Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players who have maximised/wasted their natural ability

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Lee Sharpe definitely in the wasted talent category

Would suggest that one-club-wonders like LeTissier, while admirable for their loyalty, could have had cabinets full of winners medals if they had ambition to match their talent

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can't think of any player that had so much wasted potential as Gazza. If he'd been able to apply himself like Beckham, he'd be up there with Pele and Maradona as one of the greatest to have ever played.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I find myself thinking about two players who were team mates at Manure a while ago:
Cristiano Ronald has kept himself up together and is still in demand and operating at the highest level.
I can’t help thinking that Wayne Rooney could have done even more with his playing career if he had applied himself better.
Juve or Derby?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
From a Brighton perspective it's hard to look beyond Leon Knight. Should have played the bulk of his career in the second tier but by the time he was in his late 20's he was playing in Northern Ireland

For a player who made the most of their talent- Gary Hart. A player who took each day as a professional footballer as a blessing and did as much as he could with what he had. Was part of 3 promotions (4 if you count his bit part role in Poyet's team), huge part of our great escape season. Played under countless managers. Always put in a shift in whatever role you put him in. Must have been a dream for a manager

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Really?

In terms of Brighton, don’t recall him being at Locadia’s level......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickey Thomas could play a bit - over 100 games for Manchester United and starred in a few. To be fair, he couldn't settle here apparently, but it was very clear he couldn't give a shite. I do think Locadia can (could)? also play .. when he felt like it. TBH, don't see much difference between the two.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really?

In terms of Brighton, don’t recall him being at Locadia’s level......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least Locadia scored some goals, Thomas was an absolute piss taking disgrace for us and brought nothing, as he was normally back in Wales on match days :lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
At least Locadia scored some goals, Thomas was an absolute piss taking disgrace for us and brought nothing, as he was normally back in Wales on match days :lolol:

Thomas was a busy lad

200.gif

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why wasted? Would he have scored better goals in another team?

Not everyone's ambition is about acquiring things. Some people's ambition is for happiness which is far more important.

This, I don't understand how Le Tissier has been dragged into this thread just because he decided to be loyal to his club...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seeing BDB score last night, he is a prime example of a man who's psychological make up has ensured he has got the maximum from his natural football ability. (See also Ashley Barnes).

Albion 'related' Players who had great natural ability and wasted it - Leon Knight/Wilfred Zaha (I'm watching Palace/Arsenal, how did he never make the level he should have ?)

2 of each :thumbsup:

"Natural ability"?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Gerry Ryan
Chris Ramsey (my favourite player "back in the day")

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
This, I don't understand how Le Tissier has been dragged into this thread just because he decided to be loyal to his club...

Got to agree with this. Some of the real "greats" stuck with their club through thick and thin. Maybe they didn't get the recognition they fully deserved at the time (International call-ups etc), but their iconic status survives.
I'm thinking of Le Tiss, Steve Bull and, even Lewis Dunk might come into this category.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can't think of any player that had so much wasted potential as Gazza. If he'd been able to apply himself like Beckham, he'd be up there with Pele and Maradona as one of the greatest to have ever played.

As we all can see now Gazza struggled mentally for years and he never got the help and support he needed. His move to Italy may not have done him any favours and he was never quite the same after his knee injury. Not sure he wasted his talent though, Had amazing skills and the ability to pick a game up by the scruff of the neck.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why wasted? Would he have scored better goals in another team?

Not everyone's ambition is about acquiring things. Some people's ambition is for happiness which is far more important.

Exactly I look forward to the day when we get a mega talented home grown player coveted by much bigger clubs, who decides he’d rather stay with us for a few seasons. Much like Grealish at Villa.

Can you imagine how over the moon (football parlance at it’s best :smile:) we’d be if Biss turned down offers and asked to stay with us?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

I actually was referring more to the fact that he only played 8 games for England.. Not necessarily his fault, but I find it a shame. I would never knock someone because they didnt join Man City, Man U etc...

PFW

Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk
John Crumplin, football genius!!!. Still don't know if he was a genius or just plain sh1t.

Remember him having John Barnes in his pocket all game, up at Anfield in the FA Cup though!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here