Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
From Stonewall Deputy Chief Executive Laura Doughty:

'By wearing rainbow laces players will send a message of support to gay players and can begin to drag football in to the 21st century.’

Yes, Laura, because us football fans are all cavemen aren't we?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

'By wearing rainbow laces players will send a message of support to gay players and can begin to drag football in to the 21st century.’

Not far off judging by some posts.

After all racist, sexist and other insults combined with obscenities are only banter!

Seen many posts claiming that without those ingredients there would be no atmosphere and "what do you expect at a football match?"

Add to that the compulsory pre, mid and post match drinking and I'm not convinced "cavemen" isn't an accurate description for many.

???

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Well actually I'd say there are a sizable minority at every football club who do indeed behave like 'cavemen' (& some where they are in the majority still). Anyway, why have you got such a Bee in your bonnet about the campaign to rid football from its long-standing anti-homo attitudes? Admittedly it's gonna take more than a few hundred pairs of boot-laces being worn on one day, but at least it shows that some professional footballers aren't afraid to show some solidarity to those of a different sexuality to the majority in & around the game. Shirley doing something - however trivial to you & many others - is better than doing sweet FA?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not far off judging by some posts.

After all racist, sexist and other insults combined with obscenities are only banter!

Seen many posts claiming that without those ingredients there would be no atmosphere and "what do you expect at a football match?"

Add to that the compulsory pre, mid and post match drinking and I'm not convinced "cavemen" isn't an accurate description for many.

???

Are you insulting cavemen ???

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
It does seem slightly strange that Brighton aren't backing this small gesture by Stonewall.
As a club who get homophobic abuse on a regular basis,and take a hard stance against it,it's a missed opportunity not to join in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe we should market 'Help for Homos' wristbands?

Definitely a lighthearted comment, I just can't tell if this is meant as mocking the "trivial gesture" of rainbow laces, or mocking the dismissive attitude toward the gesture by highlighting how these "trivial gestures" are a mainstay of social awareness campaigns. Or if it was just an excuse to use the phrase "help for homos".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not really sure why any of you would be remotely bothered by this campaign. The aim- and I would imagine it's been pretty successful on the basis of the posts, tweets, blogs and media reports thus far- is presumably to raise awareness of it as an issue.

I don't expect they anticipate eradicating it, but what it might do is make a few more people think about their behaviour, and consider that what they've always tended to think of as normal and acceptable within the confines of a football stadium, might just cause someone upset or offence.

Can't see how it adversely affects anyone here, so no need for the cynicism, IMHO (although I agree that the "Right Behind Gay Footballers" tagline is crass at best).

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Maybe we should market 'Help for Homos' wristbands?

ken.jpg

ps God forbid you suggesting a 'Help for Queeros' wristband instead...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It does seem slightly strange that Brighton aren't backing this small gesture by Stonewall.
As a club who get homophobic abuse on a regular basis,and take a hard stance against it,it's a missed opportunity not to join in.

Well the Stonewall/Paddy Power campaign does poke fun at us after all, though the actual Football v Homophobia campaign is supported by the club.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well actually I'd say there are a sizable minority at every football club who do indeed behave like 'cavemen' (& some where they are in the majority still). Anyway, why have you got such a Bee in your bonnet about the campaign to rid football from its long-standing anti-homo attitudes? Admittedly it's gonna take more than a few hundred pairs of boot-laces being worn on one day, but at least it shows that some professional footballers aren't afraid to show some solidarity to those of a different sexuality to the majority in & around the game. Shirley doing something - however trivial to you & many others - is better than doing sweet FA?

No, it is likely (IMHO) that the campaign is highly counter-productive. Not just trivial, but actually detrimental to the cause it proclaims to support.

