Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

players who were better at international level than club level?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
It was pointed out during the deadline day coverage yesterday that Julio Cesar was first choice for Brazil but only third choice for QPR...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely the ultimate England player must be Peter Crouch - OK at club level, lethal at international level.

OK vs. Man City (I think "OK" is being generous)
Lethal vs. Andorra.

Figures.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
It was pointed out during the deadline day coverage yesterday that Julio Cesar was first choice for Brazil but only third choice for QPR...

He was arguably QPR's best player last season. He isn't third choice because he's crap. It's down to his wages and the fact he probably wouldn't be seen dead playing in the 2nd tier. Especially in a home world cup year. I'm surprised the likes of Arsenal didn't snap him up yesterday. He'll be playing out of his skin over the next 9 to 10 months(when he sorts himself out with a club).

Kevin Doyle.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
He was arguably QPR's best player last season. He isn't third choice because he's crap. It's down to his wages and the fact he probably wouldn't be seen dead playing in the 2nd tier. Especially in a home world cup year. I'm surprised the likes of Arsenal didn't snap him up yesterday. He'll be playing out of his skin over the next 9 to 10 months(when he sorts himself out with a club).

Fair enough - but how is he going to sort himself out with a club before January if he's contracted to QPR? Doesn't that prevent him from moving (other than short-term loan, but that rules out top division football)? Or does he have a way out through differently-timed transfer windows in S America or wherever? Genuine question, I honestly don't know.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Fair enough - but how is he going to sort himself out with a club before January if he's contracted to QPR? Doesn't that prevent him from moving (other than short-term loan, but that rules out top division football)? Or does he have a way out through differently-timed transfer windows in S America or wherever? Genuine question, I honestly don't know.

Not 100% sure. I'm sure he can move on loan now. For what duration and whether there is any particular league/country restriction i'm not certain.

P.s I was in your neck of the woods recently on holiday Leith. My first visit. Scotland's a lovely place to explore. I had low expectations beforehand but was pleasantly surprised. Sound people as well :thumbsup:

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
David Healy must be the most obvious one.

It's strange, I do often wonder if someone like Jermaine Pennant or Cameron Jerome would play out of their skins for England purely because playing for another side would "suit" them better but I guess we'll never know.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Peter Crouch - in terms of goals.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I don't think he ever had the goal ratio at any of his clubs to match his England record.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I had a little look at the list of top scorers by country and some are quite interesting.

Who do you reckon is Italy's top goalscorer ever? or Portugal(not quite as suprising)?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
It's the same in cricket to a certain extent: Bob Willis didn't exactly distinguish himself for Warwickshire, but was consistently excellent for England, and England stars when released back to their counties rarely do that well - our own Matt Prior is a case in point. I can also remember several West Indian bowlers devastating England, but when playing for counties putting in very sub-standard performances - Patrick Patterson, who England found unplayable on one tour, was distinctly ordinary for Lancashire and the same applied to Winston Davis and Curtly Ambrose when playing for Northamptonshire, though Curtly's performances were transformed when the Northants captain (I can't remember who) changed him from a deep fielder to a slip fielder.

Quite an apt discussion given that Will Porterfield has just gone to his 50 for Ireland against England - more than he's scored for Warwickshire in a County Championship innings all season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
John Salako and Darius Vassell.

Good club players in the top flight, but international teams seemed to find both a real handful when they played for England. Surprising.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
P.s I was in your neck of the woods recently on holiday Leith. My first visit. Scotland's a lovely place to explore. I had low expectations beforehand but was pleasantly surprised. Sound people as well :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed your visit! I love it here - a bit too far from the Amex but otherwise has lots to recommend it. The West Highlands and islands are especially stunning, but so many folk in the central belt of Scotland, not to mention England, have never ventured that far.

Also, the notion of the Scots hating the English is massively overstated. 12+ years living here and I've only had grief for my nationality once, and that was from a sweary but harmless old soak in a pub.

While I'm on the subject, I'd throw in Kenny Miller as someone who looked a much better player at national than club level (though I accept the fact that it didn't take much to look relatively good in the Scotland teams of recent years).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here