Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players We Were Forced to Sell Off Cheaply For Financial Reasons. Could We Field A Team Of Them?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I thought we got 325k or thereabouts for Beeney? In 1993.

That was a load of money for a third tier player back then so I'm not sure he fits the o.p's criteria. Although he was undeniably sold for financial reasons.

I reckon the sale of Byrne fits the bill on both cheap and financial reasons counts. Cullip too or was that a fair price? There must be plenty of players sold in the 90's and 2000's that fit the bill.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
The opposite! We got £1million for a player who had a little streak of form in tier 3 and score a few goals. Old pals act between two ex team mates managing Brighton and Celtic. Went on to do nothing. That was a robbery, not a fire sale.

(It also came out of the blue. Only a week before the sale I'd bought a new away top with Virgo's name on it :ohmy: )
Did you have to pretend it was your star sign

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Saunders is the standout for me. Beeney sold off cheaply?! Liked him but the fee was inflated surely due to Wilko. I always thought Nelson £55k to Charlton was way too cheap but then 87 was my first season and he had a wonder season.
Nelse had a major falling out with Barry Lloyd, who was privately probably glad to see the back of him. As it turned out £55k was too cheap, Charlton got quite a few good years out of him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The opposite! We got £1million for a player who had a little streak of form in tier 3 and score a few goals. Old pals act between two ex team mates managing Brighton and Celtic. Went on to do nothing. That was a robbery, not a fire sale.

(It also came out of the blue. Only a week before the sale I'd bought a new away top with Virgo's name on it :ohmy: )
Spooooky, so did l weirdly enough, a nice red Skint number with 29 on the back.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I thought we got 325k or thereabouts for Beeney? In 1993.

That was a load of money for a third tier player back then so I'm not sure he fits the o.p's criteria. Although he was undeniably sold for financial reasons.

I reckon the sale of Byrne fits the bill on both cheap and financial reasons counts. Cullip too or was that a fair price? There must be plenty of players sold in the 90's and 2000's that fit the bill.
A load of money maybe, but Beeney's sale helped to keep the club alive. Such was our dire financial state at the time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spooooky, so did l weirdly enough, a nice red Skint number with 29 on the back.
Mine is mauve. Stretchy top. I thought his number was single figures?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
A load of money maybe, but Beeney's sale helped to keep the club alive. Such was our dire financial state at the time.
Oh undeniably he was sold to keep the club afloat. A matter of minutes or hours before we faced a winding up order I believe.

My point was more that the title says players we sold on the cheap for financial reasons. I'm not sure if his price counts as on the cheap, that's all.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I still stick by Zamora. Within the spirit of the game, he was sold when the Withers rent was being increased and we needed the money desperately to pay creditors.

We ended up getting around £1.2m rising to £1.5m I believe - which well below his value at a time we desperately needed the cash.

Earnshaw had gone for £3m already, so there was a precedent for those kinds of fees in our league.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I'll make a start with the goalkeeper, Mark Beeney, sold to Leeds for next to nothing in 1993 due to our severe financial plight at the time.

Many others players of course have suffered the same fate over the years. Let's have a few names, can we form a team?
Didn’t Beeny go for nearly 1mill? Which basically saved the club. I thought at the time we got very good money for him, not certain he was cheap. I’m sure there were rumours at the time that he’d gone for so much as the Leeds manager wanted to help us survive? Or did I dream all of that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Didn’t Beeny go for nearly 1mill? Which basically saved the club. I thought at the time we got very good money for him, not certain he was cheap. I’m sure there were rumours at the time that he’d gone for so much as the Leeds manager wanted to help us survive? Or did I dream all of that.
£350k l believe.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Dropped a bollock there. 🙄
Absolutely. Different world though. Managers doing deals - we live in a Premier League world now of extremely well paid and successful businessmen doing our deals.

As long as Super Tone and his team are here, we are the ones doing the great deals.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Absolutely. Different world though. Managers doing deals - we live in a Premier League world now of extremely well paid and successful businessmen doing our deals.

As long as Super Tone and his team are here, we are the ones doing the great deals.
So much more exciting though when deals were worked out on the back of a fag packet.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'll make a start with the goalkeeper, Mark Beeney, sold to Leeds for next to nothing in 1993 due to our severe financial plight at the time.

Many others players of course have suffered the same fate over the years. Let's have a few names, can we form a team?
To be fair, I thought Beeney wasn’t the best and we got more money for him than I ever thought he was worth.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I still stick by Zamora. Within the spirit of the game, he was sold when the Withers rent was being increased and we needed the money desperately to pay creditors.

We ended up getting around £1.2m rising to £1.5m I believe - which well below his value at a time we desperately needed the cash.

Earnshaw had gone for £3m already, so there was a precedent for those kinds of fees in our league.
Glenn Hoddle said that it was a steal at that price - i think a lot of us agreed with him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here