Does it capture the potential seriousness of experiencing homophobia? No, it reduces the whole discussion to whether Premier League footballers will be wearing coloured laces or not.
Does it challenge homophobic attitudes? No, it fact, much of the language used by Paddy Power actually reinforces it.
Does it build alliances with football supporters that are not homophobic but not involved? No, the words of Laura Doughty that seemingly tar fans by the same brush are likely to alienate many supporters.
Will it demonstrate solidarity behind the issue of challenging homophobia in football? No, because of the lack of expertise and botched timescales, only a very small minority of clubs are backing it.
Does it further the discussion on what it will take to create the right pre-conditions for a player coming out at their club and feeling supported? No, there seems to have been absolutely very little work on this lately, as the focus and resources have been diverted into trying to get players to wear coloured laces.
Does it provide the platform for a much more effective campaign? It might do, but there is a massive likelihood that the minuscule act of wearing of laces by a small minority of players will be an end in itself. Like they've 'done their bit'. The campaign needed boldness from the start, with a desire to change hearts and minds, and maybe to try to get people to confront their own prejudices. Tough task, admittedly. Instead it chickened out by a relatively safe 'wearing an item of clothing to show awareness of an issue' campaign.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely ridiculous own goal by the organisers calling it Right Behind Gay Footballers. Oo-er missus, as 99% of match attendees will snigger at. Wasted opportunity to put their point across IMHO :facepalm:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
No, because how it occurs to me is that the campaign is highly counter-productive. Not just trivial, but actually detrimental to the cause it proclaims to support.

Does it capture the potential seriousness of experiencing homophobia? No, it reduces the whole discussion to whether Premier League footballers will be wearing coloured laces or not.
Does it challenge homophobic attitudes? No, it fact, much of the language used by Paddy Power actually reinforces it.
Does it build alliances with football supporters that are not homophobic but not involved? No, the words of Laura Doughty that seemingly tars fans by the same brush are likely to alienate many supporters.
Will it demonstrate solidarity behind the issue of challenging homophobia in football? No, because of the lack of expertise and botched timescales, only a very small minority of clubs are backing it.
Does it further the discussion on what it will take to create the right pre-conditions for a player coming out at their club and feeling supported? No, there seems to have been absolutely very little work on this lately, as the focus and resources have been diverted into trying to get players to wear coloured laces.
Does it provide the platform for a much more effective campaign? It might do, but there is a massive likelihood that the minuscule act of wearing of laces by a small minority of players will be an end in itself. Like they've 'done their bit'. The campaign needed boldness from the start, with a desire to change hearts and minds, and maybe to try to get people to confront their own prejudices. Tough task, admittedly. Instead it chickened out by a relatively safe 'wearing an item of clothing to show awareness of an issue' campaign.

Thanks for that well constructed, thought-provoking & very interesting reply, GR.

I certainly think you could possibly be right in everything you say tbh, but I live in hope that this admittedly comparatively tiny gesture will at least be another tiny step in the process of long-term change within football: & not just another case of a few pro's paying lip service to a cynical attempt at unprincipled self-promotion (with the 'Carry On Campaign' sloganeering) . That said, I personally can't see how a few hundred pairs of laces being sent out can do any harm to the continued debate. The positive changes I've both witnessed & experienced in my own lifetime regarding societal attitudes towards gender, race & sexuality gives me hope that football can mirror it. Football may always be a place where the last bastions of bigotry will always be present, but change is inevitable. Perhaps it ain't coming about at the pace & in the ways that some of us would certainly prefer, but then what fundamental shifts in attitudes ever follow a highly similar - or indeed rapid - linear trajectory? Rainbow laces may well prove to be a ill-conceived, gimmicky sideshow in the campaign to make football inclusive to non-hetero players & supporters alike, but I for one am prepared to give it a chance before consigning it to any dustbin of rubbish ideas. It ain't like there's ought to lose quite honestly (unless you're Paddy Power or Stonewall's 'Carry On' Division, obviously).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Palace on that list yet a big proposition of their fans sing a homophobic song every wk (granted its shit & cringey, and to the same tune as one we've always sang about them) and as far as I know the club hasn't attempted to stop their fans singing this shit or issued warnings. Ironic. :ffsparr:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Absolutely ridiculous own goal by the organisers calling it Right Behind Gay Footballers. Oo-er missus, as 99% of match attendees will snigger at. Wasted opportunity to put their point across IMHO :facepalm:

At least we'll have the guarantee of a good chortle whilst we're stuck in the stands, H. 'Can't say that's to be sniffed at these days. :thumbsup:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I would like them too...... if i was 9 years old!! ;-)

You need to find your inner child I reckon. Ask your GP if they sort you a CAT scan; & take along a pogo stick & a space hopper with you at the hospital appt. in case it suddenly appears. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here