player then Charlie Webb should be first in line. He was Mr Albion

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
For the record, I think calling someone who played for Real and Barca as well as getting 40 caps for Spain (including playing at a World Cup, two Euros and an Olympics) a "pretty average footballer" suggests that you've raised the definition of "pretty average" quite considerably.

"Average" may not have been the correct word but Spain really wasnt that good back then

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Colin Bell at Manchester City

The fans' vote for the name of a stand in the new stadium was vetoed. I thought it had a great ring to it - the Bell End :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here