Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players who AREN'T on Fabrizio Romano's radar and what they bring

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As the transfer talk around some of our players ramps up again it got me thinking about our genuinely brilliant players who never seem to be on the wrong end of a transfer rumour. Two things:

1) Why is it that the like of March, Dunk, Gross and Veltman are never rumoured to be moving (I know Dunk was in the past but that seems to have mainly been a contract negotiating device!)? They are all fantastic Premier League players. Too good for #TeamsLike (say) Forest or Stains but not regarded as Top Six players? Just regarded now as Brighton players who expect to stay here? Something else?

2) But here's my main thought. The likes of Alexis, Moises, Big Ferg and Mitoma-san really need these players around them IMO. Without Dunk blocking shots and hitting big diagonals and generally being VERY comfortable on the ball, without Velts stout defending, partnering March and the dark arts, without March's assists, cut ins, drawing of defenders and preventing doubling up, without Gross being so damn creative from anywhere on the pitch (so much that he's been all three of his gaffers' undroppable player), the guys potentially eyeing up big money moves in the next couple of seasons really aren't anywhere near as desirable.

And, yes, I know Ale Mac won the World Cup but he had Messi drawing two players away from him and Argentina are also a very good team.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Exciting “flair” players get more clicks, more retweets etc and therefore make journalists more money.

As much as I love Dunk, March, Groß etc they aren’t going to get the 14 year olds & West Africans excited enough to cause a storm on Twitter.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
The age of each of those mentioned is a factor in how much clubs are willing to invest.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fair points about the quality of our ‘other’ players. However, I would presume wherever the leavers go they will have equally gifted players around them. Having said that Southgate has mentioned our unique style as a reason for not picking our players. Anybody leaving needs to think about whether or not their destination team will enable them to thrive like they have at Brighton. Especially if they go somewhere as turgid as Spurs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A lot of has probably got to do with how these players have 'burst onto the scene' and aren't associated with the club's time in the Championship and the Hughton PL years. Therefore, they are deemed 'better' than stalwarts such as March, Dunk and Groß.

There's probably also a bit of #TeamsLikeBrighton snobbery and that these players 'deserve their chance at the highest level', or some such drivel.

Finally, don't forget the role of the agent. Disgusting as it is, they are only doing their job in the best way if they are negotiating a big-money move for their client on a regular basis, which would no doubt be more lucrative than contract extensions...

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
As the transfer talk around some of our players ramps up again it got me thinking about our genuinely brilliant players who never seem to be on the wrong end of a transfer rumour. Two things:

1) Why is it that the like of March, Dunk, Gross and Veltman are never rumoured to be moving (I know Dunk was in the past but that seems to have mainly been a contract negotiating device!)? They are all fantastic Premier League players. Too good for #TeamsLike (say) Forest or Stains but not regarded as Top Six players? Just regarded now as Brighton players who expect to stay here? Something else?

2) But here's my main thought. The likes of Alexis, Moises, Big Ferg and Mitoma-san really need these players around them IMO. Without Dunk blocking shots and hitting big diagonals and generally being VERY comfortable on the ball, without Velts stout defending, partnering March and the dark arts, without March's assists, cut ins, drawing of defenders and preventing doubling up, without Gross being so damn creative from anywhere on the pitch (so much that he's been all three of his gaffers' undroppable player), the guys potentially eyeing up big money moves in the next couple of seasons really aren't anywhere near as desirable.

And, yes, I know Ale Mac won the World Cup but he had Messi drawing two players away from him and Argentina are also a very good team.
Looking at it like that, Todd needs to buy our entire team and coaching staff next time.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Which is why, despite being a reprehensible human specimen, Andy Jacobs has a point when he advises other clubs to never buy a Brighton player because they will never play as well for the new club as they do for Brighton!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exciting “flair” players get more clicks, more retweets etc and therefore make journalists more money.

As much as I love Dunk, March, Groß etc they aren’t going to get the 14 year olds & West Africans excited enough to cause a storm on Twitter.
Cynical, depressing and almost certainly the right answer. :thumbsup:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Fab dropped a bollock with Percy Tau

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here